Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2016, 09:38 PM

97 posts, read 90,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
I heard somewhere Ottawa is the largest city in Canada by land area. I'm not sure if it's true or not.
The biggest I know of is one called Timmins, which is probably short for timberland .. the municipality itself stretches for hundreds of miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 10:05 PM

97 posts, read 90,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
even if the housing bubble explodes Toronto is too important in Canada for it to fail to the degree of a city like Chicago.
Quote:
the consistent thing about Toronto will be it will continue to be the immigration magnet for a country
Once the bubble bursts, I doubt this country's queen city's dirty secret, as revealed in the following televised documentary, will not a/effect either the rest of the country or the foreign newscomers who now dominate said burg's composition, especially since no follow-up revealing any favourable outcome exists:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMtjf0rYlQ4

..although I myself do hope it altogether be more a Canadian problem than a Canadien one .. wouldn`t you?

Old 10-05-2016, 07:22 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
The biggest I know of is one called Timmins, which is probably short for timberland .. the municipality itself stretches for hundreds of miles.

I think you're right. The city limits were made huge apparently so that mining revenues (it's a big mining area) could be counted as being collected within the city limits.

When you enter Timmins city limits, there is a sign that says something like "Welcome to Timmins - City Centre 50 km".

There is a place in Queensland, Australia called Mount Isa that is even bigger than Timmins, and may be the biggest city in the world in terms of area. It's got a similar economic profile to Timmins. Well, maybe not forestry. But lots of mining...

Old 10-05-2016, 08:04 AM

9,981 posts, read 5,684,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
True, but the author is a Torontonian. So it is, in essence, a Torontonian humblebragging about how his city. So it's still horn blowing.

Also, Toronto is indeed bigger than Chicago now (and has been for a few years), but Toronto moved quickly up the rankings due to a city-suburb consolidation. One of Illinois' biggest challenges today is the number of municipalities. In fact, Illinois has the most city jurisdictions of any state in the U.S. So the state government has led a big push towards municipal consolidation. I wouldn't be shocked if in 25 years, Chicago merges with Cook County to create a city of 5.2 million.

DuPage County, a county of 930,000 people, adjacent to Cook County, now has the power to unilaterally dissolve any and all local governments within its territory: State says DuPage County's consolidation efforts are model for others - Chicago Tribune. And the state is pushing for that power to be given to all counties.
First, there is no way in hell the vast majority of the Cook County municipalities will allow themselves to be subsumed into the hopelessly corrupt and dysfunctional mess that is Chicago, especially if that also means the disillusion of the suburban school districts. There are some south suburbs in such bad shape that being annexed into Chicago would be better than the status quo, but places like Schaumburg, Park Ridge, Arlington Heights, Glencoe, Winnetka, and lots of others, will have nothing to do with it.

Second, I think you misunderstand DuPage County's dissolution power. Municipalities are chartered by the state, so counties have no standing to dissolve them. DuPage County's dissolution power can be used to dissolve or consolidate county agencies and taxing districts chartered at the county level, such as the Century Hill Lighting District that was created to manage the street lights of a single subdivision in Naperville.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:04 AM

909 posts, read 1,153,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think you're right. The city limits were made huge apparently so that mining revenues (it's a big mining area) could be counted as being collected within the city limits.

When you enter Timmins city limits, there is a sign that says something like "Welcome to Timmins - City Centre 50 km".
Yeah but I think the actual density and the actual "city" part within the land area is more important than just where the city limits are placed.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:22 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
Yeah but I think the actual density and the actual "city" part within the land area is more important than just where the city limits are placed.
Of course. If you look at Timmins on Google Earth the actual built city is a tiny speck amidst a huge forest that makes up the rest of the city's land area.

Old 10-06-2016, 03:45 PM

5,899 posts, read 6,104,862 times
Quote:

There is a place in Queensland, Australia called Mount Isa that is even bigger than Timmins, and may be the biggest city in the world in terms of area. It's got a similar economic profile to Timmins. Well, maybe not forestry. But lots of mining...
The situation with Milton and Halton Hills is also a little weird. Heading east on the 401, the sign for "Milton - pop 100,000" is way up on the Niagara Escarpment, which is not too bad since the city limits do begin somewhere up there...
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.47858...7i13312!8i6656

... except that the sign for Halton Hills further east shows up just as you're finally reaching the built up part of Milton
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.52107...7i13312!8i6656

Old 10-10-2016, 06:57 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,821,788 times
Quote:

The largest city I know of outside of Chongqing municipality is Sitka, Alaska at 2,870.3 square miles.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:27 PM

93 posts, read 96,479 times
Quote:
Toronto in no way has the inequality on the level of what is the S.F Bay area. Not even close. The good thing is that rent here is still affordable by large city standards. Don't mix up housing with just detached homes! Housing encompasses those but also condo's and apartment buildings.

Toronto is ranked 14 in the world for most highrises (Almost double that of Chicago).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rise_buildings

Do you know why? It has thousands of high rise rental apartment buildings so while yes - buying a detached house in Toronto is prohibitively expensive - condo's and even more so apartment rental buildings not so much. Those are the affordability equalizers that Toronto benefits from to probably a greater degree than any large Canamerican city.
Chicago's High-rise/Skyscraper living is pretty high-end. Low-rise infill Condo's/apt's also are spreading with gentrification od the cities oldest neighborhoods. Its Bungalow belt to 50s early 60s neighborhoods remain intact outside of the gangland areas of high crime. Chicago as NYC were basically the 2 American cities that even embraced High-rise to skyscraper living in the States. Now Miami has and other cities but still even new sunbelt cities are still not booming in high-rise living.
Quote:
That Is why even if the housing bubble explodes Toronto is too important in Canada for it to fail to the degree of a city like Chicago. Its been growing consistently for the last 60 years and in some ways its simply rigged in the country to be that way as its the primate city regardless of the housing market. Trust me, in 10, 20, 30, 40 years from now Toronto will still be the largest city in Canada - will be larger than Chicago even in spite of your silly metro measures that inflate them to the size of countries and will have R.E ups and downs - but the consistent thing about Toronto will be it will continue to be the immigration magnet for a country and will continue to be the primate city of the country to a degree not even NYC is in the U.S relationally speaking.
I'm sorry you got so angry at another's postings. I in no way want to be seen as rude in my reply here. Some still feel Chicago to go into bankruptcy (not allowed by state law there). It too is also too important to have a Bubble burst from its pension debt.
It's fine to defend Toronto over Chicago. But no one knows the future and inferring Chicago's future is stagnation is more a city in transition. Professionals and still office buildings going up downtown. But losing over 170,000 of its Black population per the US census and still continuing and sadly some of its middle-class. It shows NO SIGNS of decline in restoring and still a prosperous Core and booming downtown despite its issues and in the US a SCOURGE of being a Midwestern and seen as a terrible winter city. Is something Toronto does not have as it is almost as Southern a Canadian city can get with Vancouver.

Chicago's placement in the Northern US is what hurts its growth worst as the booming Sunbelt cities and Pacific Northwest cities with milder climates gain those sick of winters and aspects of more work opportunities there. Chicago also has to rely FAR MORE on its own Investment in itself. Not as Toronto gets all its World's wealthy investing for quick profits that Torontonians are happy to boast of in its high-rise living boom.
Hopefully quality and building issues do not create a future concern that already has come to light as in a VIDEO that has Canadian officials admitting is a problem. I won't bother re-posting it here.

I do not think anyone sees Toronto imploding. But a slowdown is possible. As boom periods generally always end if a glut occurs or a nation experiences a recession.
But I do think its time for the TORONTO FORUM to do vs. Threads against Asian cities with high density high-rise living as Toronto, instead of the States already. As most see Toronto surpassed every US major city but NYC and LA.

You definitely (and others) see Toronto has surpassed Chicago in more then city limit population. BUT IN STATURE TOO? So this thread is kind of OUTDATED DRIVEL to further debate it at least on the Canada forums. Especially reading through some past Chi vs. Tor city vs. city forums.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:32 PM

7 posts, read 8,007 times
Default Kudos

Quote:
Toronto surpassed Chicago in City Proper population over 3 years ago. The difference now would be even more great - probably 2.9 million for Toronto vs 2.7 million for Chicago. Of course - Chicago anchors a larger if somewhat more sprawly metropolitan area. No doubt though, Toronto as a city and metropolitan area is growing considerably faster than Chicago.

The Guardian is a British publication for all those who may think this is Canadian horn blowing.
Toronto just going fine, marching ahead on all aspects, Kudos!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto