Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2021, 10:17 AM

24,648 posts, read 10,980,030 times

Advertisements

I can only chime as far as commute is concerned. 2 1/2 hours is horrible and unrealistic. Fracture in gas and wear and tear on the vehicle. Then factore in actual housing cost - taxes, insurance, maintenance, repairs. Not to mention closing costs. What will the new a/c on a fixer upper which is basically what you get in your target areas and your need with a family of six set yiu back for when the budget is already tight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2021, 11:09 AM

9,853 posts, read 13,719,600 times
Get a realtor and don’t engage with any of this immigration conversation.

Old 11-07-2021, 12:41 PM

2,442 posts, read 2,533,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
So you know how OP's relatives came/will come to the US?
Semi-legal immigration to the US is something I am not familiar with. Can you please elaborate?
This was a comment to the moderator's post above regarding 2000 Romanians crossing Mexico-US border, and it has nothing to do with the OP.
It's off topic anyway, but I was just curious about that post above initially.

Old 11-07-2021, 03:16 PM

61,870 posts, read 87,339,575 times
They are not crossing illegally. They just don't need a visa to travel to Mexico.
My comment was about that there are Romanian immigrants in the US, but I don't know where they end staying. OP asked for Romanian communities.

And yes, this is off-topic and ends here.

Old 11-08-2021, 01:41 AM

160 posts, read 233,705 times
I'm rethinking the commute. Thanks for the input.
I don't need 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms if it's not in our price point. We live in a 1376 Sq ft rental with 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, now and it's okay.

Would you guys think Waco, College Station, or New Braunfels and surrounding areas could be options? He only goes to the office 2-4 times a month. Not a few times a week. He was working from home before Covid and there are coworkers that live in San Antonio, Houston, even one in Mexico. He has a flex schedule.

Just a quick explanation, Romanians are eastern Europeans. Romani are gypsy people and although many come from Romania, they are considered minorities (kind of like Native Americans are for us.) My husband is not Romani. My husband is a fully legal US citizen and the mentioned family are legal permanent residents. Just FYI.

Last edited by Danimarie; 11-08-2021 at 02:02 AM..

Old 11-08-2021, 06:16 AM

2,442 posts, read 2,533,159 times
Why not to consider Bastrop?
Median house price is currently around 330K in Bastrop. There is a chance to find something priced slightly below that.
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...2_M94898-57070
The schools attached to this house are not that good, but at least the price is OK. I'm pretty sure you can find something within this budget in small towns around Bastrop State Park.
Overall tons of options I believe. You just need to look yourself.
And how about LaGrange?

The typical home value of homes in La Grange is $278,480. This value is seasonally adjusted and only includes the middle price tier of homes.

Old 11-08-2021, 11:19 AM

9,853 posts, read 13,719,600 times
Why not just go for a road trip and see what’s out there? Some of my favorite family memories is when we’d get in the car (family of four) and would look for homes in the area in and around San Antonio up to Austin. My family never moved (long stupid story) but I loved that time together.

Old 11-09-2021, 10:39 AM

160 posts, read 233,705 times
Thanks for the suggestions. We do plan to drive around and scout areas. The person who thought a fixer upper is all we'd get hasn't looked at the prices closer to Houston or College Station or possibly Seguin or around there. There are still some decent looking options. NW of Houston came on our radar because of the bro on law. I know the commute will stink and wear and tear on the car. But, we can get decent car for close to ten grand and run it down. Cheaper than a house. We have one of those vehicles already. I'll let my husband decide if he's okay with that commute. He actually doesn't mind driving and it's 2-4 times a month. So, it seems possible to me. But, I do truly appreciate your perspectives! We shall see. Seeing things in person will certainly help narrow things down. We'll have a realtor, or a few, for sure. I am keeping an open mind to various areas within range. Waiting does not seem wise. Everyone is moving to Texas and my husband's job is very good and not transferable.

Old 11-09-2021, 10:56 AM

1,742 posts, read 1,037,253 times
You need to decide if you want big city living or small city living. If you are fine with small city living then maybe consider Brenham as an option...

Old 11-09-2021, 01:15 PM

1,952 posts, read 832,001 times
LaGrange is a nice little town! My mother is retired and moved there and I spend quite a bit of time in the area.

You are an hour and 20 min from Austin and 1.5 hours to Houston. Low crime rates and the area is full of people of German, Czech and Polish ancestry. There are plenty of stores and a nice sized high school. It is a great place to raise a family or retire, really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas