Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 12:35 PM

3,715 posts, read 5,265,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Yes but I still prefer Toronto. Chicago is an ugly city IMO.
Chicago is NOT ugly, it has tons of beautiful architecture in both residential areas and downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 01:09 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,857,453 times
If you are going to use the population of Chicagoland as your benchmark, then it makes more sense to compare it to the Golden Horseshoe - an area of similar size, with multiple towns and cities forming a contiguous urban area - instead of the GTA, which only includes the City of Toronto and its immediate suburbs.

In this case, the Golden Horeshoe has a population of 8.76 million while Chicagoland has a population of 9.7 million.

As far as Chicago being an ugly city, that's not true at all, but it does have many large blighted areas in comparison to Toronto.

Both cities have their charms. Both cities have areas in need of improvement. Both are great cities in their own right.

IMO, Chicago's rate of violent crime really has to be tackled, because when large swathes of a city are virtual war zones, and accidentally wandering into one can lead to serious consequences for the hapless resident or visitor, that city can never reach its full potential. And Chicagoland has far too many blighted, crime-ridden neighbourhoods where residents live in fear for their safety. This is something that Chicago needs to deal with.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:02 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,711,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Yes but I still prefer Toronto. Chicago is an ugly city IMO.
Chicago is not ugly.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:06 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,025,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_jordania View Post
Toronto's population takes over Chicago: The Star

Thoughts?
Damn, I totally missed the news that Toronto had invaded Chicago.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:58 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times
Torontoland > Chicagoland

Old 03-12-2013, 11:29 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,193,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
it would happen sooner or later when one is growing with decent rate while the other has been in consistent decline.

It doesn't mean much honestly. Chicago is still a more powerful and wealthier city in general. Toronto should focus on improving itself by building the necessary infrastructure and creating more jobs rather than being obsessed with catching up with someone in terms of size. And I would love to have some of Chicago's amazing buildings and its superb waterfront.

4th largest, that's about it. Toronto will never be larger than LA within the next 50 years (unless there is a huge earthquake there of course).
Would any city really want to be as large as LA? I doubt it. 4th largest is still extremely large!

Old 03-12-2013, 11:38 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I like your version of what our city should become, I just don't think reality will allow for it in terms of the need for high densification in our urban cores. As long as there is fuel for the fire of condo developer's those 60 story and above condo's will keep popping up. I do think we need some affordable and new developments to start occuring. If you rent in Toronto you are renting in a Commie Block building or paying an outrageous amount to rent a shoebox sized condo.

After visiting both cities I find that Toronto and in particular Old Toronto has a much more interesting and happening urban core than Chicago and in particular Downtown Chicago. On the flipside, The suburbs of Chicago are more interesting and urban than that of the suburbs of T.O.

Basically, In Toronto the place to be is Downtown, not Scarborough, North York or Mississauga. In Chicago everyone parties in the burbs. They go downtown to work along with tourists who go to visit attractions. I couldn't believe how far from the Loop (where my hotel was) to go to Boystown to check out the gay scene in Chicago. It would be like travelling from Downtown Toronto to Etobicoke...
The part I bolded seems off. The North Side neighborhoods aren't downtown, but generally people wouldn't call them the burbs either.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:47 AM

287 posts, read 340,683 times
Great for Toronto! Chicago is a ****hole full of crime and urban decay. The CTA is a broken-down version of TTC that has CONTRACTED instead of expanded, like what the TTC is actively doing. I rode the Toronto subway before, and it's 100x nicer than Chicago's rotten metal shacks called the El. I'm curious of why so many people hold Chicago to a high regard when in reality it's an ugly ****ed-up mess that has been declining for 60 years and will continue to do so?

Old 03-13-2013, 08:51 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,718,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigGeo08 View Post
Great for Toronto! Chicago is a ****hole full of crime and urban decay. The CTA is a broken-down version of TTC that has CONTRACTED instead of expanded, like what the TTC is actively doing. I rode the Toronto subway before, and it's 100x nicer than Chicago's rotten metal shacks called the El. I'm curious of why so many people hold Chicago to a high regard when in reality it's an ugly ****ed-up mess that has been declining for 60 years and will continue to do so?
desipte being rotten metal shacks, Chicago's El still has twice as many stations and and with a systam 2.5X long.

Toronto will never have NYC's subway coverage, but would be nice to match the El, no matter how bad it looks. I will take an old rottle shack that covers 2.5 times the area over new and cleans but much smaller one any day.

TTC hasn't expanded since 2002 and we won't see anything new until 2022.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:50 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,711,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
desipte being rotten metal shacks, Chicago's El still has twice as many stations and and with a systam 2.5X long.

Toronto will never have NYC's subway coverage, but would be nice to match the El, no matter how bad it looks. I will take an old rottle shack that covers 2.5 times the area over new and cleans but much smaller one any day.

TTC hasn't expanded since 2002 and we won't see anything new until 2022.

This is true and the El even reaches the Airport. But with the El being 2.5X larger it still doesnt even have 2.5X the usage the TTC does even though its larger and more expansive. Also their fares are cheaper but that still doesn't make it a more used system being 2.5X larger.

The TTC (yes Torontonians like to complain about the service, ridership costs, sleeping ticket booth collectors and all that etc) is still the third largest transit system in North America (after NYC and Mexico City) and continues to grow in ridership year after year despite its "smaller size", minimal expansion, ongoing increasing fare costs and other issues.

Toronto may not have 150 subway stations but the TTC still has some "advantages" to its system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto