Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 04:52 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times

Advertisements

This article describes how Toronto has surpassed Chicago in population, an impressive feat no doubt, although Houston will probably surpass Chicago at one point in the distant future:

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...week?CMP=fb_gu
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 05:00 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Toronto surpassed Chicago in City Proper population over 3 years ago. The difference now would be even more great - probably 2.9 million for Toronto vs 2.7 million for Chicago. Of course - Chicago anchors a larger if somewhat more sprawly metropolitan area. No doubt though, Toronto as a city and metropolitan area is growing considerably faster than Chicago.

The Guardian is a British publication for all those who may think this is Canadian horn blowing.

Last edited by fusion2; 07-04-2016 at 05:13 PM..

Old 07-04-2016, 10:17 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,819,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Toronto surpassed Chicago in City Proper population over 3 years ago. The difference now would be even more great - probably 2.9 million for Toronto vs 2.7 million for Chicago. Of course - Chicago anchors a larger if somewhat more sprawly metropolitan area. No doubt though, Toronto as a city and metropolitan area is growing considerably faster than Chicago.

The Guardian is a British publication for all those who may think this is Canadian horn blowing.
True, but the author is a Torontonian. So it is, in essence, a Torontonian humblebragging about how his city. So it's still horn blowing.

Also, Toronto is indeed bigger than Chicago now (and has been for a few years), but Toronto moved quickly up the rankings due to a city-suburb consolidation. One of Illinois' biggest challenges today is the number of municipalities. In fact, Illinois has the most city jurisdictions of any state in the U.S. So the state government has led a big push towards municipal consolidation. I wouldn't be shocked if in 25 years, Chicago merges with Cook County to create a city of 5.2 million.

DuPage County, a county of 930,000 people, adjacent to Cook County, now has the power to unilaterally dissolve any and all local governments within its territory: http://www.chicagotribune.com/ct-wht...-20-story.html. And the state is pushing for that power to be given to all counties.

Old 07-04-2016, 10:58 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
This article describes how Toronto has surpassed Chicago in population, an impressive feat no doubt, although Houston will probably surpass Chicago at one point in the distant future:

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...week?CMP=fb_gu
God I hope not. Nothing against Houston, just don't want to see a historic American giant like Chicago fall back.

Old 07-05-2016, 05:25 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
True, but the author is a Torontonian. So it is, in essence, a Torontonian humblebragging about how his city. So it's still horn blowing.

Also, Toronto is indeed bigger than Chicago now (and has been for a few years), but Toronto moved quickly up the rankings due to a city-suburb consolidation. One of Illinois' biggest challenges today is the number of municipalities. In fact, Illinois has the most city jurisdictions of any state in the U.S. So the state government has led a big push towards municipal consolidation. I wouldn't be shocked if in 25 years, Chicago merges with Cook County to create a city of 5.2 million.

DuPage County, a county of 930,000 people, adjacent to Cook County, now has the power to unilaterally dissolve any and all local governments within its territory: State says DuPage County's consolidation efforts are model for others - Chicago Tribune. And the state is pushing for that power to be given to all counties.
I didn't look at the author of the article. Tbh I didn't read the article in any great detail because you usually don't find balanced information so I just glossed over it. I kind of winced when this was posted and to be fair - a Torontonian did not post this article in the forum. We've been down this Chicago v Toronto thing many times.

As for city proper yes - they are based on arbitrary borders. Indeed if the surrounding cities in the GTA decided to amalgamate you can also increase the city population of Toronto from 2.8 or 2.9 to well over 5.2 million. Driving from Toronto through Mississauga, there is nothing separating those cities except a line on a map - they are as built up areas contiguous. Same with Pickering and Toronto or Vaughan and Toronto etc etc..

The arbitrary city proper borders in place right now are interestingly comparable in area (about 242 sq miles for both Toronto and Chicago city proper). Within those comparable and currently established borders there are now more people in Toronto - its growing faster and becoming more dense. The separation between the two is expected to continue be in Toronto's favour so it'll reach 3 million, 3.5 million within that equivalent area before Chicago does as long as no further creative border work is done in both city propers.

If you compare metro regions I stick by what I said, Toronto as a region is growing faster than Chicago as a region. How each define their arbitrary borders is less important than growth within the region which each city anchors and it isn't horn blowing to conclude that as a growth story - Toronto and its region are simply growing at a faster clip than Chicago and its region. There are probably some unfair advantages for Toronto being the primary city in its country and receiving a much larger proportion of immigrants/refugees in comparative terms - but it is what it is.

Last edited by fusion2; 07-05-2016 at 06:07 AM..

Old 07-05-2016, 07:30 AM

Is the view in Canada of Chicago as a "rust belt" city wherea Toronto is a "new millenium" type of city, a New York of Canada?

Old 07-05-2016, 07:55 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Is the view in Canada of Chicago as a "rust belt" city wherea Toronto is a "new millenium" type of city, a New York of Canada?
No, there is no NYC of Canada. In 25 years Toronto is expected to be less than half the size of NYC today, so it is pointless to make the comparison. Not to mention these two cities are very different.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:02 AM

17,184 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
No, there is no NYC of Canada. In 25 years Toronto is expected to be less than half the size of NYC today, so it is pointless to make the comparison. Not to mention these two cities are very different.
I expect Toronto's "growth" to subside in the coming years.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I expect Toronto's "growth" to subside in the coming years.
Why?

Old 07-05-2016, 10:39 AM

800 posts, read 730,253 times
That's cool. I consider toronto to be in the same tier as chicago or San Fran Sisco in terms of impact rather than an la or new York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto