Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 02:34 PM

12 posts, read 19,279 times

Advertisements

Would appreciate some help. First, I realize I am blessed, many do not have a job or choices. I am single, female, early 50s, and a physician...but before you think me rich, I spent most of my life earning an MD, MS, and doing a residency and two fellowships, and because of buying a house at the peak of the market, and paying off loans, and no spouse to lean on...I do have to live moderate, and save money for my future. Also, my specialty is very, very time consuming, very long days and being on call nearly every day. Because my specialty is oversupplied in areas which are my home (mid atlantic, north east).. but undersupplied in many others...this is what I have so far to choose from.

I am thinking most people would say, no brainer...go to FL, especially over Toledo. But I am not sure, I know people who would love to move to FL if they could find work. I should say that I am looking to spend about 300,000 for a house...not a mansion, but I think very fortunate. My life goal is to save enough to care for myself, and then work for indigent in US/or abroad...
So, I will have a great income, but have to live moderately as I do not have many years to save and I could get sick or something.

Many people think Toledo is awful, some say not bad
Many people hate FL, others love it...though not as much as things have changed in South FL. I wish it were near naples but it is not.

As I said, I like the mid atlantic and northeast...culturally, and actually like the change of seasons...not thrilled about so much snow in Toledo...that is more than I am used to...and not thrilled about the climate in Fort Lauderdale.

Could people help me sort this out?
Hopefully it will not be forever, maybe 5 - 8 years, then maybe one more job..and enough saved.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 07:53 PM

555 posts, read 893,001 times
Having lived in both Toledo and South Florida (though not Fort Lauderdale), I would say, go with Toledo. You can buy a great house in a historic neighborhood for half of your budget and give the rest to charity or spend part of every winter in Florida.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:59 PM

911 posts, read 2,600,692 times
i'll take florida. no snow. reminds me of my hometown.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:32 AM

896 posts, read 1,854,828 times
Yeah seems like its whatever your personal preference is lifestyle wise. If you can handle the dramatic weather here.....90+ degree days in the summer, and winter days with wind chills in the negatives and level 3 snow emergencies, then you could definitely save a lot while living a decent life here. $300k will easily get you a higher end loft condo downtown, or a good size historic home in the beautiful Old West End neighborhood (maybe with money to spare to help with renovations if necessary)....probably a decent size home newer or historic near the river (but probably not riverfront property).....and 300k would easily afford you a decently good size new suburban style house (Perrysburg, Sylvania, Monclova, etc) too. The village of Ottawa Hills would probably be pushing your budget but you could still find nice homes on the smaller side possibly, and if not in Ottawa Hills, easily anything you want in the adjacent, similarly beautiful, Old Orchard neighborhood in Toledo. You would definitely be able to afford any of the better areas of your choice.

Toledo has plenty of rough areas as im sure youve heard........but with your budget, and this being one of the most affordable places to live in the country, you would be able to etch out a comfortable existance in the best parts of the area, here. Toledo has lots of good things too, tons of restauraunts, nice metro parks, lots of fun cultural festivals, and relatively close proximity to larger cities (Detroit -1 hr....Columbus & Cleveland - 2 hrs), as well as close to Lake Erie and all of the summer recreation there. Definitely dont judge the book by its cover. It really is just going to depend on your preference of atmosphere.

Good luck!

Old 09-07-2014, 12:29 PM

Thank you all. I am leaning toward Toledo, I just thought I would get one hundred people saying ?are you crazy? FL is not perfect but way better than Toledo. I am not putting either down. I just wish I could have moved to the area I mentioned, no close family and I have some friends there. Both have many strengths. You make a good point about the ability to save money. I assumed they would be equally costly, as FL has lots of excess real estate, and you do not pay as much for utilities? But I guess there are a lot of other costs in FL, taxes, and insurance.
Of course I would rather be where it seems like home, and neither are, and they are so different from home and each other. But I look forward to fall, and the first few snow falls (I know the winter is long in Toledo, and not much skiing or winter wonderland), and I look forward to the ocean in the summer.
But I guess I need to count my blessings and move on.

Thank you,
I will try to find the zip codes for the neighborhoods you mention. The job was steering me toward perrysburgh, sylvania, or maumee...which I am sure are nice.
thank you again

Old 09-07-2014, 01:28 PM

I do not understand the zip codes, and town names. Is it possible to live in physical address Ottawa Hills, but be outside of the village (lower taxes, but still with the good schools? ...just less prestige), or is it Ottawa or Toldeo period.

Old 09-07-2014, 05:13 PM

92 posts, read 327,500 times
All of Ottawa Hills is within its own school system. Mail is delivered from a Toledo post office so properties there have a Toledo zip code. Same thing for parts of Sylvania (Toledo zip code) and Monclova (Maumee zip code). Monclova has a lot of newer homes and the lowest taxes of the group. Maumee taxes are lower than Sylvania and Ottawa Hills.

Old 09-07-2014, 06:15 PM

896 posts, read 1,854,828 times
Yeah the town of Ottawa Hills is literally surrounded by Toledo proper. Its like an enclave within west Toledo. So if you dont live within the city limits of Ottawa Hills youre not in their school system. There are plenty of decent catholic schools and private schools though if thats a consideration.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:43 AM

thank you. from a resale, investment perspective...what would you recommend? It look like Perrysburgh has slight growth. Also, do you agree that a 2 bed room home is harder to sell than a three?
thank you

Old 09-11-2014, 02:48 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
I feel a 2bd home is always harder to sell than a 3 but that is just me.

But just chiming in that another poster mentioned Old Orchard, which is in Toledo so lower taxes, but next to Ottawa Hills. They also have good schools in that area of Toledo.

Overall, I agree with other posters in that Toledo is a good choice due to cost of living and quality of life here. I am originally from Toledo and many Toledoans unfortunately down the city. I even used to when I lived there, but now that I have lived other places (I just moved back here from Atlanta), I am so happy to be back here.

People are nice and down to earth for the most part. The cost of living is extremely low and as a mom with 2 kids, I do feel that TPS is a decent school district for a city of this size. Homes are very cheap and I honestly don't think that the taxes here are high either. I paid more in taxes for a home in a worse neighborhood in Atlanta that what I pay in Toledo.

I also wanted to mention that this past winter was a record setter. Last winter is not typical of an average Toledo winter by any means and I always felt it was better in winter in Toledo than in Chicago or in Cleveland where they get more lake effect snow.

Good luck with your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo