Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 02:16 PM

15 posts, read 11,382 times

Advertisements

I am an American and I have been living in Poland for a few years and now I am making a move to Canada. One of my main reasons for this is that I am bored with Poland and I want to progress in my career. I am an actress and the market for actors is very limited. So I have decided to move to Toronto. However I would like to work in Montreal and Vancouver.

I know that Toronto has been considered the "Hollywood of the North" and I would like to know from actors who live in Toronto if life is good for actors.

Is Toronto a nice place to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 07:00 PM

13 posts, read 16,849 times
If you want old school charm with reasonable prices, head to Montreal.

If you want to be around a vibrant and energetic community, come on down to Toronto! =)

We love Montreal but I'm not certain about what's life like for actors/actresses.

J.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:24 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Might just be the right time for you to make this move as the major studios are probably going to ramp up production scheduling in Canada to take advantage of the U.S. dollar advantage giving them at least a 30% reduction in Canadian production costs over the U.S.

Old 01-20-2016, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcat1981 View Post
If you want old school charm with reasonable prices, head to Montreal.

If you want to be around a vibrant and energetic community, come on down to Toronto! =)

We love Montreal but I'm not certain about what's life like for actors/actresses.

J.
Both sound very appealing to me. I think Toronto will be god and maybe I can divide my time between the two.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:15 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,449,141 times
I hate to be a nag, but......

Being an actor is not something that is going to result in your being approved by the Canadian Government, as a Immigrant. Do you have any post secondary education ? Do you have any actual employment skills that Canada may need ?

My point is simple.....why would Canada import an actor, when we have many of our own citizens, who want that type of work ?

Is there any reason why you, as a US citizen cannot return to your own country, and seek work ?

Jim B.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:36 AM

26,872 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Note that many (but not all) acting jobs in Montreal will require French...

Old 01-20-2016, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
I hate to be a nag, but......

Being an actor is not something that is going to result in your being approved by the Canadian Government, as a Immigrant. Do you have any post secondary education ? Do you have any actual employment skills that Canada may need ?

My point is simple.....why would Canada import an actor, when we have many of our own citizens, who want that type of work ?

Is there any reason why you, as a US citizen cannot return to your own country, and seek work ?

Jim B.
I am not happy with the US and I as a human should be able to live where ever I want. I actually want to work in the film industry in Canada and I like the country and feel safe there. Mind you I am not trying to be a nag but just because I am a US citizen(something i had no choice of being) I should not have to feel the need to go back there. Why can I not love a country that is not my native?

The world is my oyster and I have come to realize that life is short, very short so why settle for less than what I want.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Note that many (but not all) acting jobs in Montreal will require French...
That is what I thought, but I have knowledge of French and one of my life's goals is to become fluent in the language. Thanks for the reply.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:30 AM

26,872 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahsoka23 View Post
That is what I thought, but I have knowledge of French and one of my life's goals is to become fluent in the language. Thanks for the reply.
Well, there are some US productions in Montreal (which will increase due to the low Canadian dollar) as well as English Canada productions, but the bulk of productions there are for the domestic market which is Québécois and in French.

BTW there are a number roles there for people who speak French but with distinctive accents like anglo, German, Chinese, etc.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:53 AM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahsoka23 View Post
I am not happy with the US and I as a human should be able to live where ever I want. I actually want to work in the film industry in Canada and I like the country and feel safe there. Mind you I am not trying to be a nag but just because I am a US citizen(something i had no choice of being) I should not have to feel the need to go back there. Why can I not love a country that is not my native?

The world is my oyster and I have come to realize that life is short, very short so why settle for less than what I want.

Like it or not, as a US citizen you cannot simply move to Canada because you want to. It is a long process, and most people don't meet the criteria for immigration. Canadian immigration used to have a scored questionnaire on-line (I imagine they still do) that will tell you if you have a reasonable shot at being allowed into the country as a permanent resident. I am sure you can go to Canada on a student visa and study acting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto