Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 01:16 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,863,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdizon416 View Post
Scarborough, Anywhere west of Markham road, east of Victoria Park
I also like this part of Scarborough, but south of the 401. So many people rag on Scarborough, call it dummpy and ghetto, but I like it. It's got character. And it's very diverse. There are low-income communities in Scarborough, but that's a good thing. Scarborough is also a mostly blue-collar place, and I like that about it too. It's also inexpensive relative to Old Toronto, has a great diversity of housing (as well as cultural diversity), has some of the best Indian food in the city, great transportation, lots of amenities, and isn't gentrifying like so many other parts of the city.

I'm glad you posted here. Maybe people who read this will head out that way and look around. If you're there, Anjupar Chettinad on Eglinton, east of McCowan is a great place to have lunch. Inexpensive and delicious. It's mostly vegetarian, but you won't care once you dig into your thali platter. And for the committed carnivore, there are some great meat and fish options as well.

Last edited by TOkidd; 03-08-2013 at 01:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 07:49 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,716,558 times
Most people are gonna post areas that are very close to downtown core or near the lake. But personally I like various neighbourhoods in T.O., no matter where they are. A few areas of my favourites (not in order)...

Yonge And Eglinton
O'C'onnor-Parkview
The Beaches
West Queen West
Don Valley Village
Oakwood-Vaughan
West Hill (Scarborough)

Old 03-11-2013, 08:26 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,601,406 times
I personally prefer neighborhoods outside of the downtown core like High Park, Little Portugal and Roncesvalles.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
I personally prefer neighborhoods outside of the downtown core like High Park, Little Portugal and Roncesvalles.
Same here.

I forgot to add. Crescent Town & Pape Village to my list of likes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I like most of the east end from Broadview in the west to Victoria Park in the east and no further north than O'connor Dr.

I lived for 25 years within those borders and loved it all. Within those borders I like the beach the best. It was always called, "The beach and didn't begin to be, "The beaches" until the mid 70s. I loved it when I was a kid in the early 60s and it was pretty run down at that time. If I moved back to TO it would be the area for me. I wouldn't care too much if Queen St. was going through a little hard time. It's a cycle. It's the lake, the boardwalk and the park I love. It's very self contained and when I lived there in the early 70s we rarely left the neighbourhood.

I also like "Little India" on Gerrard, "Greektown" along the Danforth and Riverdale.
When we sold our family home at Coxwell and Danforth in 1972 we got $19,000 for it. LOL
My frandparents had bought that house in 1932 for $5000.
Ah, memories.
Yes!

Old 03-11-2013, 10:06 AM

I agree with the posters who have mentioned that there are many great neighbourhoods outside the downtown core. For me, the area between Spadina and Jarvis, Bloor and Front is mostly for the tourists and people who work in the CBD (with the exception of Baldwin Village and the U of T campus. I'm going to talk about Baldwin Village at some point in the near future, unless someone else wants to chime in). My favourite parts of Toronto are outside the downtown core, and I especially love certain overlooked neighbourhoods like Oakwood and Vaughan (and the whole area between St. Clair West and Eglinton, and from Bathurst all the way to Old Weston), Mount Dennis, Junction Triangle, Wallace Emerson, Brockton Village and Parkdale, and the scrappy little area along Dupont and Davenport from Bathurst to Lansdowne. I also lived in the Jane and Finch area for six months and have a lot of affection for it. It's not an attractive neighbourhood in the tradtional sense, and it gets a bad rap in the press, but there is a lot to like about it, especially now that the gang problem is being dealt with and violent crime is way down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
Same here.

I forgot to add. Crescent Town & Pape Village to my list of likes.

Yes!

Crescent Town, huh? Do you mean the apartment complex itself, or the apartment complex and the surrounding neighbourhood. I took a cool series of photos there, with the subway passing over Vic Park in the faded light of late evening and the apartment towers with their illuminated windows in the background.

That's an interesting choice. When you have time I'd like to hear some of the things you like about the neighbourhood. I'm not that familiar with it, but I used to shop at the plaza on the south side of Danforth at Vic Park, so I sort of know the area. I haven't really ventured off the Danforth, though. I have walked through Crescent Town itself - it was just like any other complex of large residential highrises. But I would like to learn more about the area from someone who knows it better.

As for Pape Village, do you mean the area around Danforth and Pape? I used to live at Danforth and Jones and also at Danforth and Broadview so I know the area well. It's a great part of town; lots of restaurants, coffee shops, and other businesses, and great access to the subway. Nowadays, it's becoming more diverse, and there are more non-Greek restaurants in the area, which IMO is a good thing 'cause there's only so much Greek food a person can eat.

The whole East End, including Riverdale, Playter Estates, Danforth Village, and the south-western part of East York are great areas that are - like so many parts of Toronto - experiencing large-scale gentrification. When I first moved to the City from Mississauga in '99, I chose Riverdale because it was inexpensive to rent there. At first I lived near Queen, first at Jones, then at Logan. Back then, Queen East was like a desert. Lots of booze cans, fish and chips spots, and cheap diners. There was one good coffee shop (Tango Palace), and one good bar (The Blue Moon), and Stratengers was all right too. There was one nice restaurant called Verlaine, and another place called Hello Toast that was never open. The Joy of Java had not yet become Joy Bistro, and Bonjour Brioche was THE culinary highlight of the area. Further north, Gerrard St. East had one or two decent Chinese restaurants (it still doesn't have any really good Chinese restaurants), but if you wanted decent food you had to go all the way up to the Danforth, and then it was pretty much all Greek. Eventually I moved up to the Danforth to be closer to the subway.

Nowadays, Queen East is so different from when I lived there. Trendy little bistros have sprung up all over the place, some excellent bakeries and specialty foods stores have moved in, and there even seems to be a few good bars. The booze cans that were so ubiquitous back then are all but gone, and rents have risen to new heights. Along the Danforth, new restaurants have moved in, and the area as a whole has become a magnet for young families with $, especially the area between Carlaw and Broadview, from Danforth down to Gerrard St. East. Streets like Simpson, Withrow, Riverdale are filled with aging hipsters and their kids. Further south, closer to Queen St. East, the scene seems to be more young, upwardly mobile peeps. It has definitely lost a lot of the blue-collar feel it still had in the late 90's, early 2000's. The area north of Danforth, west of Pape hasn't changed much: it's still large older homes with an older demographic. Homes are really pricey in the Playter Estates / Danforth Village area, and it seems older residents are hanging on to them. But the changing demographic south of the Danforth has led to changes on the Danforth itself as I already described.

Thanks for your contributions to this thread people....let's keep 'em coming. Still so many great neighbourhoods in Toronto no one has talked about.

Last edited by TOkidd; 03-11-2013 at 10:28 AM..

Old 03-11-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
I agree with the posters who have mentioned that there are many great neighbourhoods outside the downtown core. For me, the area between Spadina and Jarvis, Bloor and Front is mostly for the tourists and people who work in the CBD (with the exception of Baldwin Village and the U of T campus. I'm going to talk about Baldwin Village at some point in the near future, unless someone else wants to chime in). My favourite parts of Toronto are outside the downtown core, and I especially love certain overlooked neighbourhoods like Oakwood and Vaughan (and the whole area between St. Clair West and Eglinton, and from Bathurst all the way to Old Weston), Mount Dennis, Junction Triangle, Wallace Emerson, Brockton Village and Parkdale, and the scrappy little area along Dupont and Davenport from Bathurst to Lansdowne. I also lived in the Jane and Finch area for six months and have a lot of affection for it. It's not an attractive neighbourhood in the tradtional sense, and it gets a bad rap in the press, but there is a lot to like about it, especially now that the gang problem is being dealt with and violent crime is way down.

Crescent Town, huh? Do you mean the apartment complex itself, or the apartment complex and the surrounding neighbourhood. I took a cool series of photos there, with the subway passing over Vic Park in the faded light of late evening and the apartment towers with their illuminated windows in the background.

That's an interesting choice. When you have time I'd like to hear some of the things you like about the neighbourhood. I'm not that familiar with it, but I used to shop at the plaza on the south side of Danforth at Vic Park, so I sort of know the area. I haven't really ventured off the Danforth, though. I have walked through Crescent Town itself - it was just like any other complex of large residential highrises. But I would like to learn more about the area from someone who knows it better.

As for Pape Village, do you mean the area around Danforth and Pape? I used to live at Danforth and Jones and also at Danforth and Broadview so I know the area well. It's a great part of town; lots of restaurants, coffee shops, and other businesses, and great access to the subway. Nowadays, it's becoming more diverse, and there are more non-Greek restaurants in the area, which IMO is a good thing 'cause there's only so much Greek food a person can eat.

The whole East End, including Riverdale, Playter Estates, Danforth Village, and the south-western part of East York are great areas that are - like so many parts of Toronto - experiencing large-scale gentrification. When I first moved to the City from Mississauga in '99, I chose Riverdale because it was inexpensive to rent there. At first I lived near Queen, first at Jones, then at Logan. Back then, Queen East was like a desert. Lots of booze cans, fish and chips spots, and cheap diners. There was one good coffee shop (Tango Palace), and one good bar (The Blue Moon), and Stratengers was all right too. There was one nice restaurant called Verlaine, and another place called Hello Toast that was never open. The Joy of Java had not yet become Joy Bistro, and Bonjour Brioche was THE culinary highlight of the area. Further north, Gerrard St. East had one or two decent Chinese restaurants (it still doesn't have any really good Chinese restaurants), but if you wanted decent food you had to go all the way up to the Danforth, and then it was pretty much all Greek. Eventually I moved up to the Danforth to be closer to the subway.

Nowadays, Queen East is so different from when I lived there. Trendy little bistros have sprung up all over the place, some excellent bakeries and specialty foods stores have moved in, and there even seems to be a few good bars. The booze cans that were so ubiquitous back then are all but gone, and rents have risen to new heights. Along the Danforth, new restaurants have moved in, and the area as a whole has become a magnet for young families with $, especially the area between Carlaw and Broadview, from Danforth down to Gerrard St. East. Streets like Simpson, Withrow, Riverdale are filled with aging hipsters and their kids. Further south, closer to Queen St. East, the scene seems to be more young, upwardly mobile peeps. It has definitely lost a lot of the blue-collar feel it still had in the late 90's, early 2000's. The area north of Danforth, west of Pape hasn't changed much: it's still large older homes with an older demographic. Homes are really pricey in the Playter Estates / Danforth Village area, and it seems older residents are hanging on to them. But the changing demographic south of the Danforth has led to changes on the Danforth itself as I already described.

Thanks for your contributions to this thread people....let's keep 'em coming. Still so many great neighbourhoods in Toronto no one has talked about.
I meant the entire neighbourhood (not just the buildings (at Crescent town). Also for Pape Village, the same thing..... All along Pape From Cosburn to the north, to the Danforth to the south. Its such a nice area and is very diverse and mixed with many amenities. Im at work now, but I will reply later on today or tmrw when I have time for a more detailed reply to why I like Crescent Town and Pape Village. But I agree with you for the most part. But for my now my msgs are gonna be shorter while typing from work lol...

Parts of the downtown east/east end of Toronto need a make over though... Some areas just look depressing and "aged" IMO. The Pan Am Village development, St Lawrence Market construction sites and a few other places like on Carlaw Ave where various mid rises are bringing new life there etc are getting better but some parts are neglected and need change.

Quick question (to you and anyone else in this thread): Which part of Toronto has your more "preferred" neighbourhoods? East or West? (Using Yonge St. as the city's diving line of course)

Old 03-17-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post

Sorry for the late reply. But as for Crescent Town, I just love the mix of residential type within the area, the location and the proximity to other areas. Its not far from: the lake, the beaches, the bluffs, not too far from the core either which is what I like. Also its accessible to other areas out east easily and also contains a nearby subway station (VP stn) and a GO stn is also nearby. Golf courses and lots of park space is also close by as well.

But the area itself is nice mix of condos, highrise rentals, houses etc. and various other housing trype which diversifies the area along with storefront along the danforth and so on. Hard to explain, but I like that area for some reason.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:29 AM

14 posts, read 16,099 times
I like Parkdale and generally westend Toronto. Yonge/Eglinton too. Thanks for the tip on urbantoronto will check it out next.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:59 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,057,902 times
Roncesvalles....love it! BUT honestly Toronto has so many great areas to live in.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:22 PM

^^^^Roncesvalles and Vaughan Rd / Oakwood are both great areas. Very different, but equally great in their own way. Vaughan Rd. is more my style (I like Vaughan Rd. all the way from St. Clair W to Oakwood. One of my fave residential streets in the city), because Rncesvalles seems to have changed too much, too fast, and has become really expensive. It's a shame, because it could be a great neighbourhood for mid and low-income people too with all the apartment buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto