Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 11:29 AM

11 posts, read 13,150 times

Advertisements

Is there a neighborhood in Toronto where a car is not needed for shopping or other errands? I am looking for a relatively safe neighborhood. I am a senior citizen who would like to be self-sufficient but without a car. My primary use for a car now is to go grocery shopping. I am looking to rent a place. Any suggestions or ideas will be a help.

Last edited by fiona2017; 08-25-2017 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: didn't finish question properly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 02:13 PM

287 posts, read 306,907 times
Most of the downtown residents don't have a car, for one the insurance and parking are really expensive , and more importantly , you can pretty much walk to all the places that you need on a regular basis , including grocery stores

Old 08-25-2017, 03:10 PM

5,902 posts, read 6,111,296 times
Most areas within about 5 miles of downtown should be fine. Even up to 10 miles in some cases.

Old 08-25-2017, 03:34 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,730,901 times
Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiona2017 View Post
Is there a neighborhood in Toronto where a car is not needed for shopping or other errands? I am looking for a relatively safe neighborhood. I am a senior citizen who would like to be self-sufficient but without a car. My primary use for a car now is to go grocery shopping. I am looking to rent a place. Any suggestions or ideas will be a help.
You bugdet for rent is key. There are lots of options. Where are you coming from ex are you moving from outside of the city in to the city?

Also what is your lifestyle like? Ex are the types of things you want to do for fun or that matter to you?

You busy on an environment do you want to be in? Toronto offers very different type of living experiences.

Old 08-26-2017, 06:38 AM

Please tell me about rents. Are there senior only living arrangements? I have a boring life style primarily because I am too old to do much of anything except walk. My entertainment consists of watching TV and surfing the net. I enjoy reading forums like this one and Quora. I watch news and read about environmental issues. Politics is also important because I am terrified of the current administration and their plans. That's why I am interested in moving to Canada. I have been a frequent visitor and always felt like Canada is more my home than the USA. So where in Toronto or environs should I go?

Old 08-26-2017, 06:39 AM

What kind of grocery stores are available? Can you quote me some food item prices like coffee, cheese, dairy products?

Old 08-26-2017, 07:34 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,047,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiona2017 View Post
Please tell me about rents. Are there senior only living arrangements? I have a boring life style primarily because I am too old to do much of anything except walk. My entertainment consists of watching TV and surfing the net. I enjoy reading forums like this one and Quora. I watch news and read about environmental issues. Politics is also important because I am terrified of the current administration and their plans. That's why I am interested in moving to Canada. I have been a frequent visitor and always felt like Canada is more my home than the USA. So where in Toronto or environs should I go?
Before you start researching rental properties:

- Are you a Canadian citizen?
- If not, have you started the immigration process? It's a long process and you're not necessarily going to be able to move here.

Old 08-26-2017, 07:43 AM

287 posts, read 306,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Before you start researching rental properties:

- Are you a Canadian citizen?
- If not, have you started the immigration process? It's a long process and you're not necessarily going to be able to move here.
This....
None of those information would be useful if you are not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
And if you are a senior citizen , the only way to get PR is probably through sponsorship by your children who are Canadian citizen or PR, and currently it is lottery-based, with the chance of being drawn at 1:10

Last edited by moveagain; 08-26-2017 at 07:52 AM..

Old 08-27-2017, 06:32 AM

I am ineligible to apply for Canadian citizenship. At best I can stay in Canada for 6 months and then return to the US for 6 months. I will take this deal. I would still like to know about living in Toronto. A 6 month rental is what I need. Or info about how I can be taken in by someone for 6 months. I don't know what kind of living facilities are available, if any, for my circumstances. I would have to pay for medical care myself. I don't want a car because based upon what i have learned so far, it would be a hassle. I have signed up at Trusted Housesitters but most of the Toronto sits are short term so I would still need a base. I know what I am asking is peculiar but so is the US right now and for the forseeable future. I don't know if house sitting would mean I have a recognizable job so there's that. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 08-27-2017, 07:05 AM

776 posts, read 956,864 times
While I can understand your motives, you are attempting to do something that is just about impossible.

Yes, a US citizen MAY be allowed to visit Canada for a short period of time... but that is entirely at the discretion of the CBSA officer that interviews you at the port of entry. That bit about `six months in Canada `` is not carved in stone... Not at all. Your stay could be limited to as little as 14 days, or you could be denied entry.

You would be regarded by any potential landlord here as a poor risk as a tenant. How will you pay the rent . Most tenant leases here are for a year.

Looking for a `shared accommodation `is a risky business. As a single senior, you could be taken advantage of... by a unscrupulous person.

In my opinion ( I am 71 myself ) I would not do this.

xxx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto