Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 08:31 AM

26 posts, read 63,530 times

Advertisements

So I've been reading through the threads and I have a general idea of what I think I'd like to do in Toronto for the day I'm taking my hubby there. I'm planning the whole thing and he's just supposed to enjoy the ride
We're driving in through Detroit very early Tuesday morning July 9th and spending the night, and leaving after breakfast on Wed.
I'm sad I'm not staying a couple more days, but we're on a schedule and only just visiting Michigan.

I need help deciding on an affordable hotel (less that $100 ideal). We don't care where we stay as long as it's clean, free/safe/affordable parking and not too far for us to go after we're exhausted running around the city (no more than like a 10-15 min drive) In or close to downtown would be amazing, but I'm flexible for a good deal.

I'm assuming parking is a nightmare in the city? Can you recommend some good places to park our car for the day if we decide just to take public transportation around? I'm not sure whether the subway, streetcar or buses are better - but I'm considering a Day Pass. It would be nice if we could park our car at our hotel and take transportation, but I don't mind paying a bit for good public parking instead of an arm and a leg for a hotel room.
Or, we are also not opposed to driving around, but I'm not sure how easy it is to find parking as you go around....and I'm not interested in paying $10 each time we need to park somewhere if that's the case

We will come in early and be ready for some breakfast/brunch in or around the city. Any recommendations?

I'm definitely interested in grabbing some lunch at possibly a very good Chinese place - I think I read somewhere Toronto is known for good Chinese? If that's the case - please tell me the best restaurants. Fancy not necessary - I appreciate good food I don't care if they're downtown/in Chinatown or in a more suburban area.

Where's a great outdoor location to get an amazing skyline picture? (especially at night?)

I have already decided on a Portuguese seafood place for dinner (loooove seafood), so that's at least decided! It's on St. Claire near Carleton Village.

We hate tourist traps (although we might take a picture next to it lol), especially on a first visit, and like to get to know new cities by seeing the most important/unique sites and areas and eat where locals eat. We like history, views/landscapes, food, local markets and shops, architecture (especially castles!), oceans, culture and just seeing as much as possible. We are photographers so we love good places for photos. We like museums but it depends on how much admission is.

Are there any good consignment, antique or secondhand shops you can recommend?
What about Latino areas? Any good sites, eats or latin/salsa dancing?

My itinerary so far - I'm not sure about the proximities to each other yet - any help would be awesome!:
St. Lawrence Market (first thing after breakfast)
Yorkville (is this near St. Lawrence Market?)
Queens Park
Chinatown
Kensington Market
Woodbine Beach
Walk King Street, Queen Street, Spadina, and College for architechture
Yonge-Dundas Square
Take a streetcar somewhere!
Lunch - Chinese?
Greektown
Quick visit to Eaton Centre (worth it?)
Don Valley Brickworks (worth it?)
Toronto Islands (worth it?)
Night landscape pictures!
Entertainment District

I decided against CityPass sites, Ontario Science Centre, The Art Gallery of Ontario and Allan Gardens

Am I missing anything that really defines Toronto?

Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 01:09 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,241,768 times
The Toronto Islands wound be an excellent place to take a skyline photo from.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:07 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,437,103 times
What is with all these people coming to TORONTO FOR 1 DAY?

Old 06-07-2013, 09:37 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,051,858 times
How on earth are you going to do that in 1 day? Heh, good luck.

Quote:
My itinerary so far - I'm not sure about the proximities to each other yet - any help would be awesome!:
I know I sound like a dick but google maps is a lot of help. Christ, I've spent hours researching landmarks/proximities/transit in cities that I don't plan on visiting until years from now.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:21 PM

85 posts, read 134,955 times
I've been to Toronto a couple of times since my husband is Canadian and his family lives in Oakville. We've walked the main streets like Yonge, King, Queen and College. I don't feel its unrealistic to cover them in one day if you plan ahead. It's really just walking and I love to take extended walks wherever I am and we always make it a point of walking around downtown when we visit.

Also OP, forget the seafood. I went to Rodney's Oyster house which was supposed to be the best seafood restaurant in town and it was so expensive for average food (I live on the East Coast so forgive me!). Save your money. I recommend going for a Potine! Greasy but sooo worth it. Toronto is a very diverse city but also quiet, civil and clean.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
What is with all these people coming to TORONTO FOR 1 DAY?

It's a conspiracy man......it a consipiracy I'm telling you

Old 06-13-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
How on earth are you going to do that in 1 day? Heh, good luck.

I know I sound like a dick but google maps is a lot of help. Christ, I've spent hours researching landmarks/proximities/transit in cities that I don't plan on visiting until years from now.

I don't really have much of a choice considering our schedule. It's a viable option for us to do so....why not?

I look a lot on google maps....but I think people consult the forums for some insider help. At least...that's why I do it

Old 06-13-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phili80 View Post
I've been to Toronto a couple of times since my husband is Canadian and his family lives in Oakville. We've walked the main streets like Yonge, King, Queen and College. I don't feel its unrealistic to cover them in one day if you plan ahead. It's really just walking and I love to take extended walks wherever I am and we always make it a point of walking around downtown when we visit.

Also OP, forget the seafood. I went to Rodney's Oyster house which was supposed to be the best seafood restaurant in town and it was so expensive for average food (I live on the East Coast so forgive me!). Save your money. I recommend going for a Potine! Greasy but sooo worth it. Toronto is a very diverse city but also quiet, civil and clean.

Thanks for the recommendation I was def thinking of doing a walk in those areas! So it's nice to hear someone else enjoyed it!
Potine sounds like a good place, but I don't do greasy very well I will definitely note it down though in case anyone asks me in the future about eating places!

Old 06-13-2013, 08:37 AM

564 posts, read 1,040,536 times
I would definitely leave the car somewhere and use TTC. Just driving and parking will eat up too much of your time, not to mention the frustration and expense. Just bring comfortable shoes!

Here's a walking tour that will take you through some of the spots you have indicated. I actually just did most of this recently with my in-laws.
  • start at Bloor and Yonge (Yorkville area)
  • breakfast at The Sunset Grill on Bloor (slightly east of Yonge/Bloor at Park Rd)
  • walk west on Bloor (this is the shopping district of Yorkville) to Avenue Rd/Queens Park intersection (you will see the ROM - Royal Ontario Museum on corner, can't miss it).
  • head south on Queen's Park, cut through the actual park continuing south, and check out the statue of King Edward and his purple-balled horse, and the Ontario Legislature building.
  • continue south to College St, turn right (west) until you get to Spadina
  • left (south) onto Spadina until you see Baldwin St (entering Chinatown area)
  • turn right onto Baldwin, check out Kensington Market
  • Head south on Kensington Ave to Dundas (more Chinatown)
  • Head left (east) on Dundas and either catch a streetcar or enjoy the 15-20 min walk to Yonge (Yonge and Dundas Square/Eaton Center)
  • walk through Eaton Center, exit onto Queen St (or if the mall is not your thing, just continue south on Yonge. For us it is a good rest and refresh spot.)
  • Turn right on Queen and check out the Old City Hall and Nathan Philips Square.
At this point you can continue south on York, Bay, University, etc, towards Front St for Air Canada Centre, CN Tower, Rogers Centre, maybe diverting onto King St for walk-of-fame and entertainment districts, or Bay/Wellington for financial if you like huge and impressive bank buildings. Or walk east towards Jarvis, then cut down to King for the St Lawrence Market.

To explore further, you can also head east on a Queen or King streetcar to the Beach (eastbound Queen streetcar to Northern Dancer or Woodbine, walk south) or Distillery District (take eastbound King streetcar to Trinity, walk south on Trinity to entrance at Mill St).

One day is not enough, but that should give you a taste.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:43 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,861,703 times
Cheapest hotels will be out near the airport or in Brampton. It will take 30 to 40 minutes without traffic to drive to the core of the city. They may still charge you $10 for parking out there. Try priceline or secret hotel deals on Travelocity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto