Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2015, 12:26 AM

16 posts, read 52,583 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm moving to Texas from San Francisco mid next month. I just graduated and am planning on buying my first car from private sellers after I move. I will find a place to live and have my lease contract signed first, just so to get my new driver license from the local DMV as soon as possible. Once these are done I will do some research and buy my first car from private sellers. The thing is, I need to get on a two-week trip across several states in the east coast from mid September and I want to drive myself.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get a new license plate from the local DMV in Texas when I go for registration and title transfer? Do I get it right away? If not, will I be issued a temporary license plate so I can drive my car before the permanent one is mailed to me? If this is the way it works, how long is this temporary license plate valid for? Can I travel across state boarders with it?

Thanks for your answer to any of the above questions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 12:37 AM

2,366 posts, read 1,647,517 times
The seller may opt opt to keep their plates for whatever reason (maybe they have personalized plates), or the seller can leave them on the car and they can be transferred to your name. If the seller keeps the plates, you can print a temp tag to get you to the DMV. https://vision21.txdmv.gov/Vehicle/V...ForPermit.aspx
Once you pay the tax, title, and registration, the clerk will hand you your new plates. Texas is a two state plate so be sure to mount them both on your car. Cops here will issue citations for a missing front plate.

Oh, and welcome to the Great State of Texas!

Old 07-29-2015, 12:48 AM

Thanks for the info Horizonite! It's good news to me.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonite View Post
The seller may opt opt to keep their plates for whatever reason (maybe they have personalized plates), or the seller can leave them on the car and they can be transferred to your name. If the seller keeps the plates, you can print a temp tag to get you to the DMV. https://vision21.txdmv.gov/Vehicle/V...ForPermit.aspx
Once you pay the tax, title, and registration, the clerk will hand you your new plates. Texas is a two state plate so be sure to mount them both on your car. Cops here will issue citations for a missing front plate.

Oh, and welcome to the Great State of Texas!
Another question just pops up in my head, Horizonite. Let's say I will move to San Antonio. If the car I'm gonna get was previously registered in Houston, can I buy the car in Houston from the owner and drive it back to San Antonio for registration, title and tax? Is there anything I should know before considering buy cars from other cities?

Thanks for your help!

Old 07-29-2015, 05:13 PM

You're welcome!
No. All Texas counties are governed by the DMV so all registration procedures are basically the same with the exception that some counties require your vehicle to pass an emissions test as well as the mandatory safety inspection. I would have the car inspected by a competent mechanic so that you can be assured that your car will pass inspection. If you're buying a vehicle and the red "check engine" light is on, it won't pass emissions testing in counties that require it and fixing those can be expensive.

I would also highly recommend running a Carfax or Autocheck. Heavy rains in east Texas have caused quite a bit of flooding and some used car lots are offering flood cars. You don't want to buy one of those. Flood cars are ticking time bombs and eventually the car will prove unreliable and will conk out on you.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:08 PM

Thanks for the info Horizonite! It really helps a lot as I barely know anything about cars. Regarding running Carfax/Autocheck for shortlisted used cars it's exactly the plan. But your words made me aware of flood cars problems and in fact i'm planning on getting my car from east TX cities such as Houston and Galvelston as the used cars supply there is a lot higher than other areas in TX. Then how can i avoid getting one of these flood cars? Any indication of it on Carfax/autocheck report?

Thanks again!

Old 07-30-2015, 02:29 AM

When an insurance company pays a claim on a vehicle that was flood damaged, by law that vehicle's clean title must be converted to a salvage title and gets reported to Autocheck, Carfax, and the National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB).

https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck

I would check prospective vehicles Vehicle Identification Numbers (VIN) with NICB first, as their service is free. They will only report title status (clean or salvage), but it's a good starting point. For a full report you would have to buy the Autocheck or Carfax reports. Be aware that it is possible for a vehicle to have been damaged by flood or collision and not show up on reporting services. This can happen when the vehicle is not fully insured at the time of loss, hence a claim could not have been made. This scenario would occur more with older vehicles where the owner dropped the full coverage. Here's where the services of a good mechanic or a body shop come in.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:07 AM

Thanks a lot Horizonite! Will definitely follow your advice on the NICB-Carfax-mechanics procedure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas