Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2017, 12:15 PM

3 posts, read 4,016 times

Advertisements

Recently I had the displeasure of driving through this arm pit..

Unfortunately, the speed limit on the HIGHWAY is 60Mph and if you go a mile over it you are issued an automated ticket from a private firm for $120.. (in my case, I was 6 miles over the ridiculously LOW speed limit) The problem is, this private firm (Redflex) has been implicated in criminal activity, fraudulent ticketing, improperly calibrated equipment, bribery and extortion.

Toledo contracting with them sheds a very negative light on a city that really doesn't need it. But I can understand why they do it. They make money issuing these nonsense, unenforceable tickets.

I have news for you Toledo, i will drive around your city going forward. I will never spend a dime in your city. I will review everything in your city poorly, I will not order anything from any business in the city. If any of our service accounts require us to go to Toledo I will charge an extra 'fee' for this - just for you Toledo. I will make you pay for this for decades to come. Watch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 08:26 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,313,126 times
The posted speed limit is the posted speed limit, period. It is not fun to get caught breaking the law, but when we do, we pay the consequences. I have also received speeding tickets in the past (although not for over twenty years because getting a few taught me a lesson), and when I did I just sucked it up and paid them and accepted that I took a chance with breaking the law and lost. I didn't blame the city where I received the tickets, because there are posted speed limits in every city and we either choose to obey them or take a chance at getting a ticket. You gambled and lost, it's just that simple.

I'm quite sure that Toledo will be fine without you, you don't need to get worked up about your never passing through or spending money there again, no one else is.

Old 04-23-2017, 09:14 AM

68 in a 60 zone that should be a 70 zone is nonsense, and you know it. I'm sure you go 'exactly' the speed limit everyday, all day, right? Be quiet. Toledo (arm pit) deliberately lowers the speed limit then contract with a corrupt firm to hand these out like candy. I read EACH Redflex camera tags 4,000 cars a day for fines. EACH ONE! (Calibration of those cameras has been revealed in lawsuits to be manipulated)

Also interesting, Redflex CEO is in jail. Redflex has lost several lawsuits including a class action for falsely calibrating their cameras to read speeds too high. So it is debatable if I was even reaching the paltry speed of 68! Google Redflex and see for yourself, this company has been implicated in hundreds of scams, bridery scandals and manipulation.

Mind you, $120 is meaningless to me, that's about 2 hours of pay at my job. I won't even notice it. But imagine what this would do to poor people or people living check to check? It would be debilitating to them in some cases and they couldn't pay it, resulting in more fines, court costs and even license revoking. These cameras are racist and discriminatory.

Toledo city govt. are trash installing this and no wonder their city has gone to hell.

Old 04-23-2017, 09:17 AM

Considering this company has been sued - and lost - over manipulating the calibration on their systems I doubt I was even going 66 in a 60.

Look up Redflex, they are basically a criminal organization that most cities have sent packing. Toledo loves hosing their citizens and people passing through. Pathetic really. But to be honest, $120 is about 2 hours of pay for me at work, I could care less. But imagine the economic hardship this imposes on the poor and oppressed? These cameras are racist and oppressive.

Old 04-23-2017, 10:46 AM

896 posts, read 1,854,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitacre2017 View Post
Recently I had the displeasure of driving through this arm pit..

Unfortunately, the speed limit on the HIGHWAY is 60Mph and if you go a mile over it you are issued an automated ticket from a private firm for $120.. (in my case, I was 6 miles over the ridiculously LOW speed limit) The problem is, this private firm (Redflex) has been implicated in criminal activity, fraudulent ticketing, improperly calibrated equipment, bribery and extortion.

Toledo contracting with them sheds a very negative light on a city that really doesn't need it. But I can understand why they do it. They make money issuing these nonsense, unenforceable tickets.

I have news for you Toledo, i will drive around your city going forward. I will never spend a dime in your city. I will review everything in your city poorly, I will not order anything from any business in the city. If any of our service accounts require us to go to Toledo I will charge an extra 'fee' for this - just for you Toledo. I will make you pay for this for decades to come. Watch.
Well then the system worked. You wont be speeding through our city anymore.

Old 04-23-2017, 07:31 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,505,020 times
I'm somewhat familiar with Toledo and I can't think of anywhere that a City of Toledo authorized speed camera would be used that a 70 MPH speed limit is appropriate. The turnpike and Interstates would not use a speed camera and surface streets are not adequate for 70 MPH.

Old 04-27-2017, 05:54 PM

911 posts, read 2,600,501 times
i've been telling anyone who will lsiten to NOT pay these.

let the city choke on their "investment" and then they will take them down/ the supreme court will make them and refund everyone.

these are not legal, it strips you of your rights.

toledo thinks this is the wave of the future.......WRONG.

los angeles, chicago, and other major cities have all gotten rid of these things before mayor bell even had a gleam of dollar signs in his eyes.

toledo is blocking their removal along with kasich, and it's going to be an ugly day when the courts finally remove them.

the FBI has already been here about them. that's never good.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:04 PM

2,921 posts, read 1,986,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitacre2017 View Post
68 in a 60 zone that should be a 70 zone is nonsense, and you know it. I'm sure you go 'exactly' the speed limit everyday, all day, right? Be quiet. Toledo (arm pit) deliberately lowers the speed limit then contract with a corrupt firm to hand these out like candy. I read EACH Redflex camera tags 4,000 cars a day for fines. EACH ONE! (Calibration of those cameras has been revealed in lawsuits to be manipulated)

Also interesting, Redflex CEO is in jail. Redflex has lost several lawsuits including a class action for falsely calibrating their cameras to read speeds too high. So it is debatable if I was even reaching the paltry speed of 68! Google Redflex and see for yourself, this company has been implicated in hundreds of scams, bridery scandals and manipulation.

Mind you, $120 is meaningless to me, that's about 2 hours of pay at my job. I won't even notice it. But imagine what this would do to poor people or people living check to check? It would be debilitating to them in some cases and they couldn't pay it, resulting in more fines, court costs and even license revoking. These cameras are racist and discriminatory.

Toledo city govt. are trash installing this and no wonder their city has gone to hell.
Sounds like someone who hasn't spent much time here, just driving through as fast as they please. I'm curious how you decided it should be 70 mph? And do you think everyone should decide how fast it 'should be' wherever they drive? For instance, if I were to drive through your sinkhole prone, stinkhole of Longwood, FL should I be allowed to drive, say 65 MPH through your trailer park because I thought it was the appropriate speed for that area? Interesting. Good thing we don't all believe such nonsense.

While I do have a problem with the red light cameras, and helped circulate a petition several years to get the issue back on the ballot, I think you are coming in here to be a wise guy. Just a little butt hurt over the fact you got caught going eight miles over the speed limit. If you don't want a ticket obey the law, you're not in Florida anymore scofflaw.

Have a nice day. Interesting you only have three total posts and they are all in this forum.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:19 AM

19 posts, read 70,436 times
Toledos' police department isn't much better than Redflex. They spend the majority of their time driving around looking for stupid infractions to issue tickets for to support the crumbling city and over budget department. I have drug houses on my street that have more traffic than a McDonalds drive through and have reported them for years yet the only thing I see the police doing in my neighborhood is looking for parking violations and looking for vehicle tags that may be expired. City revenue collectors is all they are, and they wonder why people are leaving this hole of a city in droves.

Old 06-01-2017, 02:53 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
Eh, I've never been stopped by Toledo Police.

I think they are a very professional, courteous department. I've lived in other cities where the police actually do weekly traffic stops of everyone at a particular intersection just to ticket people and bring in revenue for those cities.

That doesn't happen in Toledo. I'll even admit I rode around for almost a year without one of my brake lights working (mechanic couldn't fix it so I had to get a new vehicle) and I never was stopped for it. I've never gotten a ticket in Toledo.

For drug cases, for those who don't know, they take a long time to build a case for drug dealers. If you want to get those people out of your neighborhood, it takes years for the police and state/federal agencies to build a case. Also, if they aren't selling hardcore drugs right now, just weed, the police do know and they just aren't getting as much attention due to the heroin crisis in this state and them focusing on combatting heroin dealers and addicts.

FWIW there is a drug house right across the street from my mom and we all get upset about it and we report them. The guy selling was in jail for 8 years until last year when he got out. He initially went to prison for selling drugs, but got out after serving his sentence. He went back to dealing so now the police have to rebuild a new case against him. It's sad it turns out like that sometime but drugs, honestly, will never stop being sold. It's one of the reasons why I support legalizing them and taxing their sale and licensing them. It would cut down on the havoc drug dealers can cause to neighborhoods.

Wanted to also note that I also don't know of any street in Toledo other than a freeway (and I don't believe any of our freeways in the city have a 70 mph limit) where you should be driving 70mph. I cannot think of any larger city in Ohio that has a 70 mph limit within the vicinity of the city. Usually it is 65 mph. I also know that in Ohio you shouldn't speed. You will get a ticket. Most people who drive through our state know this. I speed when I get to Kentucky or Michigan lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo