Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Tornadoes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 06:13 PM

4,781 posts, read 2,083,278 times

Advertisements

Rare January tornado blows through Vancouver, Wash. | KOMO-TV - Seattle, Washington | News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 09:00 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,767,807 times
I was in 'Old Town' Vancouver today when the tornado went through just north of where I was; we heard a tremendous noise we thought was sustained thunder, but later on when reading the news online (I don't have a TV), I've become fairly certain it was the tornado.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:56 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Aren't tornadoes kind of strange for your area~especially in January? Yesterday TWC was saying that the Pacific Northwest had tornado watches and that really surprised me.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:54 AM

Yes, the sources I read yesterday used the term 'rare' and this was for a tornado to form at all.

In reading the news, it was clear to me that folks here don't have a clue how to deal with tornados.....and they don't seem to understand the maxims of "hide from wind" and "run from water." One fellow who was close to the point of touchdown, apparently, Did stay inside, so that's one point for sanity, but he became interested in putting his hand up to a plate glass window and feeling the winds cause it to bulge or sag inward under the pressure..... he shouldn't even have been standing Near it, in my estimation. But he apparently felt just being indoors would protect him from anything.

But then, I grew up in the midwest with tornados appearing often during the spring & summer seasons. And one learns to seek out the innermost part of the house or structure, or go to the basement. (Of course, here in Washington there are no basements.)

Last edited by Macrina; 01-11-2008 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: typos...

Old 01-11-2008, 04:04 PM

Right~it would seem strange to me for people to not be running for shelter when a tornado is near, but like you, I also grew up in the Midwest. I'm still here actually. Guess it's just all in what we've learned and maybe some people from there don't realize how powerful some tornadoes can be. Was it a low-scaled one?

Old 01-11-2008, 05:29 PM

I believe so, I think it was an F1, but I saw somewhere that the winds were rated at 99-110, so that sounds higher than a F1. Or perhaps I'm not remembering the ranges correctly. Haven't had the time to follow up on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Right~it would seem strange to me for people to not be running for shelter when a tornado is near, but like you, I also grew up in the Midwest. I'm still here actually. Guess it's just all in what we've learned and maybe some people from there don't realize how powerful some tornadoes can be. Was it a low-scaled one?

Last edited by Macrina; 01-11-2008 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: Eh, Jammie....I lived in Ainsworth, NE for 3 years..that's almost in SD...:)

Old 01-11-2008, 11:04 PM

Exclamation Storm report from the NWS....

01/10/2008 1215 PM

Vancouver Lake, Clark County.

Tornado, reported by NWS storm survey.

Vancouver Lake boat club house demolished. Approximately 50 sculling boats damaged.

01/10/2008 1220 PM

Hazel Dell, Clark County.

Tornado with preliminary rating of EF-1 on the Enhanced Fujita scale with estimated winds of 90 to 110 mph. Tornado path length was approximately 10 miles long and 1/4 mile wide with multiple touchdowns extending from Vancouver Lake at Fruit Valley Rd... eastward to Hockinson, WA. 200 plus trees down with 12 to 24 inch diameter. About 6 trees in excess of 30 inches. Sixty to eighty homes with wind damage to roofs. 19 power poles down. Power outage for about 2500 customers.
Semi-truck turned over.

*this was only part of the report....*

Vancouver, Washington (98660) Conditions & Forecast : Weather Underground

The part about the Vancouver Lake Rowing Club is really sad; that was a non-profit organization, and I read in a separate report that everything they had is demolished - nothing at all left.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:48 AM

4,781 posts, read 2,083,278 times
Found this and wanted to share.....
National Weather Service - NWS Portland
Some history of Oregon and Washington Tornado's.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
01/10/2008 1215 PM

Vancouver Lake, Clark County.

Vancouver Lake boat club house demolished. Approximately 50 sculling boats damaged.

01/10/2008 1220 PM

Hazel Dell, Clark County.

Tornado with preliminary rating of EF-1 on the Enhanced Fujita scale with estimated winds of 90 to 110 mph. Tornado path length was approximately 10 miles long and 1/4 mile wide with multiple touchdowns extending from Vancouver Lake at Fruit Valley Rd... eastward to Hockinson, WA. 200 plus trees down with 12 to 24 inch diameter. About 6 trees in excess of 30 inches. Sixty to eighty homes with wind damage to roofs. 19 power poles down. Power outage for about 2500 customers.
Semi-truck turned over.

*this was only part of the report....*

Vancouver, Washington (98660) Conditions & Forecast : Weather Underground

The part about the Vancouver Lake Rowing Club is really sad; that was a non-profit organization, and I read in a separate report that everything they had is demolished - nothing at all left.

Wow, I'm surprised it was only an EF-1. They showed pics of the devastation it caused and I figured it'd probably be a 3 or so.

DDBN, that is an excellent site. It doesn't appear that they have anywhere near the amount of tornadoes that the Midwest has, but I was surprised they've had this many. Also, I thought Dec. or Jan. would be exceptional months for them to have one. But according to the site, it's happened in both months a few times in the past.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:23 PM

Default Here are some photos....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Wow, I'm surprised it was only an EF-1. They showed pics of the devastation it caused and I figured it'd probably be a 3 or so....
Jammie, I thought about what you said when I saw these photos on my weather page.....these show the horrific destruction from an EF-3 tornado which occurred recently in the midwest. *

Safety First by DUNDEEYANK : Weather Underground

* The url name looks unrelated, but it's from his photo caption, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Tornadoes