Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2020, 10:54 PM

28 posts, read 12,155 times

Advertisements

Hi
Has anybody ever bought a truck and sold it after the move instead of renting?
Seems like a good idea if you are able to sell. You would recover the money, provided all goes well.
I'll be moving from Vancovuer to New Brunswick
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2020, 07:18 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,454,397 times
If I was going to drive from BC to NB, I for sure would not buy a truck. Rent a truck from Hertz, or Penski NOT U Haul. The reasons why...…..Newer ( usually 5 years or less since new ) road service if it breaks down, commercial insurance, and the real biggie......You are not tying up thousands of YOUR money in a untested USED vehicle.

Lets play along with your idea of buying a used truck. You have to FIND one that is mechanically sound, and buy it ( either with cash or a bank loan ) then have it tested to pass the Provincial safety inspection. If you are buying it in BC, you MUST buy insurance from BCIC and for a commercially registered truck, that's going to be expensive. NOW you have to load it carefully, and drive it to the east coast, about 6,000 kilometers. The chances of it breaking down are about 3 out of 10. If it does break down, guess who gets to pay to have it towed ? A fully loaded commercial sized truck that is immobile ...Towing starts at about $ 300, just to hook up to it, and about $3 a mile to tow it to a garage that can repair it. Now you have to sit and wait for it to be fixed. All of that is coming out of your pocket.

A rental truck contract includes road side services, such as towing, to a facility that the rental company has a agreement with, to repair THEIR truck. Remember that they own it, so repairs are on them, not you. If the repairs are going to take days, especially if waiting for parts to be shipped to Blind River. Ontario, you maybe able to get the rental company to send out a empty truck, to replace the one that is broken down. You would have to repack your stuff ( hire a couple of locals to help you ) and get on the way east.

My experience stems from operating my own towing company, based on the Trans Canada highway, in Northern Ontario. I had towing contracts with Hertz, Penski, National, and U Haul. The U Haul fleet is most likely to break down ( poor maintenance by local franchise owners ) and their fleet is older than the other ones
If it were me I would go with a rental, but not U Haul.

Old 03-13-2020, 11:57 AM

thanks for that. It's really good to hear from a pro. I;m looking at truck rentals now, and Penske doesn't offer one way rentals in Canada. SO that's out.

Old 03-13-2020, 11:59 AM

For Hertz, the biggest truck/commercial is a Ford Transit van, which is not a truck. No trucks at Hertz.

Old 03-13-2020, 12:05 PM

national too, doens't seem to have moving truck. Uhaul is the only option.

Old 03-14-2020, 07:28 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,454,397 times
Onenewman.

Please read this Hertz Canada website. Scroll down to the commercial truck rental section. They have units from 14 foot cube vans to 26 foot 5 tons, with hydraulic brakes, that do not require a commercial license to drive.

link. https://www.hertz.ca/rentacar/productservice/index.jsp?targetPage=truck_van_rental.jsp

Old 03-14-2020, 09:41 AM

link. https://www.hertz.ca/rentacar/produc...van_rental.jsp

Sorry, I misspoke. At Hertz, they have trucks, but no option of renting one way. You can rent one way in the US, but when you enter a Canadian address, the one way option disappears, and you can only "return to the same location". Which would be crazy to drive the truck back to Vancouver from NB after moving.

Old 03-14-2020, 10:14 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,053,026 times
Personally I'd hire a moving company to do the job for me.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto