Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 07:20 PM

12 posts, read 71,163 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My spouse would be moving to Amarillo for three to four years and am looking at nice neighbourhood in Amarillo. I am looking at condominiums that we could buy. Mostly because of the work that is involved in maintaining a single family house.

Are there any nice safe neighbourhood in Amarillo closer to the medical area which are condo's or townhouse communities.

The price-range that we are looking for is closer to 75 G's.

I don't have much idea about amarillo so would appreciate any responses that can enlighten me about Amarillo, it's neighbourhoods and condo/townhouse realestate in amarillo.

Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 12:01 AM

No responses so far. Does Amarillo have any condo community?

Old 12-27-2008, 10:02 AM

1,488 posts, read 5,238,673 times
Wish I could give you more specific information....but I can tell you that the housing area near the medical community is among the best in the city.....south, southwest, northwest parts of town are near the hospitals/clinics and are the newer, safer areas.

We have a pediatrician friend on staff at both hospitals and he is required to live within 10 min. of the hospital.....if that's the rule for most of the doctors, you can see why the nicer neighborhoods are clustered around the medical facilties. There are many apartment complexes and townhomes in the area....lots of nurses, staff, etc live there.

Amarillo is easy to get around in, you can get across town in 20 minutes, so if you don't find something you want or feel is in your price range in the medical area, don't worry about the commute .....it won't be too bad from wherever you live. However, there are parts of town you will would not be safe in (north, north east).

You might ask Human Resources at the hospital (the people at BSA are usually very helpful and courteous) if there is a specific real estate agency that they work with for relocation services....that agency should be able to help you. If not, you might choose a realtor whose office is located in the same area of town as the hospitals are (the hospitals are right back to back) so they will have had more experience in dealing with the medical community.

Best wishes in your move....hope things work out well for you.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:56 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,578,288 times
I don't think you will find very many condos in Amarillo, but there are a few townhomes and plenty of apartment complexes.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:35 AM

163 posts, read 474,871 times
I can only think of one true "condo" building. It is a "high rise" near the Woflin Shopping area. There is an area off of 34th between Coulter and Soncy that I believe are condos. It is a small community with 2 different apartment complexes on the east and south sides.

There are townhouses scattered around town. When we first moved here 5 years ago, we lived in a townhouse in Sleepy Hollow (west side of town). Their are more townhouses in the Tradewind area, more off of Hobbs and 34th, more on at 45th (I think that is the street) and Georgia.

There probably are lots of townhouses near the hospital area.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:29 PM

Here's my search on internet told me so far
1. Sleepy Hollow
2. Tradewind
3. SteepleChase
4. Amarillo Townhomes : http://www.dominionhomesamarillo.com...a%20Louise.JPG

Does anyone have any good or bad experience about them?

Old 01-04-2009, 03:43 PM

Sleepy Hollow is on the west side of town. (We rented a townhouse there for 2 years.) Sleepy Hollow is off of Soncy (the western most exit in amarillo). Soncy is where the mall is located and is one of the areas that is growing the fastest.

Tradewind area is where I currently live. There are lots of townhomes off of Mirror Street. Yes, there is a small municipal airport nearby, but I honestly don't hear the planes. (Since it is regional, it isn't like the planes are THAT big nor are they flying 24/7 every day.) The newest elementary school is nearby. (don't know if that is a pro or a con for you.)

Don't know anything about SteepleChase- can't even tell you where it is

The dominion homes- I have been through those. They are nice, some have small yards and others have NO yards at all. The only "downside" is that there is a popular club/dance hall nearby, I know that there are lots of concerts held there, so I imagine that the traffic/problems associated with that type of business are possible. (Midnight Rodeo) The surrounding area is older and these townhomes are on the edge of residential and LOTS of businesses nearby. (Lots of car dealerships, goodwill donation center, older businesses)

Old 01-04-2009, 04:20 PM

Feel free to Pm me..

of if you want me to drive by an area to look at it for you. I will do my best to help.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:43 PM

Thanks really appreciate the response, The biggest criteria I have is gated community and the only gated townhome community I could find till date was the one in steeplechase "http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1801-Steeplechase-Dr-APT-602-Amarillo-TX-79106/55599814_zpid/"

Are there any other gated townhome communities in Amarillo.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:19 PM

I could be remembering wrong.. but I think that those are apartments and not condos. (I couldn't get your link to work, but googled steeplechase and amarillo.) If in fact they are condos, they really are not in a convenient area of town. (not a bad part of town, but very inconvenient)

They are located off of business 40- right behind the biggest movie theater (Regal) and next to one of the post offices. They are very hard to get in and out of because the exit and entrance are located on the westbound road of a divided highway. They aren't too far from the hospitals and lots of medical offices, but there isn't a close grocery store. (However in front of the movie theater are lots of restaurants.)

Yes, the Steeplechase apt/condo complex is gated.

Even the most expensive housing communities here don't have gates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas