Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2023, 06:00 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,020,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Sorry man, you are the one ignorant of facts.

Train wreck is right.

Isn't it a shame that I am not from Texas. I am not even from the US and I know more about Texas than you? Both you and Dopo’s Texas Card needs to be revoked.
I’m impressed! I thought for sure you were a local!

DR and Dopo don’t have Texas cards to revoke. Don’t flatter them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2023, 11:02 PM

6,691 posts, read 9,935,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Spanish has been spoken in Texas for centuries and that’s not going to change
I am not trying to stop anyone from speaking their native tongue. I think that is very silly for anyone to even consider that. But anyone who comes to America should learn English proficiently. The way that things are accommodating another language, slows the process of immigrants (which is mostly coming from Spanish speaking countries) acclimating to the native dominate language. If that was done within any other country, I am sure it would be considered disrespectful to their native population as well. Yes, a blending cultures and customs from a myriad of different countries is what makes America great and adds to our country. But at the very least, prioritize learning English. That is the commonality that the majority of all Americans share. That way no one feels like one group is being prioritized over the other. That's what it feels like nowadays. I've never seen so many promos with Spanish lines and Spanish news segments (Ex: Spanish word of the day) in my life in Dallas on English TV stations. If the people they're trying to reach can't speak English, why would they watch them? They have multiple alternatives. Why would they start to integrate a little bit of Spanish on English TV stations? I'll tell you why. They want the native population to slowly start integrating the Spanish language into more of everyday life. Any other reason does not make sense to me because their target demo is already being served very well.

Old 06-29-2023, 07:34 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,020,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
I am not trying to stop anyone from speaking their native tongue. I think that is very silly for anyone to even consider that. But anyone who comes to America should learn English proficiently. The way that things are accommodating another language, slows the process of immigrants (which is mostly coming from Spanish speaking countries) acclimating to the native dominate language. If that was done within any other country, I am sure it would be considered disrespectful to their native population as well. Yes, a blending cultures and customs from a myriad of different countries is what makes America great and adds to our country. But at the very least, prioritize learning English. That is the commonality that the majority of all Americans share. That way no one feels like one group is being prioritized over the other. That's what it feels like nowadays. I've never seen so many promos with Spanish lines and Spanish news segments (Ex: Spanish word of the day) in my life in Dallas on English TV stations. If the people they're trying to reach can't speak English, why would they watch them? They have multiple alternatives. Why would they start to integrate a little bit of Spanish on English TV stations? I'll tell you why. They want the native population to slowly start integrating the Spanish language into more of everyday life. Any other reason does not make sense to me because their target demo is already being served very well.
They couldn’t care less about anybody learning Spanish. All they want is advertising dollars. They want viewers. period.

Old 06-29-2023, 09:01 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,622,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
They couldn’t care less about anybody learning Spanish. All they want is advertising dollars. They want viewers. period.
Bingo!

Spanish speakers that move here may or may not learn English (it is a free country, do what you want); however, their kids do learn English. I have never understood why it is a big deal if someone doesn't want to learn the local language. It makes it harder on them. Any job can require a worker to be proficient in English and any advertisement can forego any translation, but they can also decide it is okay. I worked in restaurants for longer than I like to remember and many of the cooks had limited English. Mostly good people and I learned enough Spanish (Spanglish, really) to joke, cuss back at them, and talk about food.

And people are still missing the fact that a large percent of those Hispanics that now make the majority are multi-generation Americans that are more fluent in English than you or me.

Old 06-29-2023, 11:45 AM

6,498 posts, read 7,525,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Why would they start to integrate a little bit of Spanish on English TV stations? I'll tell you why. They want the native population to slowly start integrating the Spanish language into more of everyday life. Any other reason does not make sense to me because their target demo is already being served very well.
You still haven't clarified which specific English language channels are integrating Spanish programming into their lineup.

Old 06-29-2023, 01:30 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,948 times
A large chunk of my favorite shows on Netflix are foreign. I am not gonna lie though, I am a lazy TV watcher. I usually multi-task when I am watching TV so I am not big in subtitles. If I wanted to read, I would grab a book. I do like that a lot of these Netflix shows are dubbed.

But seeing Spanish word of the day or something wouldn't bother me. In fact what channels are those on Dallaz? Might be a good spot to pick up some words. I suck at learning new languages so one a day sounds like my speed, lol

Old 06-29-2023, 02:05 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,269,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
The Spanish did not colonize Texas.
They set up forts TO DEFEND AGAINST COLONIZATION from the french. Colonization of Texas was done by the US.
Who built the missions in San Antonio?
Sam Houston and Stephen Austin?

Old 06-29-2023, 02:51 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,622,212 times
Quote:
Colonization does not mean 'built forts' or 'built missions'. It means settling. The Spanish (and then Mexicans) knew this and tried to encourage settlement, but were not really all that successful.

Old 06-29-2023, 03:45 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,800,948 times
Quote:

I know you think you are so clever by pointing out obvious things, but you are not. It is another post that highlights your ignorance of Texas history. I really should charge for all this free schooling you have been getting.

A Mission is an ATTEMPT at colonization. It doesn't mean a colony was established.

Texas was really wild.
The reason why San Antonio has so may is because most of them failed and they had to be pulled back and consolidated in San Antonio for safety reasons.

Your 1st clue that I am right, and that the Texas Mission's were a half hearted attempt at halting encroachment from France is to look at where the Spanish 1st tried setting up their Mission's in Texas.

Keep in Mind Tejas y Coahuila was one state. So Texas is already vast and add Coahuila to it. Why would the Spanish, with the seat of Government in Central Mexico skip all of Coahuila, most of Texas and then start a mission in East Texas?

Remember I told you the 1st attempted European settlement in Texas was the 1685 French Settlement of Fort St Louis just SW of present day Houston. Spain found out about the French Mission in 1686 and set out to destroy it. However, when Spain finally found the settlement in 1689 it was already abandoned. So what did they do the same year? They established their own Mission in East Texas. The 1st Spanish mission in Texas.

Mission San Francisco de la Espada was 1st established in East Texas in 1689, but after many attacks and many attempts to reestablish the mission, the Mission was moved to San Antonio in 1731.

Mission Santísimo Nombre de María was the 2nd mission built in Texas. That one didn't result in a settlement either. After only 2 years the east Texas Mission was destroyed.

Mission San José de los Nazonis was the 3rd attempt at setting up a Spanish Mission in Texas, and you guessed it, this one was also in East Texas. Just like Mission San Francisco, San Jose didn't last long and the mission packed up shop and moved to San Antonio. Had those survived Texas would have had a San Francisco and a San Jose near each other just like California. Mission San Jose was reestablished in San Antonio as Mission San Juan and it is my favorite surviving mission.

Mission Nuestra Señora de la Purísima Concepción de los Ainais was the 4th attempted Spanish mission and again it was in East Texas (you have got to see by now what they were doing). This one was consistently under threat of attack by the French, so you guessed it, it was moved to San Antonio.

Mission San José de los Nazonis was the 5th attempted Spanish mission in Texas. Same story, attacked by the French, then moved, ultimately ending up in SA.

Mission Nuestra Señora de Guadalupede de los Nacogdoches was up next, and as you can probably guess by the name was established in East Texas. But due to constant attack from the pesky French the mission was abandoned. Settlers from Louisiana moved into the abandoned Mission buildings and the town of Nacogdoches was born.

Mission Nuestra Señora de los Dolores de los Ais was another East Texas attemp. Can't say rhe Spanish didn't try, but trying to Colonize and actually colonizing are not the same. This one died out like all the other East Texas Mission's and the site is now Mission Dolores State Park.

With Mission San Miguel de Linares de los Adaes the Spanish tried a different tactic. They pushed into disputed territory and built this mission near what is today Natchitoches, Louisiana. As you may have guessed, this one didn't last long.

Finally, the Spanish switched gears and pulled back. Instead of trying to fence off France in East Texas, they decided to try a different tactic. They built a mission halfway between Coahuila and Louisiana. This mission was Mission San Antonio de Valero The disappointingly bland Mission known as the Alamo. The new tactic worked. The mission survived and a modest settlement developed around it. Since the French didn't bother with it, the East Texas Mission's were pulled back to join Mission San Antonio.

Some people think that the Alamo was still a mission at the time of the Battle of the Alamo, but by then the Alamo was long abandoned as a mission. The Alamo was already being used as a fort in the late 1700s.

Anyway, that's your Texas History lesson for the day. The spanish tried to hold off the French by building Missions, but Trainwreck is right. They were basically forts. And yes, building forts =/= settlements.
My point stands, Texas was NEVER settled by the soanish luke the Latin American countries.

Your next lesson will explain how the San Antonio was a German Town before it became the Latino city it is today. If you think San Antonio was a Spanish city from its origins to now, then think again.

Old 06-29-2023, 09:19 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,269,498 times
Keep on trying to rewrite history,
Spain ruled Texas for more than a century
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas