Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 08:10 PM

2,327 posts, read 3,936,811 times

Advertisements

While the rain may not be welcomed in NE Texas and some other parts of the state, it has helped fill some reservoirs in West Texas. For example, Lake Alan Henry (owned by Lubbock) is 100% full, and Lake JB Thomas near Snyder (major water supply for Midland/Odessa) hasn't seen the current levels since the 1960's. Other lake levels have risen more modestly. However, there are still a few that remain in the single-digit percentage of flood capacity:

Water Data For Texas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 07:08 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Hey hey hey - more severe weather forecast for Sunday and Monday! Maybe we will rack up a few more tornadoes just to keep things interesting.

At least the HOA took care of the two trees that fell right across the street from my house, due to saturated soil. It was sort of distressing to have to look at. There was a news release yesterday about the danger of trees falling in areas with a high water table, which is much of this area. One guy locally got out of his car, walked about ten feet, heard a weird noise, and looked back to see a huge tree just slowly falling across his carport where he'd been standing three seconds before.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:49 PM

922 posts, read 1,698,844 times
Three confirmed tornadoes in Dallas/Farmers Branch, Houston & Irving.

Quote:
TWO EARLY MORNING TORNADOES ARE CONFIRMED IN DALLAS COUNTY
FROM THE OVERNIGHT STORMS. THE FIRST...BEGAN IN THE CITY OF DALLAS AS DAMAGE
TO TREES AND POWER LINES OCCURRED NEAR THE INTERSECTION OF WALNUT HILL AND
MARSH. THE TORNADO CONTINUED TO THE NORTH-NORTHWEST IN A NARROW CONVERGENT
PATH. AS THE TORNADO CROSSED OVER LBJ FREEWAY AT JOSEY LANE...AN APARTMENT
COMPLEX SUFFERED ROOF DAMAGE AS THE TORNADO MOVED INTO FARMERS BRANCH. MOST
OF THE DAMAGE IN THE CITY OF DALLAS WAS EF0 DAMAGE...BUT THE DAMAGE INCREASED
AS THE STORM MOVED INTO THE CITY OF FARMERS BRANCH. A FEW WAREHOUSE BUILDINGS
SUFFERED ROOF DAMAGE NEAR THE INTERSECTION OF VALWOOD PARKWAY AND I-35E BEFORE
THE TORNADO DISSIPATED NEAR STANDRIDGE STADIUM PARK...BARELY ACROSS THE
CARROLLTON CITY LIMITS.

Quote:
THE IRVING TORNADO OCCURRED ROUGHLY AT THE SAME TIME AS THE DALLAS / FARMERS
BRANCH TORNADO...BUT WAS SLIGHTLY STRONGER. THIS TORNADO PRODUCED EXTENSIVE
DAMAGE TO TREES...POWER LINES...AND BUSINESSES IN THE VICINITY OF HIGHWAY
114 AND MACARTHUR. THIS TORNADO BEGAN JUST NORTH OF A GOLF COURSE IN LAS
COLINAS...AND TRAVELED NORTHWEST FOR SLIGHTLY OVER A MILE. THE MOST EXTENSIVE
DAMAGE OCCURRED AT BUILDINGS ON NORTH MACARTHUR BOULEVARD BETWEEN CORPORATE
DRIVE AND WEST WALNUT HILL LANE.

Quote:
SURVEY RESULTS INDICATE A FAST MOVING TORNADO BRIEFLY TOUCHED DOWN AT TWO POINTS
EARLY SUNDAY MORNING. THE FIRST AREA OF DAMAGE WAS LOW-END EF1 AND EF0 DAMAGE TO
A STORAGE FACILITY ALONG AND JUST WEST OF GESSNER RD. THE SECOND AREA BEGAN JUST
NORTH OF BISSONNET ST. AND JUST EAST OF GESSNER RD. AND IMPACTED AN APARTMENT COMPLEX.
THIS IS WHERE THE MINOR INJURIES AND MORE SIGNIFICANT DAMAGE OCCURRED. MOST OF THE
DAMAGE WAS EF0, HOWEVER ONE LOCATION HAD COMPLETE ROOF REMOVAL AND EVIDENCE OF SOME
INTERIOR WALL COMPROMISE CONSISTENT WITH EF1 DAMAGE. 12 STORY GLASS FACADE BUILDING
JUST SOUTH OF THE COMPLEX ALONG BISSONNET ST. HAD SEVERAL NORTH-FACING WINDOWS BLOWN
OUT INDICATIVE OF ROTATION WITH THE DAMAGING WINDS.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:47 PM

286 posts, read 569,808 times
We've had a few tornadoes down south in Corpus Christi as well.
It's an El Nino year. Get used to the wet, and storm activity. Anybody complaining about the rain is welcome to either a)learn to control the weather, b)get over it, or c)move to a desert.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:58 PM

352 posts, read 570,384 times
Default Well, at least...

Texas Drought issues-SOLVED...right?

Old 05-26-2015, 08:49 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,904,112 times
The rain and storms have been relentless for quite some time now. I've been glued to the weather channel for the past week or so. Seeing streets like Memorial Drive in Houston under water and people having to be rescued is surreal. It would be nice if California could get some of this precipitation.

Keep your head up Texas the entire nation is your corner!!

Old 05-26-2015, 11:38 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
We got about 11" in 4-5 hours in Fort Bend Co last night. The lightning and thunder was continuous over that period of time. Amazing that we did not lose power.

We have definitely had our share of rain this spring.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:41 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,319,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mcninja View Post
We've had a few tornadoes down south in Corpus Christi as well.
It's an El Nino year. Get used to the wet, and storm activity. Anybody complaining about the rain is welcome to either a)learn to control the weather, b)get over it, or c)move to a desert.
I would love to do (A). I am absolutely serious. I would love NOTHING more than to be able to take over the weather wholly and completely. I could certainly do a much better job than whatever force or entity is doing it now. Heck Beavis and Butthead could do a better job than this.

I mean, how hard can it be? Whatever is normal, do that--always. Where I live the normal amount of rain for a year is 52 inches if I'm not mistaken. So, year one--52 inches. Next year--52 inches. The year after that--52 inches. Rinse, lather, repeat. This practice of raining barely 30 inches one year and then raining about 70 the next year--STOP IT. The first person who complained that weather always doing the same thing every year was "boring" would endure the wrath of people like in Sodom and Gomorrah, for DARING to wish this kind of nonsense as something for us to have to tolerate.

It's just like following a recipe--the recipe says 2 cups of sugar, well if you use 2 cups of sugar in your dish every single time, everything's fine. If one time you put in 1/4 cup of sugar, then the next time 7 cups of sugar, then 1 cup of sugar, then 5 cups etc etc--you get nothing but total unpredictability. And I do not care what anyone says, weather should NEVER be unpredictable. Ever. It should be the most predictable "you can set your watch by it" situation there is on the whole entire planet.

I mean, what if your job was 8-5, but instead of always showing up at 8, one day you showed up at 5 in the morning, then one day noon, then one day 6 ,then one day 10, etc? How long would you last? Exactly--they'd fire someone that unpredictable and throw their butt out of the door. For the same reason, Mother Nature needs to be fired and find her butt thrown out the door.

If I could show Mother Nature the door for a job done just plain sorry and stupid and assume control myself, I'd be delighted, and again I'd simply have the weather adhere to the norms with absolutely no deviation ever. If one wish were granted to me, I'd have a real hard time not having this wish be it. I guess relatives who are terminally ill with a serious illness, curing them would come higher on the list, even then it would be a close call. I hate roller coaster weather that much. It's as if whoever is up there in charge of this is treating us like ships in a video game to shoot, enjoying all the drama and such, not understanding that we're REAL PEOPLE here just trying to live life without being personally harassed by the weather.

Last edited by shyguylh; 05-26-2015 at 01:00 PM..

Old 05-26-2015, 12:13 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
I finally found this thread!
My heart is breaking for you people!
15 days after this thread started and it's only getting worse there...they
said on Good Morn Am....
more rain is expected all the week!

How can water rise 26 feet in an hour! But it did...this is Biblical as they said on TV.
People lost...the young girl with the tiara!
The mom and her children as their house was swept away...15 tornadoes again yesterday!!
And in Mexico....

I am following as much as I can.. our town sent Red Cross people yesterday.
You know I lived in Austin and San Antonio for years in the 70s ...
I love Texas and you guys!

I can not imagine what is happening ...100s of homes gone...sorry going on and on
...I am just beside myself for you there.

That was me that got cut off Kathryn repping u.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:55 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,814,354 times
It is known that some years there are storms with floods and tornadoes that may reshape the norm. Obviously, this is one of those years. Some predictions have Texas as cooler and wetter than usual. So far, those predictions are fairly correct.

Thanks Miss Hepburn for your concern and assist. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas