Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 08:29 AM

415 posts, read 507,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I think it's time to get over the Californians coming to the state thing. They are coming and there's nothing you can do about it. Live with it.
You think other metro areas in the state (say Lubbock/Amarillo, Midland-Odessa, and Corpus Christi), start growing more as the main four Texas metro areas get too big (especially Houston and DFW)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 08:48 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,719,540 times
yes, there are that many moving here My SIL is one of them (although she's not a native Californian)

Old 07-10-2008, 09:18 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,924,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Red View Post
Good Story. On another note.

Are their really that many California people moving here? So many can't sell there houses many are upside down and with the drop in values and the credit market tightening. I also think the governor of CA may block the exists (joke).
I see tons California plates EVERYDAY here in the Dallas area. Of the few houses that have been for sale in my area most have been purchased by out of state folks coming in.

LOL!!! I can see Awwwnald standing there at each "exit" making them all turn around. I've seen people on here moving out of Cali talking about how much it is to rent a U-Haul or Ryder. It is a GREAT DEAL MORE to rent it 1-way OUT of Ca. than it is to go in. I think they are giving them out for free to those that want to move INTO California now

Old 07-10-2008, 09:25 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,924,416 times
On a serious note concerning this story. As a business owner in the State of Texas it ain't all THAT GREAT! Right now the revamp of the crappy b.s. Franchise Tax is KILLING all kinds of small businesses. Our dear prez when running for gov was going around saying he was going to get rid of the franchise tax. Well he didn't do a darn thing about it at all. Last year they revamped it saying they would OFFSET the INCREASE in our business property taxes. BULL*****!!!!! (Sorry folks, this is a sore spot). Our property taxes did NOT go down and many had theirs go up just as they alwasy do. Our Franchise Tax amount we had to pay more than TRIPLED! There was a write-up in the Dallas Morning News again about it the other day.
Small businesses feeling pinch from state's new franchise tax | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas | Small Business | Dallas Business News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/smallbiz/stories/DN-TaxFallout_09bus.ART0.State.Edition1.4dc7ea8.html - broken link)

Old 07-10-2008, 02:00 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,199,429 times
The ones who are upside down in CA are so far upside down they are just walking away. And moving to Texas.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:05 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,972,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
The ones who are upside down in CA are so far upside down they are just walking away. And moving to Texas.
DEAR LORD, HELP US!

GOD SAVE TEXAS!

I have seen what they have done to Boise, Id.. and its sad. I hope they don't do that to Texas.. Well El Paso TX could use some major changes so Californians get in there and do your thing, just leave the rest of the state the hell alone. =)

Old 07-10-2008, 02:10 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,964,372 times
There is alot of population growth along the twxas coast where the industry is booming;maybe the largest by per centage.Im many areas the unemloyment is like 4.3% even now.Houston is growing like yard weed .

Old 07-10-2008, 02:19 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,972,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
There is a lot of population growth along the Texas coast where the industry is booming; maybe the largest by percentage. I'm many areas the unemployment is like 4.3% even now.Houston is growing like a yard weed .
When you say Texas coast where are you referring too.. Brownsville? Corpus? Galveston? Port Connor? The whole nine yards?

I have not seen much growth in some of those areas.. and in others just a small amount of growth. So can you please be a little more pacific on where on the Texas coast. Thanks.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:27 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,719,540 times
My mom lives in Clear Lake and that area is booming. I think also down in the Lake Jackson area (Freeport is next door). My best friend lives in Brazoria and says it's going gangbusters down there as well.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:07 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,150,479 times
Bragging rights are cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas