Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2017, 09:24 PM

271 posts, read 296,291 times

Advertisements

first of all, let me make it clear, im asking for a friend. base on his description, he went to his coworker's place on sunday night, while he was there, he had 5 or 6 beer, afterwards, he drove from his coworker's place back to his house.
when he arrived home, 3 cops immediately pulled him over and made him to take a blood alcohol test, legal limit is 0.08 and his was 0.13. i think what happened was while he was driving from his coworker's place back home, the cop noticed his driving was probably a little odd, so the cop decided to pull him over, but b/c he was so drunk at the time, he didn't even notice there was a cop behind him, so he just kept driving home.
i live in the states and was never involved in a dui situation myself. after doing some research on the internet, it seems like the law in canada is pretty clear about dui. he will have to go see a judge and appear in court in a few weeks. at this point,
q1. is hiring a lawyer will help him to get a reduced sentence?
*obviously, he wants to do some damage control for what he did. personally, i think as adults, we need to take responsibilities for our actions. and i don't believe it is right just b/c someone is willing to pay big bucks to hire a lawyer, that person can get away with committing a crime.
q2. what is the likelihood that he will be convicted for what he did?

Last edited by some1livesinamerica; 01-17-2017 at 09:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 07:13 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,057,756 times
Quote:

...... he went to his coworker's place on sunday night, while he was there, he had 5 or 6 beer..... legal limit is 0.08 and his was 0.13.....
I suspect your friend was downplaying his drinking activities and how much he had to drink when he told you what happened. A reading of 0.13 BAC is really impaired and likely more than just 5 or 6 beers. Probably more like 8 or 9 or maybe more depending on how much he weighs. In any case it sounds like he was slamming the beers back (binge drinking) to get a BAC that high in such a short period of time.

Without all the REAL facts and not knowing if there have been previous offenses it's hard to say if getting a lawyer will help him get a reduced sentence. He knew better and had to have known he was impaired but he drove anyway and with a BAC that high and then driving ...... there is no doubt in my mind that he will be sentenced. In Canada drinking and driving is a very serious offense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impair...ada#Sentencing

Quote:

A person convicted for any drinking and driving offence (which includes a refuse to comply offence) faces an automatic Canada-wide driving prohibition, and either a fine or jail sentence and the possibility of probation.

The minimum sentences are:[10][11]
  • For a first offence, a $1000 fine and a 12-month driving prohibition,
  • For a second offence, 30 days of jail and a 24-month driving prohibition, and
  • For a third or subsequent offence, 120 days of jail and a 36-month driving prohibition.
Drinking and driving offences are prior offences for refuse to comply offences, and vice versa.[10]
If no one is killed or hurt, and the prosecutor is proceeding by summary conviction, the maximum sentence is 18 months of jail. If no one is killed or hurt, and the prosecutor is proceeding by indictment, the maximum sentence is 5 years of jail.[10]

If another person suffers bodily harm because of the offence, the maximum sentence is 10 years in jail.[10]

If another person is killed because of the offence, the maximum sentence is a life sentence.[10]

If a person is convicted of both impaired operation/care or control and operation/care or control with a BAC in excess of 0.08 percent, the defendant can only be sentenced for one of the offences (the prosecutor chooses which one).[12] The same does not apply if a person is also convicted of a refuse to comply offence.

A province is allowed to set up special ignition interlock device programs specifically to limit criminal driving prohibitions. Not all provinces have such specific programs, but if they do, and a person is enrolled in one, then they can drive during their prohibition period with an interlock device, beginning as follows:
  • For a first offence, 3 months after the day of sentence,
  • For a second offence, 6 months after the day of sentence, and
  • For a third offence or subsequent offence, 12 months after the day of sentence.
Driving otherwise while on a driving prohibition is a criminal offence.

Last edited by Zoisite; 01-18-2017 at 07:25 PM..

Old 03-17-2017, 03:51 AM

9 posts, read 11,466 times
It's been a month since this post, I believe the court verdict is out. How did it go?

Old 03-23-2017, 05:00 PM

497 posts, read 423,374 times
He will get sentenced and charged accordingly. What will be the worst part is to find out if his insurance will drop him and inability to get car insurance coverage with other insurers.
In Canada, the laws are strict. After some time, a special car insurance will take him but he will be paying probably more then double for coverage.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:01 PM

20 posts, read 17,776 times
uber will be cheaper then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto