Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2008, 06:58 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,370,519 times

Advertisements

II just recently returned from a quick trip to Texas. Below is my report!

Thursday (9/25/08): I arrived in San Antonio via Southwest Airlines. I rented a car and drove into Fredericksburg, a small German town. It was OK...lots of touristy type stores. Not one single restaurant was open and it was 2 pm! I was hungry because they no longer feed you on the planes. So I got back in the car and drove to The Salt Lick BBQ for some food! I had a quick sandwich and picked up dinner to go for me and BoT. I then drove to BoT's house by way of Austin, Texas. The closer I got to Austin, the happier I was. It was like putting on an old, comfortable shoe. It just felt good. By the time I made it to BoT's, it was dark. It was out in the middle of nowhere. Her and I were laughing because my GPS didn't even recognize the road she lived on. It just said "South on road" ...LOL!! We chilled out, talked and ate BBQ. Her dogs, Tattoo and Austin, were as friendly as could be. Tattoo took to me the quickest.

Friday (9/26/08): We went over to BoT's old house and loaded up one more load while she waited on the carpet cleaners to finish cleaning the carpets. I helped pack up her kitchen stuff and off we went. We stopped at Applebee's for lunch and then went to her new place and unloaded her truck. I hooked up her washer and dryer, after several trips to ACE hardware to get the connections we needed. Only thing, the dryer vent foiled tubing was extremely hot. I told her to get that checked out before using it.

We then got ready to go out. We had dinner at The Ranchers. Then we drove to The Horseshoe Club, was only there for 5 minutes and then decided to go to Bo's Barn to meet BoT's friend, Linda. Then we drove to Bo's Barn in Saledo to meet Linda and her friend, Gordon. That was fun. Brent Allen was playing.

Saturday (9/27/08): We had a full day planned. We went to Leon River, a western wear and boot shop. I bought a beautiful, sharp pair of cowboy boots. They are so comfortable to wear. Then we went to The Parrot II to look around. Western/cowboy type furniture....just beautiful stuff! If I won the lottery, I would decorate with their stuff. From there, we went to J & M's for BBQ which was very good. Until you eat Texas BBQ, you have NOT eaten BBQ. Then we drove through the prison system in Gatesville to see all the buildings. They house women on death row in one of the buildings.

Then after that we drove to The Grove. On the way there we stopped and checked out a cattle auction that was going on. Then onto The Grove, a ghost town that is on E-Bay for the mere price of $1,000,000.00. As luck would have it, the owner was there. His name was Moody Anderson. He said the price included all the antiques as well. There were props there as well from movies shot in Texas. He had a bag of "Purina Lion Chow" from the movie "Second Hand Lions". That place was incredible. He holds a jamboree there every 3rd Saturday of the month. The other 3 Saturdays the jamboree is held at Jo Marie's house/garage.

So tonight the jamboree was at Jo's house. Moody invited us to come. We didn't realize it was a private residence until we pulled up. We got out and walked over to where everyone was sitting and listening to the band play. The garage doors were open and a pot luck supper was inside with the football game on TV. Men sitting around chewing the fat, kids running around the yard playing and catching lightening bugs and women busy near the food while others sat and listened to the band play old country favorites. I'm talking Hank Williams, Sr., Ferlin Husky, Johnny Cash, .Faron Young... Soon the owner, Jo Marie walked over and introduced herself and asked who we were. We told her our names and that Moody invited us. She said "Anyone is welcome here". She asked me where I was from and I told her "Pennsylvania". She hugged me and said "I just love Pennsylvanians. My ex-mother-in-law was from Pennsylvania and those are some of the nicest folks I have ever met". I told her I felt the same way about Texans! She insisted that we get something to eat and drink. We helped ourselves to some iced tea and then mingled with the neighbors. What a night! Down home Texas on a Saturday night--it sure don't get any better than that! We said our good-byes and headed on home.

Sunday (9/28/08): Today we went to Austin, Texas! We stopped and had lunch at Louisianna Longhorns Cafe...a cajun restaurant. It was recommended by a poster here and man, was it good. Good call, TexasHorseLady! I had Chicken Creole with hushpuppies and we had mushrooms stuffed with seafood for an appetizer.

We then headed to my favorite place in Austin, Texas....Ginny's Little Longhorn Saloon! There we met up with some other friends from www.city-data.com . We met up with Twange and his wife, and AGA . Dale Watson and the Lonestars were playing that afternoon--if you've never heard them--go check them out. They are my favorite musicians! Dale can sing and write songs like no-one else. I love him and his music. While there, I also met up with a myspace friend for the first time! Jaci (known as "Trouble")...What a friendly person she is. I absolutely adored her! She was fun! She introduced me to all her "peeps" outside the bar.

We also played Chicken Sh*t Bingo while there. I won the 3rd round of CS Bingo--$114.00!! First time I ever won at that game! How exciting! Dale called me up to where he was playing to confirm my winning number-25! He introduced me to the crowd as his good friend from Pittsburgh, PA. and then proceeded to tell a story about me causing him to almost get his ass kicked in Cleveland, Ohio by giving him a Pittsburgh Steelers Terrible Towel to wave around town!

Alas, it was soon over and I had to say good bye to all my new found Austin friends with the promise that I would be back for good once my house is sold in Pittsburgh, PA. I said my good-byes to an old and dear friend, Dale Watson, as well.

BoT and I drove back that night, stopping at Sonic for a quick bite to eat before heading back to her house.

Monday (9/29/08): I woke up, packed and loaded up the rental car. I said good-bye to BoT, a great friend. She showed me wonderful Southern hospitality while I stayed with her. I followed BoT out to the main highway so I wouldn't get lost. I then drove into Austin, had breakfast at Kerbey Lane Cafe and then headed to San Antonio airport to catch my flight back home.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 11-10-2008 at 06:35 AM.. Reason: names removed
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 10:52 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,379,719 times
I have TONS of great pics to post of the places we saw. I played tour guide to Shelly showing her small town rural Texas, and she played tour guide to me, showing me big city nightlife. We had a great great time! I am recuperating from the weekend, plus the move, so give me a day or so to post some great pics of the things we saw. Yall come back, ya hear?

Me at Ginny's Little Longhorn Saloon-Austin-where we saw Dale Watson play and participated in Chicken Sh*t Bingo!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v411/bellestaroftexas/DSC04614.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by NOTAM; 10-01-2008 at 10:53 PM.. Reason: add

Old 10-02-2008, 03:50 AM

52,688 posts, read 47,946,017 times
Default Here And There

Big cities and small towns. I'd say that's a fair exchange. Even just in Central Texas, you'll see tons of stuff and you still won't be able to see everything. Glad you ladies had a fantastic time out there. Think we'll have a 'Thelma and Louise' out there on U.S. 281 sometime??

Old 10-02-2008, 03:57 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,952,340 times
Belle I lova ya.. your the coolest person I have never met. TG@H, I loved your telling, I know you'll fit right in down here. Thats the Texas I know and love.. thank you for showing in your story why Texans are so loyal to Texas, and why we are so proud to call our selves Texans. I hope you make it down here soon.. I see Texas in your eyes being reflected from your heart.. and that will never fade.. Welcome Home Girl.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:13 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,275,575 times
Belle is here and isn't leaving. TexasGirl@Heart is the one moving and I believe she'll fit in very nicely as well.

I can't wait to see the photos. Enjoy the recoop time, Belle.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:59 AM

Default -THE GROVE, TX-a Coryell County ghost town

COCKLEBUR SALOON

DIIK DIK

FROM MOVIE "SECOND HAND LIONS"

THE JAIL

THE JAIL CELL

Old 10-02-2008, 06:03 AM

Hope yall enjoyed my pics of The Grove, TX.

Here is a link to the video I took of Dale Watson performing "South of Round Rock, Texas" at Ginny's Little Longhorn Saloon in Austin, on Chicken **** Bingo Sunday! Enjoy!

MySpaceTV Videos: Dale Watson singing "South of Round Rock, Texas" at Ginny's by BellestarOfTexas

Old 10-02-2008, 08:39 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,370,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
TG@H, I loved your telling, I know you'll fit right in down here. Thats the Texas I know and love.. thank you for showing in your story why Texans are so loyal to Texas, and why we are so proud to call our selves Texans. I hope you make it down here soon.. I see Texas in your eyes being reflected from your heart.. and that will never fade.. Welcome Home Girl.
Thanks Muhnay! I'm feeling very homesick today, missing Texas. I'll keep y'all posted when I finally sell my house!

Old 10-02-2008, 03:16 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,709,092 times
Great report! I enjoyed reading it.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:37 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Great pics, Miss Belle, and excellent diary of your trip to Texas, TGH! I enjoyed reading it!

And I am still hoping we can have a "Texas Forum" git-together this next summer. When hopefully, you are down here for good, hon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas