Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2009, 08:13 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,843,853 times

Advertisements

Good Evening,

I need some serious help with plants. We live in San Antonio, near Sea World, and have two 14' long flower beds on either side of the walk to the front door. The beds are approx 16" wide. The walkway is in between the brick walls of the house. Sun in the morning on one side then the other side gets the afternoon sun. Both sides get mid-day sun.

I am racking my brain and visiting too many internet sites trying to lfind small perennials that will not spread any wider than 16". It would be nice if there was something that flowered.

Thank you All
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 09:09 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,917,976 times
check out the gardenweb site for gardening
there is special forum for TX gardening with people from SA that post all the time
also try THIS site for SA thread vs the TX thread in general--probably more posters would respond or you could run a search

you need heat/drought tolerant plants since you are probably on water restrictions
do you want a plant that stays green through winter or one that will die back but return in spring
bluebonnets come to mind and think both sides would get enough sun since they aren't really blue without it but I am not a great gardener
daylilly might work but they do turn brown in winter I think
lantana is another suggestion but it is not staying green
think TX sage would be too bushy

Old 10-03-2009, 09:24 AM

1,671 posts, read 3,843,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
check out the gardenweb site for gardening
there is special forum for TX gardening with people from SA that post all the time
also try THIS site for SA thread vs the TX thread in general--probably more posters would respond or you could run a search

you need heat/drought tolerant plants since you are probably on water restrictions
do you want a plant that stays green through winter or one that will die back but return in spring
bluebonnets come to mind and think both sides would get enough sun since they aren't really blue without it but I am not a great gardener
daylilly might work but they do turn brown in winter I think
lantana is another suggestion but it is not staying green
think TX sage would be too bushy

Good Morning,

Thank you for the suggestions. I would like something green year round and that will flower spring and summer. I know I can't have it all. Maybe there is someone out there that has a restricted planting area that has found good plants. I did ask on the San Antonio Forum but the plants would end up growing too large although they were great suggestions.

What confuses me are the different internet plant sites and local nurseries that have several different growth sizes for the same plant.

Again I Thank You Very Much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas