Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2023, 10:02 AM

7 posts, read 8,271 times

Advertisements

this post will begin with a personal note

please read the major red flag in the market section

Major Red Flag in the Market

I've noticed drive thru shops opening up in the city I live in and through Texas and California. They sell slushy style daiquiris or maybe similar alcoholic beverages.

I've heard people including the employees say how customers will pop the straw through the tape and drink
the alcoholic beverages that are sold by these drive thru shops while still on the road driving.
I believe it was the employee of one of these shops and a fellow coworker say it in the same weekend, that or within a week from each other.

Its my understanding that a open container alcoholic beverage is any kind of alcohol that has been opened, whether it be a beer
or vodka, or whiskey, etc. If a police officer pulls you over and sees any of these in your car, its going to be an issue.
So, it would make sense that selling people alcoholic beverages through a drive thru, in a to-go cup as a beverage that quickly melts is not a closed container alcoholic beverage. I'm not a lawyer but it seems to be promoting drinking and driving, and encouraging it. Putting a piece of tape over a to-go cup does not make it a closed container.

I won't lessen the argument by saying that if you put a piece of tape over a open container of a beer, or vodka or any other alcohol, does not make it a closed container.

I don't condone drinking and driving.

I've seen that for the most part drinking alcohol causes disagreements and leads to relationships being broken, including family that would otherwise be on good terms.
Bob Marley once said that alcohol is the destruction of a nation. I can't say that marijuana
is the healing of a nation but I can say that without alcohol, most, if not all will be better off.

And the relationships you do make revolving around alcohol are usually, very temporal.

I have noticed a dissipation of the Holy Spirit after a night of getting drunk.
I've also noticed that my understanding becomes lessened and
unlike when I was young, I would find myself
refreshed somehow after a night of drinking.

The potential of a man doesn't last long past his 20's when continuing with alcohol.
The usual sense of encouragement, joy or excitement becomes bitter, arrogant and aggression can become a problem
even for those who are not violent.

What is your stance on this since these daiquiri drive-thru shops have opened?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2023, 11:48 AM

6,506 posts, read 7,538,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo23 View Post
I've noticed drive thru shops opening up in the city I live in and through Texas and California. They sell slushy style daiquiris or maybe similar alcoholic beverages.
As easy as it is to buy liquor in California (liquor stores, convenience stores, grocery stores 7 days a week), I don't thing these exist in CA.

This is very much a Texas and Louisiana thing. Also, I think these places use cheap WINE and not LIQUOR because the ABV on the drinks is never more than 17%. It's certainly regulated by the TABC so if it becomes a problem they will certainly be shut down.

I do remember thinking it might become a problem during the Corona Virus indoor eating shut downs as restaurants were serving food and alcoholic drinks to go.

Old 02-14-2023, 01:32 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,243,087 times
Drinking and driving is a Texas culture thing that used to be a lot worse in the 70s and 80s.

Old 02-14-2023, 01:40 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
You can thank the idiot republican governor that we have

Texas law now allows alcohol to go from restaurants after Gov. Greg Abbott signs bill - May 2021

Abbott signed a waiver in March last year to allow to-go alcohol sales. The waiver was originally to last until May 2020, but it was extended indefinitely. As lawmakers began their work during the legislative session, expanding Texans’ access to booze picked up bipartisan support.

“It turned out that Texas liked [alcohol to go] so much, the Texas Legislature wanted to make that permanent law in the state of Texas,” Abbott said Wednesday.

Old 02-14-2023, 02:17 PM

8,351 posts, read 5,507,167 times
This is reading more like an anti-alcohol post as opposed to just an anti drive through alcohol one. The OP seems to be advocating prohibition.

Old 02-14-2023, 02:57 PM

11,857 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
This is reading more like an anti-alcohol post as opposed to just an anti drive through alcohol one. The OP seems to be advocating prohibition.
Agree. If the OP doesn't like alcohol, perhaps they should move to one of the dry counties still remaining in Texas: Borden, Hemphill, Kent, Roberts, Throckmorton.

Old 02-14-2023, 04:31 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,053,003 times
Its a personal responsibility thing OP. Regardless of what the alcoholic beverage is, its the driver's responsibility not to drink and drive. I don't see how this is any different than a person picking up a bottle of liquor at a store and popping the bottle while still driving - its still illegal. If the state's view is that taping the straw closed meets the definition of a closed container, I'm fine with it.

I don't think that making to-go daiquiris illegal is going to make a difference in the overall drinking and driving rate - it used to be much worse in a state that had many more dry counties in the past than it does now.

Old 02-14-2023, 04:37 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,978,357 times
these daquiri drive through shops that have opened? you act like it's a recent thing. they've been here for decades. it's all up to the driver like Mr Clutch says. you can just as easily hit up any liquor store and drink that while driving. only difference is you didn't go in a drive thru.

you also seem to be pointing at a problem alcoholics have that does really have anything to do with a daquiri

Old 02-14-2023, 05:41 PM

19,797 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
You can thank the idiot republican governor that we have

Texas law now allows alcohol to go from restaurants after Gov. Greg Abbott signs bill - May 2021

Abbott signed a waiver in March last year to allow to-go alcohol sales. The waiver was originally to last until May 2020, but it was extended indefinitely. As lawmakers began their work during the legislative session, expanding Texans’ access to booze picked up bipartisan support.

“It turned out that Texas liked [alcohol to go] so much, the Texas Legislature wanted to make that permanent law in the state of Texas,” Abbott said Wednesday.

As a kid I could buy alcohol at 19, the drinking age was 18 for many years before that, and buy cold boozy drinks and drive away legally as well. Democrats on your team A. Connally, Smith, Briscoe and then White and pals were fully in charge.

Old 02-14-2023, 06:21 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
As a kid I could buy alcohol at 19, the drinking age was 18 for many years before that, and buy cold boozy drinks and drive away legally as well. Democrats on your team A. Connally, Smith, Briscoe and then White and pals were fully in charge.
Ronald Reagan is the one that made the drinking age 21 in the whole country
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas