Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 09:32 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
I'm sorry you all can't stop focusing on me, instead of the topic. I could defend my spelling and grammar all day long but that has nothing at all to do with the topic. I'm sorry if I ruffled a few feathers (which is QUITE obvious). But the facts remain. California has better unviersities. No amount of insulting me, making stuff up, or Texas pride is going to change that fact.

You can needle me all you want to. Doesn't change anything.
Ok, well what are we suppose to do about it? I don't think it's stopping people from getting their education and becoming successful in the world. If your so pissed off about our "poor" school system; why don't you do something about it or shut up and deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 09:37 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,246,257 times
These types of rankings seem rather subjective to me. Choosing what school to go to should be on an individual, not rankings basis.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:39 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,344,935 times
I'm not "pissed off about it" I've given my opinion of something I've noticed here and have been personally attacked for it.

I've learned that Texas is not for me. That is what I'm doing about it. I'm moving, hopefully, soon.

But, ingoring there is an issue, and simply lashing out at others who point it out, isn't helping your state that you are so proud of.

I think, you either need to accept it, about your state. Or make it as great as you seem to think it actually is when it comes to education.

Blind pride in your state doesn't really serve you. And picking on one person who isn't thrilled about living in this state, for various reasons, doesn't change anything either.

I will leave. California will still have better universities. But will you accept that?

Old 08-23-2009, 09:47 PM

I don't think it is personal attacks as much as it is questioning claims. Isn't that the point of an open forum anyway? If there is something I find indisputable, or I don't feel like arguing/defending -- I simply don't post.

That said, I apologize the workplace has made you feel as uncomfortable as it has. Hopefully whatever you decide to you renders a much better outcome.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:58 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,344,935 times
Thanks Anthony.

Well, it is hard to get "tone" over the internet. I never intended to state that things I've picked up on here that are more prevalent than elsewhere were absolutes. I only notice it here more than any other place I have lived. That doesn't mean 100% or even 50% of people display such qualities. It's just more than I'm comfortable with.

And, I have been personally attacked. I have to say it only just backs up what I have been feeling.

I have met people in Texas, and known people in Texas that I really like. I'm also sure there are areas, such as Austin that are very pro-education (and others). But I do think this culture is very different.

And it is easy to see in many areas (such as the no income tax, the infrastructure, education etc.).

It's not bad. It's different.

It's not my kind of place, but I can see why others prefer it.

On that note. I would say if you are young, still in school, or have not travelled much -- it's probably a good idea to study up and/or see other parts of the country if you can -- before you make up your mind about how things should be.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Thanks Anthony.

Well, it is hard to get "tone" over the internet. I never intended to state that things I've picked up on here that are more prevalent than elsewhere were absolutes. I only notice it here more than any other place I have lived. That doesn't mean 100% or even 50% of people display such qualities. It's just more than I'm comfortable with.

And, I have been personally attacked. I have to say it only just backs up what I have been feeling.

I have met people in Texas, and known people in Texas that I really like. I'm also sure there are areas, such as Austin that are very pro-education (and others). But I do think this culture is very different.

And it is easy to see in many areas (such as the no income tax, the infrastructure, education etc.).

It's not bad. It's different.

It's not my kind of place, but I can see why others prefer it.
Thanks for clarifying. I don't see things here in San Antonio the same as you have, but I don't discredit your observations at all.

Quote:
On that note. I would say if you are young, still in school, or have not travelled much -- it's probably a good idea to study up and/or see other parts of the country if you can -- before you make up your mind about how things should be.
However, I agree with this statement 100%. Texas is not the end all be all and maintaining an open mind opens far more doors than it shuts. Some will find better opportunities here, others will not.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:10 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
But college students in Texas can throw a football farther than Caudifordnia's students.

Quote:
I'm sorry you all can't stop focusing on me, instead of the topic. I could defend my spelling and grammar all day long but that has nothing at all to do with the topic. I'm sorry if I ruffled a few feathers (which is QUITE obvious). But the facts remain. California has better unviersities. No amount of insulting me, making stuff up, or Texas pride is going to change that fact.

You can needle me all you want to. Doesn't change anything.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:27 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:
okay kiddo. You are 19 and your experience is limited to Texas.

I'm 32, I have a master's degree and I've lived in Minnesota, Florida, Wisconsin, Illinois, Texas, and California -- and England and Holland.

I also have a bachelors degree in Human Geography. I know a thing or two about regional cultures and am not just a jerk with an anger problem at work.

There absolutley is a culture of -- and you will see it in this thread -- liberal arts being useless -- college being useless -- unless it helps you make more money....and general disdain for people that value education for education sake -- unless it helps them make lots of money -- but you are regarded here, somehow much more superior -- if you have never went to college but make lots of money.

The actual education -- and critical thinking from education -- is thrown to the wayside.

Yes this is a generalization -- but it is prevalent enough to be maddening.

And I'm not picked on at work. I just don't receive the kind of respect from people I used to in Illinois for the work I do. Instead I have received more of a "prove you are better than me with that there useless master degree of yours" mentality.

College is useless unless it helps you make more money. And yes I graduated from one of the top engineering schools in the world (not texas). Universities have played an incredible marketing trick persuading everyone that they have to get a university education even if they don't learn anything useful. A university education is great if you want to go into academia. For most kids trade school should be the way to go.

The attitude of show me your worth now vs having a masters degree is exactly what makes texas great.

You make it seem like making money somehow doesn't take critical thinking skills. Running a business and making money is one of the most real applications of critical thinking skills.

Old 08-29-2009, 03:47 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,522,953 times
It all depends on the universities involved, but first US News & World Report was totally discredited in a Wall St Journal Article September 1999, they just sell a bunch of magazines.

Cal - Berkeley is almost always ranked as the best public university in the world. Whether its the London Times Study or The Chronicle of Higher Education its right up there with Harvard, in fact it now leads Harvard in the percentage of its students who ranked in the top 10% of their high school class, although its close.

UT Austin is a good school and probably as good as many of the Cal State universities. As for football as a Texan I'm ashamed at the over 20 arrests UT players have had in the last 4 years. We all condemn OJ and criminals in general - Texans are supposed to be tough on crime, but if the criminal is a UT student -- well that's ok.

I actually prefer Cal's football program.Yeah its only ranked #12 but they spend less money and with a few exceptions get better and smarter kids.

Can kids in California throw a football better than those in Texas? Who knows? A few years ago Texas A&M in their student newspaper before playing against Cal in a bowl game said even worse crap. "We stand for conservative values and we will beat the liberals at Cal 77-0" Cal blew them away and had 2nd string in the 2nd qtr. By the second half 3rd and 4th string were playing and Cal's last touchdown was scored by a senior on his first college play ever. 45-10.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:19 AM

634 posts, read 1,448,478 times
I would like to see Texas make investments to heighten research opportunities, faculty quality, selectivity, and general infrastructure in other universities in the UT and A&M systems. The politics of selecting which campuses would be "raised" to hallowed "tier one" status (I loath to use that term as it's such a subjective enclosure), would most likely and unnecessarily consume more time and energy than should be permitted. But following that, the good business of deciding which universities will serve to educate this state's populace can continue unimpeded. Endeavoring to invest in the quality of a focused choice of Texas universities now can help lay the groundwork for future improvements in higher education policy as a whole. Upon commencing with efforts to address the UT & A&M systems the Texas State university system could stand to be examined. By this I mean universities such as Sam Houston State, Stephen F. Austin State University, Texas State University (which I believe has grand designs of its own in terms of heightening its reputation and research arm), etc. Investing in Texas's higher education opportunities is key, I believe, to ensuring that Texas can compete, not just nationally, but globally, in terms of technological innovation, capital investment opportunities, policy innovation, and most importantly, intelligent human capital. Texas needs good universities to see success.

By the way, CD is an entertaining way to spend a lazy day off. I've had two cups of coffee reading this thread. I can't decide if that's a good or a sad thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas