Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 08:00 AM

27 posts, read 25,640 times

Advertisements

Thank you so much all for the discussion and sharing your experiences and knowledge. This is very helpful, and will definitely help us move along through our plans to relocate and settle in Canada. I am sure my spouse will find it comforting that there is care and support available for him in Toronto, similar to what he receives in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 04:56 PM

659 posts, read 899,336 times
Good luck Zweidler.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:01 PM

Hey guys,

Is LinkedIn an active social/professional networking app in Canada?

Old 02-10-2015, 02:09 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,175,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweidler View Post
Hey guys,

Is LinkedIn an active social/professional networking app in Canada?
Yep. Pretty much all social networks used in America are also being used widely in Canada. That also goes for streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, and Google apps.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:49 PM

287 posts, read 306,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Yep. Pretty much all social networks used in America are also being used widely in Canada. That also goes for streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, and Google apps.
Hulu is available now( w/o vpn)?

Old 02-12-2015, 04:08 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:

I am in a same-sex marriage to a U.S. citizen who will also be moving to Toronto, once I have secured a job, a place to live, and sponsored him as a resident of Canada. My spouse is HIV positive. What type of care can he expect being a Canadian resident in terms of his medication? Will he need to obtain private insurance? Will he be covered under the state/provincial -sponsored medical coverage like Health card etc.?
I think your first priority before making any plans is find out whether or not your spouse will be admissable as an HIV positive immigrant, and also because of his age. If he's not admissable will you still want to return to Canada?

If he already requires a lot of medical care and prescriptions right now in America he might not qualify to immigrate at all based on his future medical needs. Canada Immigration has some fairly stiff, uncompromising regulations about not admitting applicants who are already sick and/or have communicable diseases and will permanently require extra medical care and expensive medications to the extent that they could become a burden on the universal health care system. They also tend to be very suspicious of any applicant who is ill that they think might be trying to come to Canada for the sole purpose of taking advantage of the universal health care system. So I think it's likely you will need the services of an immigration lawyer who is experienced in advising clients on HIV.

Anyway, here is a link for you to go to that may be able to give you further information if you make enquiries about whether or not your spouse may be eligible or qualifies to immigrate to Canada:

HIVTravel - Regulations on Entry, Stay and Residence for PLHIV

Old 02-12-2015, 04:54 PM

287 posts, read 306,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I think your first priority before making any plans is find out whether or not your spouse will be admissable as an HIV positive immigrant, and also because of his age. If he's not admissable will you still want to return to Canada?

If he already requires a lot of medical care and prescriptions right now in America he might not qualify to immigrate at all based on his future medical needs. Canada Immigration has some fairly stiff, uncompromising regulations about not admitting applicants who are already sick and/or have communicable diseases and will permanently require extra medical care and expensive medications to the extent that they could become a burden on the universal health care system. They also tend to be very suspicious of any applicant who is ill that they think might be trying to come to Canada for the sole purpose of taking advantage of the universal health care system. So I think it's likely you will need the services of an immigration lawyer who is experienced in advising clients on HIV.

Anyway, here is a link for you to go to that may be able to give you further information if you make enquiries about whether or not your spouse may be eligible or qualifies to immigrate to Canada:

HIVTravel - Regulations on Entry, Stay and Residence for PLHIV

I think HIV wouldn't be a problem if sponsored by spouse
http://www.aidslaw.ca/site/wp-conten...A_0513-ENG.pdf

Old 02-13-2015, 04:00 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moveagain View Post
I think HIV wouldn't be a problem if sponsored by spouse
http://www.aidslaw.ca/site/wp-conten...A_0513-ENG.pdf
Good link...

The way I read it however is that one applying for permanent residency who is being sponsored by a spouse be it married or common law would not have to establish that they would be an excessive demand on health care or social service. So in the case of the OP it wouldn't appear to be an issue solely because the OP is a Canadian citizen sponsoring his spouse for PR.. I do think however that an immigration lawyer/consultant is the way to go - not just because of HIV but just because its one heckuva process. If one piece of information is missing it can delay the process over and over again...

Old 02-13-2015, 04:52 PM

Yes, that is what I am thinking also - to get in touch with an immigration attorney. My partner has been HIV+ since 1995, undetected, takes only one or two of the required medications. I believe it is different than someone who has AIDS and requires more focused care with accrued expenses.

I don't want to move to Canada without him. If he is deemed inadmissible due to his condition, that will potentially be a deal breaker.

I have been focusing on networking and reaching out to recruiters for potential job opportunities. But I think getting clarity on this issue first should be a priority.

Thank you!

Old 02-13-2015, 05:32 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Yes, that is what I am thinking also - to get in touch with an immigration attorney. My partner has been HIV+ since 1995, undetected, takes only one or two of the required medications. I believe it is different than someone who has AIDS and requires more focused care with accrued expenses.

I don't want to move to Canada without him. If he is deemed inadmissible due to his condition, that will potentially be a deal breaker.

I have been focusing on networking and reaching out to recruiters for potential job opportunities. But I think getting clarity on this issue first should be a priority.

Thank you!
Have you considered an out of Canada sponsorship? This way you can sponsor him while living in the U.S and wait until the application is accepted and he gets PR.. Based on what I read I really don't think he'd be denied because of the HIV, he is your spouse and you are a Canadian resident willing to sponsor him for PR.. They can deny him for other reasons though - like coming to the conclusion your relatioship isn't valid.. The longer you have been together obviously the easier it will be to prove validity.. Based on what you've wrote so far I don't think you'll have much to worry about.. You sound and your partner sound more mature so that right there is a benefit.. As long as your partner isn't 20 or more years younger than you, I really think it will work out!

Anyway - Immigration lawyer/consultant my friend - SO MUCH EASIER..

Ferreira-Wells Canada | Canadian Immigration
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto