Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2020, 03:22 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,986,308 times

Advertisements

Abbott is the Republican Party in a nutshell and a perfect example of why Republicans will probably NEVER have control of anything again in the U.S
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2020, 05:39 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,599,623 times
It will only be worth it if they can do a real reopening within a month

Old 07-25-2020, 07:14 PM

8,344 posts, read 5,498,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Abbott is the Republican Party in a nutshell and a perfect example of why Republicans will probably NEVER have control of anything again in the U.S
I’m a Democrat and didn’t vote for Abbott and I hate Trump.

But I think people are being too hard on Abbott.

I think initially he did the best he could with the information he had. I also think he is doing the best he can to walk the tight rope between safety and economical catastrophe.

To me, Trump is the failure. He’s awful. But I won’t put Abbott on that same level.

Old 07-25-2020, 07:17 PM

25,570 posts, read 17,281,298 times
Shut down Texas?
And not allow anyone in or out?!
"Hundreds of doctors" are dingbats, if that's the case. If that kind of shutdown is not what we are talking about they are dreaming. Texas is not an island.

Can't be done.

Old 07-25-2020, 07:32 PM

117 posts, read 80,787 times
I don't think the public will do another shutdown. Not just in TX, but most anywhere.
The economy is still functioning, people are working and spending money, the stock market is holding steady.
One group wants the economy to fail so they can blame the other group and that's not going to happen.
We're learning to live and navigate with the virus around us, it's a matter of common sense. Those who don't believe in the dangers will change their minds after someone in their inner circle gets real sick or worse...that will be the next curve that needs to bend. The common sense curve.

Old 07-25-2020, 07:59 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,707 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Really feel for the airlines, especially TX based SWA and AA. Bleeding cash by the buckets (everyday)

State revenues in the gutter

Potential shutdowns, but more potential and obvious businesses going broke.

None of this was necessary, Texas had tons of early warning and available resources. (in Feb)

Old 07-26-2020, 06:30 AM

1,514 posts, read 890,732 times
Another shutdown is needed. Not a permanent or long lasting one but one in which it is followed in the recommended duration. Failure to do so will just prolong, drag out and amplify economic collateral damage, personal suffering and death. Should have been done the first time like some other free countries did but we did not.

Overall, we as a society are stubborn, greedy and rebellious and unfortunately, now its time to pay the pipper. The longer we wait, the more collateral damage will continue. Time to pull the plank out of our eye to deal with the infection in full (instead of half measures and just recommendations) and instead of pretending the plank in our eye is a hoax, not that bad, is inflated, will dissapear.

Last edited by txbullsfan; 07-26-2020 at 06:43 AM..

Old 07-26-2020, 06:41 AM

2,674 posts, read 2,627,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbullsfan View Post
Another shutdown is needed. Not a permanent or long lasting one but one in which it is followed in the recommended duration. Failure to do so will just prolong, drag out and amplify economic collateral damage, personal suffering and death. Should have been done the first time like some other free countries did but we did not. Overall, we as a society are stubborn and rebellious and unfortunately, now its time to pay the pipper. The longer we wait, the more collateral damage will continue. Time to pull the plank out of our eye to deal with the infection in full (instead of half measures and just recommendations) and instead of pretending the plank in our eye is a hoax, not that bad, is inflated, will dissapear.
Why wouldn't the virus have a resurgence when the next shutdown ended, like what's happening in California right now?

Old 07-26-2020, 06:47 AM

15,530 posts, read 10,499,357 times
I don't know what you mean by shutdown. I'm in Dallas and everyone is wearing a mask, doing curbside take out, in person business by appointment only and no school. Do you want people sealed in their homes? Earlier on, people were still going to birthday parties and bbq's in the park, but most have buckled that down now. Just put on your mask and go to work, get home and have a cold one while watching tv.

Old 07-26-2020, 07:06 AM

1,514 posts, read 890,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
Why wouldn't the virus have a resurgence when the next shutdown ended, like what's happening in California right now?
With half baked, ad hoc, hodge podge suggestions / measures that vary dramatically from city to city and state to state, there would be a resurgence as well as embers that keep traveling and getting flamed and more Forrest fires starting. Exactly the thing the US is seeing now when for some other countries who did lock down, the Forrest fire / Covid 19 did largely burn out. This will just keep getting dragged out and there will continue to be more (and more severe) collateral damage. That is why I am of the belief the shutdown has to be at the Federal level until this thing burns out (like it has for other countries who mandated things at the federal level). Thats why I never understood the "but we are a small town" and "but our numbers are low" and "let each local government do their own thing for a national pandemic" mentality.

American's do not live in a bubble. If Texas shuts down but say Florida doesn't (or vice versa), or Houston shuts down but Dallas doesn't, people still congregate and travel. We are social creatures and while we wont be able to go into a local shut down bar, we will travel to and congregate wherever there is a beach, park, city, state that is open and just to "get away and relax". So virus Hotspot like Texas (or Houston) may burn out with a lockdown but what good is that ad hoc lock down if those people traveling from a lockdown city with a high case load travel to another open city (or rural town) and cause infection there and those people, once (unknowingly) infected do the same?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas