Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 05:46 PM

800 posts, read 730,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Oh that's a given - forking out 3500K per month for rent you'd need to pull in 100K per year as a minimum.. I don't know what net income would be in NYC with 100K per year but even if you say take home 75000K - 3500K per month in rent is 42K a year alone.. That doesn't take care of food and other living costs.. Plus you'd need to buy a decent wardrobe so clothing would be pricey.. I don't think the average person in NYC or the average small family is doing all that well relative to other major cities in Canamerica tbh.. Expenses relative to income would probably put them on a level playing field as the average Torontonian.
Which makes Manhattan great imo. It's so expensive you need to be somebody to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 05:50 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karassmatic View Post
Which makes Manhattan great imo. It's so expensive you need to be somebody to live there.
LOL - I think it just means that in order to live in the ritzier parts of Manhattan you need to make good coin just to live a modest lifestyle (lets not forget as well, there are plenty parts of Manhattan that aren't exactly ritzy and with swaths of Public housing also) - so no not everyone is 'somebody' - I dunno man you just seem to elevate the place to something more exalted than it really is for most people who live there.. There are very few Michael Bloomberg's in Manhattan.

Not to sound crude but they put their pants on the same as you or I do and they still do number 2

Also, I have a great job here and feel I contribute to the city and region I live in so I feel like a 'somebody' right where I am.. Like any place it always boils down to it is what YOU make it!

Old 09-21-2015, 06:04 PM

Quote:
LOL - I think it just means that in order to live in the ritzier parts of Manhattan you need to make good coin just to live a modest lifestyle (lets not forget as well, there are plenty parts of Manhattan that aren't exactly ritzy and with swaths of Public housing also) - so no not everyone is 'somebody' - I dunno man you just seem to elevate the place to something more exalted than it really is for most people who live there.. There are very few Michael Bloomberg's in Manhattan.

Not to sound crude but they put their pants on the same as you or I do and they still do number 2

Also, I have a great job here and feel I contribute to the city and region I live in so I feel like a 'somebody' right where I am.. Like any place it always boils down to it is what YOU make it!
Nyc is everything toronto wants to be. I think you are overstating toronto in most of your posts. It's a cool city but it's not THAT city . I used to think so till I went to other cities and realized how much toronto is not like nyc. If I became somebody I'd much rather be in Manhattan tham toronto. If you love big cities i don't know why anyone would rather be in toronto that Manhattan unless of course you are from here and are sentimentally attached.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Nyc is everything toronto wants to be. I think you are overstating toronto in most of your posts. It's a cool city but it's not THAT city . I used to think so till I went to other cities and realized how much toronto is not like nyc. If I became somebody I'd much rather be in Manhattan tham toronto. If you love big cities i don't know why anyone would rather be in toronto that Manhattan unless of course you are from here and are sentimentally attached.
Overstating Toronto? Are you trying to be unnecessarily combative here.. I didn't say anything In this thread to overstate Toronto.. You were the one who said in NYC you are a somebody - well no most people in NYC are like most people in Toronto - struggling to make a living and/or raise a family......period.

Saying NYC is everything Toronto wants to be is just childish and juvenile.. Both cities are fantastic in their own way and yes BOTH cities have their own problems. That isn't overstating anything its simply keeping it real.. With that said, why don't you try to get a job and digs in NYC? It seems like the answer is rather simple lol - or do you admit to not being a 'somebody'..

I guess the question to you is - who is a somebody - those in the top 5 percent of the income gene pool? The 95 percent are just peons? For me, a somebody is doing what they want with their life and for me I work hard and travel .. I find it far more interesting to travel the world than to be tied down to any one city - even if its NYC. As a matter of fact, through my travels NYC is not in the top 10 most exciting places in appeal to live and not to visit (same with Toronto so i'm not overstating it at all here) either - the world is a big place!...

Here's a bit of perspective reading for ya

http://www.slate.com/articles/busine..._than_you.html

Last edited by fusion2; 09-21-2015 at 06:22 PM..

Old 09-21-2015, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Overstating Toronto? Are you trying to be unnecessarily combative here.. I didn't say anything In this thread to overstate Toronto.. You were the one who said in NYC you are a somebody - well no most people in NYC are like most people in Toronto - struggling to make a living and/or raise a family......period.

Saying NYC is everything Toronto wants to be is just childish and juvenile.. Both cities are fantastic in their own way and yes BOTH cities have their own problems. That isn't overstating anything its simply keeping it real.. With that said, why don't you try to get a job and digs in NYC? It seems like the answer is rather simple lol - or do you admit to not being a 'somebody'..

I guess the question to you is - who is a somebody - those in the top 5 percent of the income gene pool? The 95 percent are just peons? For me, a somebody is doing what they want with their life and for me I work hard and travel .. I find it far more interesting to travel the world than to be tied down to any one city - even if its NYC. As a matter of fact, through my travels NYC is not in the top 10 most exciting places to in appeal to live and not to visit either - the world is a big place!...

Here's a bit of perspective reading for ya

New York City census data: Manhattan and Brooklyn are much poorer than you think.
Man I like nyc much better than toronto. And I think the most successful people. Or those I would want to be like are from there. If yo u take offense it's your own fault.

And I am nobody in toronto I'm just an average Joe up here. I know I would need to get out of here to do what I always wanted to do.

Matter of fact. No offense but I would say you are a nobody as well and you cat change my negative opinions on this city because I have had too many negative experiences here that made me negative about this city

Old 09-21-2015, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Man I like nyc much better than toronto. And I think the most successful people. Or those I would want to be like are from there. If yo u take offense it's your own fault.

And I am nobody in toronto I'm just an average Joe up here. I know I would need to get out of here to do what I always wanted to do.

Matter of fact. No offense but I would say you are a nobody as well and you cat change my negative opinions on this city because I have had too many negative experiences here that made me negative about this city
Well everyone has their own 'likes' about any place.. TBH - if I had the time i'd rather be in Bangkok, Istanbul, Mexico City, London before I'd want to hang my hat in NYC. Obviously NYC is a larger and more important city, more vibrant and urban than Toronto (as it is over any other Canamerican city) - not once did I question that.. All I said and its very simple, for most people who aren't 'somebody' whatever that is they have the same struggles in NYC and in Toronto.. If one prefers to live in NYC to Toronto well that Is understandable but that is not Toronto's problem either - it is the person who is living in a place they'd rather not be...

Calling people and calling me a nobody is just rude and immature and speaks to your own maturity level.. You say no offense but you just said something personal, rude and offensive by calling me a nobody.. My point to you is that you are too hard on most people but I think what drives it is that you are too hard ESPECIALLY on yourself, with these high expectations that you most likely will not be able to achieve thus you resort to angry and offensive outbursts at others because you are frustrated..

Man I wish you luck but seriously - calling someone a nobody simply because they live and enjoy Toronto is just not justified and speaks more to your frame of mind than mine. What I will do is continue to work hard and travel and see as many places in the world as I can while I have time on this earth. I'll leave juvenile judgements from others with a rather questionable sense of what is important in life to rest where it belongs - in their own imagination and frustration with their own life.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Well everyone has their own 'likes' about any place.. TBH - if I had the time i'd rather be in Bangkok, Istanbul, Mexico City, London before I'd want to hang my hat in NYC. Obviously NYC is a larger and more important city, more vibrant and urban than Toronto (as it is over any other Canamerican city) - not once did I question that.. All I said and its very simple, for most people who aren't 'somebody' whatever that is they have the same struggles in NYC and in Toronto.. If one prefers to live in NYC to Toronto well that Is understandable but that is not Toronto's problem either - it is the person who is living in a place they'd rather not be...

Calling people and calling me a nobody is just rude and immature and speaks to your own maturity level.. You say no offense but you just said something personal, rude and offensive by calling me a nobody.. My point to you is that you are too hard on most people but I think what drives it is that you are too hard ESPECIALLY on yourself, with these high expectations that you most likely will not be able to achieve thus you resort to angry and offensive outbursts at others..

Man I wish you luck but seriously - calling someone a nobody simply because they live and enjoy Toronto is just not justified and speaks more to your frame of mind than mine. What I will do is continue to work hard and travel and see as many places in the world as I can while I have time on this earth. I'll leave juvenile judgements from others with a rather questionable sense of what is important in life to rest where it belongs - in their own imagination and frustration with their own life.
The entitlement is strong with you unless you've done something noteworthy. Not just upper middle class worker who earns 6 figures. I think you are a nobody. A regular gay person who thinks to highly of themselves. I get it. Toronto makes your gay self feel special. I am frustrated with this city I make it obvious. I can move but u would have to abandon my wife and kids and Id much rather complain on a message board than to start all over in a new city. Most people are nobodies. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
The entitlement is strong with you unless you've done something noteworthy. Not just upper middle class worker who earns 6 figures. I think you are a nobody. A regular gay person who thinks to highly of themselves. I get it. Toronto makes your gay self feel special. I am frustrated with this city I make it obvious. I can move but u would have to abandon my wife and kids and Id much rather complain on a message board than to start all over in a new city. Most people are nobodies. Nothing wrong with that.
Entitlement - what entitlement - aside from being unnecessarily rude, combative and obviously frustrated this comes across as clueless to boot... I have no entitlement.. I work hard and enjoy my life and do what I want.. How the heck is that a sense of entitlement? As for being gay what does that have to do with anything - it makes my gay self feel special living in Toronto- wtf are you smoking dude lol....?

Anyway you're frustrated with this city yet you have a wife and kids - what is frustrating about that? Most anti-social knobs in here complain they can't get a woman - I got to hand it to you at least you have a wife and kids - ya got your woman and you know what - I wonder what your wife and kids would think that you think you're a nobody and SO frustrated with life calling people on a message board a nobody simply because they live in the same place as you and your family do.. Most men in a meaningful relationship with a wife and kids think they are the biggest SOMEBODY in the world and are damned happy about life. I bet Phillip Seymour Hoffman thought he was a somebody too - look where he is.

Complain on a message board - that about sums things up!

Old 09-21-2015, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Entitlement - what entitlement - aside from being this comes across as clueless... I have no entitlement.. I work hard and enjoy my life and do what I want.. How the heck is that a sense of entitlement? As for being gay what does that have to do with anything - it makes my gay self feel special living in Toronto- wtf are you smoking dude lol....?

Anyway you're frustrated with this city yet you have a wife and kids - what is frustrating about that? Most antisocial knobs in here complain they can't get a woman - I got to hand it to you at least you have a wife and kids and you know what - I wonder what your wife and kids would think that you think you're a nobody and SO frustrated with life.. Most men in a meaningful relationship with a wife and kids think they are the biggest SOMEBODY in the world and are damned happy about life.

Complain on a message board - that about sums things up!
Obviously I am not clueless to what I am doing. And my wife and kids make this place livable for me. If it wasn't for them I would leave. But I am financially secure here and I can't say that if I up and leave for another city with no contract signed yet. I want more but I am content with a nice condo and a great wife +kids.

And my family knows I am a nobody to the world. Obviously I know I m the world to them. The simple things keep you going.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Obviously I am not clueless to what I am doing. And my wife and kids make this place livable for me. If it wasn't for them I would leave. But I am financially secure here and I can't say that if I up and leave for another city with no contract signed yet.

And my family knows I am a nobody to the worleft. Obviously I know I m the world to them. The simple things keep you going.
Family and friends makes anywhere home - THAT is what is important - EVERYTHING else is simply a backdrop.. The fact you are financially secure means you have found what most people in the WORLD want - a stable, safe, secure place where they can happily live life with their partner and family/kids and make a good living.. Perhaps that is a nobody to you but I call that a somebody and there are plenty of Somebodies including living in NYC, London, Tokyo, Dubai etc who don't have those things. Consider yourself blessed and lucky and appreciate every moment because it could be lost in an instant and than you'll really feel like a nobody - even in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto