Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 07:53 PM

4,506 posts, read 4,627,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
The only parts of Texas that are worth traveling any great distance to see from a natural beauty point of view (The I'll buy a flight, check my backpack and hike for a week when I arrive spots) will require you to travel several hours from the big cities.
Obviously you never been to the Texas Hill Country. You should take a trip thru there sometime. You owe it to yourself if you're going to live in Texas and you like to hike.

It's several hours less than a 7 hour drive from Dallas and Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 08:00 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,121,120 times
Quote:

My guides during my visited were from Katy and Plano respectively but knew basically nothing about the center cities. I know alot more about Dallas than tons of metroplex natives. I've even found I know more about Houston than some natives of the greater Houston area.

I really like both cities now of course, but you need a knowledgeable guide to show you around if you visit, and even then, it's a way better place to live than visit.
This has been my experience as well. You forgot to mention obnoxious, greedy, and snobby mega-burbs like Frisco who refuse to cooperate in order to make DFW a more sustainable and livable place. Arlington is another major offender. I really can't think of any other metro with suburbs filled with such big egos than the ones in DFW. It's not like they offer something truly unique or significant. Their whole role is to continue to exacerbate sprawl, classism, and redundancy (endless corporate chains). You see this "attitude" played out on the Dallas C-D forum where posters will argue to death over PSAT NMQST Scholars, SAT scores, etc. between the top 5 high schools in DFW.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:03 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,271,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Obviously you never been to the Texas Hill Country. You should take a trip thru there sometime. You owe it to yourself if you're going to live in Texas and you like to hike.

I've been to Austin numerous times. I've done the drive from San Antonio to Fredricksberg to Johnson City, Marble Falls, Burnet etc on my way back to Dallas during blue bonnet season. It is pretty.

It isn't the great smoky Mountains, Rockies, or even the Ozarks. It isn't a plan a road trip from the other side of the country to see it beautiful like the Grand Canyon or Arches, or the Sierras.

I'm used to https://www.google.com/maps/place/St...4d-114.934845#
being a 2.5 hour drive.

not this: https://www.google.com/maps/@30.3398...!7i3584!8i1792

being almost 4 hours.

I would compare the hill country it to the Wisconsin Dells, which while very pretty themselves, don't justify a trip in their own right, but are worth going a little out of your way if you are in the area.

The Hill Country is nice, but Texans over hype it and then get sore if you don't think it's the Grand Canyon.

Big Bend on the other hand, which I have yet to get out to, is a destination in it's own right. I can't wait to get a week off and spend it out there.

Last edited by Treasurevalley92; 10-30-2018 at 07:25 AM..

Old 10-30-2018, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
Yet, you're still here in Texas...
This response right here sums it up. Texans can't take any objective criticism.

Yeah, Texas is great. The Jobs, Food, and most of the people are really great. I like it here despite what it lacks.

But I think I'm offering a pretty good set of reasons as to why lots of people visit, are unimpressed, and then hear the Texas homers go on and on about how great their state is and don't get it, or just find it outright annoying.

Last edited by Treasurevalley92; 10-30-2018 at 07:37 AM..

Old 10-30-2018, 07:23 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,955,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post

The Hill Country is highly overrated. The Hill Country is very pretty... for Texas. But compared to the scenery in much of the rest of the country, its average at best. It's nothing compared to the Smokies or Ozarks, let alone the true mountains out west.

I'm obviously not a native Texan. When I first moved here, people raved about the hill country so figured it must be spectacular. The first time I visited, it struck me as a poor man's cross between the smokies and California. For my money, east Texas is a lot prettier.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:31 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,955,347 times
Quote:
This response right here sums it up. Texan's can't take any objective criticism.

Yeah, Texas is great. The Jobs, Food, and most of the people are really great. I like it here despite what it lacks.
This response absolutely does sum it up. Texas has an extremely long list of positives, but the aesthetics ain't one of them. I don't think it's possible to look at Texas as a whole objectively and say "man, that is one of the prettier places around". I personally would rank Texas as in the top 10 ugliest states. Possibly top 5 but definitely top 10.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:42 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,840,453 times
I don't believe it has anything to do with Texas, or the people. If a person doesn't like where they live, they should move. Complaining about it and doing nothing is a waste of time, air and energy.
The biggest reason someone will complain about the place they live is, they live there, 24/7. I know the pro's and con's about Texas, so, I have the right to gripe about what I don't like, and to love what I do.
I can't complain about Idaho, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, etc, because I don't/haven't lived there. You talk about what you know, otherwise, you're blowing smoke. Just because someone voices their opinion doesn't mean they're ANTI, this or that. It means they've got an opinion. I could gripe about the humidity and heat in Texas one day, and the next boast how great a place it is to live.
Opinion is not knowledge, & he that knows that, has true Knowledge.
I remember a billboard many years ago, which read, "Vote!" "Don't give up your right to complain!"
If you have true knowledge of a place, then you can speak for or against it. To say, New Yorkers are loud, boastful, blah blah, and having never lived there? Really, by what experience are you making that statement. Ditto for those that say Texans are loud, boastful, and whatever. You talk to one or two people and make that judgement? By that standard, People from Vermont are serial killers and rapists. People from Ohio are psychopathic killers and sadists. People from Illinois are crazed bombers. etc. One or two or a dozen doesn't make a good demographic pool for judgement. Live and let live. If you're happy where you're at, enjoy, if not, move to where you will be. But don't just complain for the sake of hearing your words come out of your mouth.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:11 AM

I'm not even complaining at this point, I love Texas, I'm just explaining why it doesn't show well, even if it has many many positives that make it a nice place to live.

The ruggedness of Texas and big sky has even grown on me, but that took years and I'm still not about to rank it in the top 2/3 of states I've been to scenery wise.

It isn't 100% fair, but there are alot of Texans and the ones who have money travel. Not unlike New Yorkers most people at some point have come in contact with loud, brash and rude people from our State. I agree it isn't fair to judge a state based on a few people, but people do that all the time, there is a grain of salt of truth to it. Stereotypes often have an ounce of truth to them, even if they are an unfair way to judge people.

This other group of Texans were waving a Texas flag at the end of a hike in Rocky Mountain National park when I was there just last summer, saying Colorado was a province of Texas. (Cringe) My family was giving me a hard time saying I should join them. When I studied in Rome you always had that one guy (or several) who would bring a Texas flag to wave around outside the Vatican.

It's hard to expect old stereotypes to die when people keep doing silly stuff like that.

Old 10-30-2018, 11:36 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,777,261 times
Quote:
Furthermore, Texans don't always give the best impression when they are outside the state. Ask folks in Colorado. Wealthy Texans have been visiting Colorado for generations and their loudness, litter, and awful driving is not appreciated by a lot of the locals, even if they depend on the tourist dollar.

In my home state of Idaho a couple Texas billionaires just purchased a TON of land. They say it's because they love it and don't want to interfere, but one of the first things they did was put gates and dig ditches on their private roads that lead to the national forest. As long as those roads have existed, previous land owners have allowed people to cross their land to reach the public land as in many cases, they are the only real way to get there. The forest service even uses them. No one disagrees that it's within their legal rights to do this, but it's a big middle finger to all the folks from around there. Now you have half a state of people thinking "**** oil rich Texans."

Most Texans arn't jerks like this, but there are enough of them, and the culture is loud and brash enough that just about everyone has see a yosemite sam type character from Texas at some point and people tend to remember negative experiences more than positive ones.

Really the same thing can be said about New Yorkers as well.
Really, the same thing can be said of anyone of any state/country if they tend to have this type of disposition. Stands to reason it will be noticed more if the populations are larger (better odds of seeing it). Much ado over nothing IMO.

Quote:

My guides during my visited were from Katy and Plano respectively but knew basically nothing about the center cities. I know alot more about Dallas than tons of metroplex natives. I've even found I know more about Houston than some natives of the greater Houston area.
You strike me as the type of person who knows a lot more about a lot of things than tons of other people do.

Quote:
most people at some point have come in contact with loud, brash and rude people from our State. I agree it isn't fair to judge a state based on a few people, but people do that all the time,

"people do that all the time". Uh huh, narrow minded people.

Old 10-30-2018, 11:38 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,777,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
This response absolutely does sum it up. Texas has an extremely long list of positives, but the aesthetics ain't one of them. I don't think it's possible to look at Texas as a whole objectively and say "man, that is one of the prettier places around". I personally would rank Texas as in the top 10 ugliest states. Possibly top 5 but definitely top 10.
Well, they say beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas