Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 01:39 PM

17 posts, read 50,526 times

Advertisements

How built up are the suburbs of Dallas or Houston?

Are there any areas where a house can be built on a large lot, at least 1.5 acres? Is there cheap land, good land?

I like being close to a bigger city for the shopping (Neiman Marcus, Nordstorm, Gucci), and I like being near very good restaurants.

I do not like living in big cities because of the population density. I do not like traffic where every car is stop and go. I do not like pollution, be it air pollution or noise pollution.

This is why I think the perfect place for me is half an hour to an hour away from a big city. Close enough where I can drive into town when I want to buy something, but far enough away where I have outdoor space for lots of trees and a big garden, and not so close where I can hear my neighbors like I can in a townhouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 01:41 PM

One big motive for me in moving is to find a place with low property taxes, outside of a big city with big city taxes.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:21 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
Outside of Houston, you might look in the Lake Jackson area (45 minutes away from Houston) or Brazoria, West Columbia, Van Vleck (also abt. 45 min-1 hr. out). These towns are all day trip distance from Houston and you can buy acreage. You could look in Tomball/ Plantersville area. I would also recommend Brenham but can't remember how far out from Houston it is. You might also be able to find something in Santa Fe, Alvin, League City or Seabrook. Victoria isn't far from Houston or even El Campo. Most of those towns are far enough out for peace and quiet but not sooo far you can't go into Houston to shop. I'm sure I'm leaving some out (oops, Rosenburg comes to mind) but others can give more suggestions.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:03 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
cheap land is usually UNWANTED land--for variety of reasons
and frankly you are never an hour and a half from a Wal-Mart anyplace in TX

Old 02-15-2010, 08:34 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,425,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by good_eating View Post
How built up are the suburbs of Dallas or Houston?

Are there any areas where a house can be built on a large lot, at least 1.5 acres? Is there cheap land, good land?

I like being close to a bigger city for the shopping (Neiman Marcus, Nordstorm, Gucci), and I like being near very good restaurants.

I do not like living in big cities because of the population density. I do not like traffic where every car is stop and go. I do not like pollution, be it air pollution or noise pollution.

This is why I think the perfect place for me is half an hour to an hour away from a big city. Close enough where I can drive into town when I want to buy something, but far enough away where I have outdoor space for lots of trees and a big garden, and not so close where I can hear my neighbors like I can in a townhouse.

Unfortunately, the suburbs are very built-up. Big cities in Texas are very sprawled.

Pollution of both types is quite prevalent.

In order to be close to those kind of shops and have a lot of land, you will either need to have a good bit of money for a house or be willing to be further out than an hour and a half.

And traffic is basically unavoidable in Texas until you get out to the very rural parts.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:15 AM

Since we don't know what her budget is, I disagree that she can't find a lot in some suburb around any city in TX with a 1.5 acre lot or that cheap land is unwanted land. Texas has a lot of land to develop, so it's going to go cheap. She didn't say she wanted to live in the middle of nowhere.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:40 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,238,673 times
I agree with love roses. There are great places not 30 minutes away from good suburb shopping and dining...nice homes on 1-5 acres for reasonable prices.

good_eating......check your Direct Messages, please.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:41 PM

My price range is $200,000.

Since finding this forum and reading what others have written, my bigger concern is the property tax. If taxes are as high as others have said, then I should lower my price range and keep reserves for property taxes. I do not want to work into my 70's to pay a big property tax bill.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:27 PM

For what its worth, Austin is the most expensive City in Texas...so I'd probably rule it out. You might be able to get Ag exemptions, but someone else could chime in on those.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:03 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,425,311 times
I think you will have trouble finding a big enough lot close enough to that kind of shopping for $200K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas