Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 12:33 PM

8 posts, read 13,456 times

Advertisements

I recently retired. Wanting to move from Wisconsin to Texas. Wondering what the best place would be. Would like to be around good health care. Need to purchase a house. Are there certain areas/cities that have lower property taxes? Please recommend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2020, 12:36 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
What's your budget?
Do you want urban, suburban, or rural?

Old 01-27-2020, 12:46 PM

694 posts, read 834,755 times
A general response to these kind of questions is a small town in the vicinity of San Antonio, where you could drive in to a hospital there for treatment.

Texas in general has high property tax to make up for the lack of income taxes. When you are working, its kind of an even trade off, when you stop working, and have no income, you lose the benefit of having no income tax, but still have to deal with the high property taxes. You can avoid higher property taxes somewhat by sticking to smaller towns.

You would have to provide more information about your likes and dislikes in order to get any usable advice.

Looking for beaches?
Lakes?
Fishing?
Horseback riding?
Hiking?
VA hospital?
Arts and museums?
Live music?
Forests?
Desert?
Tolerance to Heat/Humidity?
Sports?

Old 01-27-2020, 12:59 PM

Thinking probably suburban since I don't want to be real far from good hospital and from stores. I am in a wheelchair and just need to escape the cold weather of Wisconsin. My budget for house would be between $200k-$250k. Don't have much for likes or dislikes. I do enjoy biking and can tolerate heat/humidity over the cold. Do not want to be in a place where I need to evacuate for hurricanes. Understand that since I am not working I would lose benefit of no income state tax. So was looking for place where property taxes would be less if there is such a place.

Not sure how housing prices compare from Wisconsin to Texas. Currently pay property taxes in Wisconsin at $2,600 per year for house, garbage, sewer on a 150k house in suburban area.

Last edited by ArtVan15; 01-27-2020 at 01:12 PM..

Old 01-27-2020, 01:16 PM

https://taxease.com/lowest-property-...xas-by-county/

Old 01-27-2020, 01:28 PM

I did check out those lowest property tax counties earlier. Those look pretty rural with not a lot of population in the counties so not sure they would have good health care near by.

Old 01-27-2020, 01:40 PM

202 posts, read 352,349 times
So I live in belton (up and coming area and Baylor Scott and white healthcare is headquartered in temple, so no shortage of healthcare)...my home was 175k and we pay 4300 a year. Sooooo property taxes here are high. But we’re close to any major city and pretty good weather

Old 01-27-2020, 01:53 PM

The closest you could likely get to San Antonio with lower taxes would likley be Karnes County. There is a hospital in Karnes City, and its about an hour to San Antonio for wider healthcare choice choices.

Maybe Gonzales County.

Karnes City Community Chamber of Commerce - Tourist Attractions

https://www.gonzales.texas.gov/

I like Seguin, its close in to San Antonio, but taxes are likley higher

Victoria is actually a pretty little town, closer to Houston

https://explorevictoriatexas.com/

Last edited by SugLandDAd; 01-27-2020 at 02:41 PM..

Old 01-27-2020, 03:21 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Be careful about the rural hospitals, such as the one in Karnes City mentioned above which is only licensed for 20 beds, and is only a level 4 trauma center. Many small rural hospitals have trouble getting good doctors, and are often financially shaky. Many rural hospitals have closed in recent years due to financial difficulties, so you'd hate to move somewhere and have the only hospital close.

Segiun would be a much better choice since they have a bigger hospital, and it isn't as far from new Braunfels and San Antonio.

Old 01-27-2020, 04:24 PM

Looked at some houses on realtor.com. Looks like you pay a lot more in property taxes. Looks like double. You must pay a lot for schools. Wisconsin was supposed to be ranked just under Texas for some of the highest property taxes in the country. That doesn't look to be true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas