Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2017, 12:52 AM

4 posts, read 3,730 times

Advertisements

Hey, looking for a quick question from the locals. I plan on visiting in a few week's and will be getting into Toronto at the train station. Total newbie to public transit and it's being a little difficult for me to find the info I'm looking for.

I'm fairly certain their has to be a dedicated area for cab service somewhere on site or very near correct? Could someone direct me to where this would be? Is calling ahead required or are they just parked waiting for a rider? It wont be a far trip, it's only about 1.0 - 1.5 km. I will probably walk it if weather is fine but if the weather sucks I'm not. Rough guess how much a fare would cost with a tip?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 06:43 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,893,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azgard85 View Post
Hey, looking for a quick question from the locals. I plan on visiting in a few week's and will be getting into Toronto at the train station. Total newbie to public transit and it's being a little difficult for me to find the info I'm looking for.

I'm fairly certain their has to be a dedicated area for cab service somewhere on site or very near correct? Could someone direct me to where this would be? Is calling ahead required or are they just parked waiting for a rider? It wont be a far trip, it's only about 1.0 - 1.5 km. I will probably walk it if weather is fine but if the weather sucks I'm not. Rough guess how much a fare would cost with a tip?
You mean you are arriving at Union Station? If yes where are you going in the city? It is entirely possible for you to just take the Subway from Union or even GO Regional Transit (Regional Heavy Rail Train Service), for a more far flung place in the GTA. The Subway line and GO - go right through Union Station. It would be much cheaper and depending on time of day possibly much faster too.. Union Station is in the heart of DT Toronto. If you are in rush hour and going any distance outside the core you'll get a lot of opportunity to study the architecture of the city from your cab as you won't be moving very quickly

Old 03-31-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
You mean you are arriving at Union Station? If yes where are you going in the city? It is entirely possible for you to just take the Subway from Union or even GO Regional Transit (Regional Heavy Rail Train Service), for a more far flung place in the GTA. The Subway line and GO - go right through Union Station. It would be much cheaper and depending on time of day possibly much faster too.. Union Station is in the heart of DT Toronto. If you are in rush hour and going any distance outside the core you'll get a lot of opportunity to study the architecture of the city from your cab as you won't be moving very quickly
Staying at the Residence Inn downtown, 255 wellington st. I'm not too worried about navigating around once I drop all my stuff off at the hotel, just don't feel like lugging it around in the rain if the weather sucks. Definitely plan on traveling around though, going to be in town for a week when that music week is going on too so that sounds like it could be interesting.

Edit: Arrival is around 7:40 pm. What should I be expecting?

Last edited by azgard85; 03-31-2017 at 07:53 PM..

Old 03-31-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Staying at the Residence Inn downtown, 255 wellington st. I'm not too worried about navigating around once I drop all my stuff off at the hotel, just don't feel like lugging it around in the rain if the weather sucks. Definitely plan on traveling around though, going to be in town for a week when that music week is going on too so that sounds like it could be interesting.

Edit: Arrival is around 7:40 pm. What should I be expecting?
255 Wellington Street - ha just walk. If you see a cab on Front street and really don't wanna walk the what 10-15 labouring minutes just hail and take it

There are usually plenty of cabs on Front street which is the main street Union Station faces. If you see the Royal York (massive chateau style historic hotel) when exiting Union you know you are on Front! I'm guessing taxi fare for that distance would be around 7 or 8 bucks or so not including tip.

740 pm shouldn't be too horrible traffic wise but I personally would walk anytime of day for such a short distance. Weather in a few weeks shouldn't be too bad. Certainly not unbearable! Plus to really enjoy Old Toronto you must walk a lot!

Last edited by fusion2; 03-31-2017 at 08:35 PM..

Old 04-01-2017, 05:47 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,072,967 times
255 Wellington is a 10 min walk from Union. Cora is right around the corner

Old 04-01-2017, 09:19 PM

5,902 posts, read 6,111,296 times
There's also the PATH (underground tunnel network) that connects many of the downtown buildings and can get you to the CBC building just across the street from your hotel if the weather sucks. It can be a little confusing to navigate for a first timer though so I'd only use it if it's really pouring.

Old 04-02-2017, 12:52 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,730,901 times
I agree with fusion. Just walk. Not worth taking a cab from there or a cab in general in Toronto. Walk or take the subway/ street car. Also in advance welcome to Toronto. I hope you have a blast !

Old 04-09-2017, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
There's also the PATH (underground tunnel network) that connects many of the downtown buildings and can get you to the CBC building just across the street from your hotel if the weather sucks. It can be a little confusing to navigate for a first timer though so I'd only use it if it's really pouring.
Definitely going to check out PATH one way or another, that fascinates me and sounds like it's something cool.

Old 04-09-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Definitely going to check out PATH one way or another, that fascinates me and sounds like it's something cool.
Don't spend too much time checking out PATH. Far more worthwhile investing your time walking on the streets around the core and various nabe's east and west of the core (particularly west) of it.. The PATH doesn't really have much in the way of interesting shops. Its simply an underground walkway in the core that keeps people out of the elements to get to various places. Its functional and certainly preferable to walking in -20 weather but otherwise because the weather is improving now just walk the streets! That is the real city!

Old 04-14-2017, 10:56 AM

776 posts, read 956,864 times
Azgard85.

Link to the PATH system website.

TorontoPATH.com | Your Guide to The World's Largest Underground Shopping Complex!

Toronto is a city that is very walkable, and even at 2 am you will still see people walking around the core.

If you are interested the Toronto Transit Commission sells a number of types of transit passes, that are good for one day, or a number of days. These are accepted in ALL subways, street cars and buses in all parts of the city.

Toronto has a square mile area of 244 square miles. It is surrounded by 5 other municipalities. The greater Toronto area has a total population of 6.4 million people. About 30 percent of the total population of Canada lives with in 100 miles of Toronto. It is the largest city in Canada .

xxx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto