Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 11:27 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,730,901 times

Advertisements

As I am prone to mischief I can't help but stumble across some really jarring situation in this city. Or at least situations that seems new to me.

I am really realizing more and more Toronto have so many different layers which I want to explore more and more of in 2017.

So here is the deal... you run in to a situation that you think is strange, new to you ... or interesting in the city add to the thread. No topic really needs to be off limits as long as it relates to Toronto.

I will start ....

I was boredom shopping on an online re-sale website and just out of curiousity ( yeah ... I know curiosity killed the cat ) and I decided to check out the personal's section. So after reading ad after ad I sort of noticed WOW ... there are a lot of married people in this city actively looking for some to have an affair with and people are like crazy forward about what they are looking for ? I got to laugh... but was I taking a nap when this became the new norm ? On another note ... I had a really REALLY good laugh reading these things and I am really REALLY wondering if a good chunk of them where jokes/ pranks. I am not single ... but if this is what single people have to filter through when trying to meet someone now ... I think I might just stay married !

Anyone want to comment on their experiencing reading these things? Do you think they are legitimate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 12:28 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,571,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
As I am prone to mischief I can't help but stumble across some really jarring situation in this city. Or at least situations that seems new to me.

I am really realizing more and more Toronto have so many different layers which I want to explore more and more of in 2017.

So here is the deal... you run in to a situation that you think is strange, new to you ... or interesting in the city add to the thread. No topic really needs to be off limits as long as it relates to Toronto.

I will start ....

I was boredom shopping on an online re-sale website and just out of curiousity ( yeah ... I know curiosity killed the cat ) and I decided to check out the personal's section. So after reading ad after ad I sort of noticed WOW ... there are a lot of married people in this city actively looking for some to have an affair with and people are like crazy forward about what they are looking for ? I got to laugh... but was I taking a nap when this became the new norm ? On another note ... I had a really REALLY good laugh reading these things and I am really REALLY wondering if a good chunk of them where jokes/ pranks. I am not single ... but if this is what single people have to filter through when trying to meet someone now ... I think I might just stay married !

Anyone want to comment on their experiencing reading these things? Do you think they are legitimate?
Well the first thing I would do is delete your internet browsing history before your partner starts asking too many questions!

Old 12-28-2016, 12:33 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,243,294 times
That infamous Ashley Madison website that helps married people cheat on their spouses is based in Toronto.

Old 12-28-2016, 01:36 PM

Default Lol.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Well the first thing I would do is delete your internet browsing history before your partner starts asking too many questions!
I know lol. I think by now my husband has given up on checking up on me... he just can't keep up with my antics.

Old 12-28-2016, 01:51 PM

Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
That infamous Ashley Madison website that helps married people cheat on their spouses is based in Toronto.
Yup. Now I get why the site was so successful. I can't believe that this stuff is as common as it appears to be. Most of these ads are crazy direct ex I have my mornings free and am looking for a woman to meet up with to have a descrete affair. Some people are looking for someone for fetish stuff. One guy just wants to be able to fondle ... I dont know . It just seems odd to me. I guess being direct is at least honest ... but I almost feel like I want to get inside the head of some of these people to get an idea of what motivates/ inspires them to want to do this? One guy is looking for a lonely Italian House wife lol. Another a white BBW who would be cool with being dominated by a black man .. though the add said he was white lol?

I am almost tempted to created by own ad to see who response ( yes I KNOW ... this would be bad... but how bad could it really be ) Ex restless mischief bratt in her 30s looking for man to buy ( or lease) her a red porsche in exchange for company. Then again I would probably feel really sad if someone actually replied. Some of those men just seem pretty gross... but I can't imagine being lonely enough to pay for company? I totally would consider the idea of paying for certain people to leave me alone .

Regardless in all fairness I only read the men looking for women one and not the women looking for men or men looking for men or women looking for women one.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:50 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,413,646 times
I thought this thread was about the c+c music factory.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:12 AM

Default Lol....

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I thought this thread was about the c+c music factory.
I actually had that song in my head when I came up with the thread title lol.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:51 AM

3,627 posts, read 3,416,108 times
One of the things that always made me go "hmmm" when I lived in Toronto was street naming. Why? Because streets seem to change names for no reason:

-- Carlton and College Streets are the same road. (And the streetcar known as "the Carlton car" travels only a few blocks distance on Carlton; it also travels on Parliament, Gerrard, Main, College, and Dundas.)

-- University Avenue becomes Queen's Park Circle, then becomes Avenue Road. (Avenue Road always puzzled me; it's like naming a thoroughfare, "Street Drive.")

-- Duplex Avenue starts at Chaplin Crescent, travels north to become Jedburgh Road at Lawrence, then becomes Ridley Boulevard for no apparent reason some blocks north of that. Then, when you get to around the old North York border, you have to travel on Yonge Boulevard (yes, that's boulevard, not street) if you want to go north on Ridley.

Also, did you ever notice how (unlike the rest of the subway system) the stations on the University line are named after landmarks, rather than streets? Further north, we have St. Clair West station, and Eglinton West and Lawrence West. But there is no King West; it is St. Andrew (named after a large church on King Street), or Osgoode (for Osgoode Hall on Queen Street), or Queen's Park (at College Street), and Museum (for the ROM, just a little ways north of Wellesley). St. Patrick for Dundas is inexplicable, except perhaps as a reminder of the very old city's five wards (St. Patrick, St. George, St. Andrew, St. Clair, and St. Lawrence; for more on Toronto's five wards, see here). The link tells me that an old "St. Patrick Street" was incorporated into today's Dundas Street, but no longer exists. Regardless, the subway station is indeed located in the old St. Patrick ward.

This could be a fun thread for us Toronto historians!

Old 12-29-2016, 10:31 AM

Default Lol ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
One of the things that always made me go "hmmm" when I lived in Toronto was street naming. Why? Because streets seem to change names for no reason:

-- Carlton and College Streets are the same road. (And the streetcar known as "the Carlton car" travels only a few blocks distance on Carlton; it also travels on Parliament, Gerrard, Main, College, and Dundas.)

-- University Avenue becomes Queen's Park Circle, then becomes Avenue Road. (Avenue Road always puzzled me; it's like naming a thoroughfare, "Street Drive.")

-- Duplex Avenue starts at Chaplin Crescent, travels north to become Jedburgh Road at Lawrence, then becomes Ridley Boulevard for no apparent reason some blocks north of that. Then, when you get to around the old North York border, you have to travel on Yonge Boulevard (yes, that's boulevard, not street) if you want to go north on Ridley.

Also, did you ever notice how (unlike the rest of the subway system) the stations on the University line are named after landmarks, rather than streets? Further north, we have St. Clair West station, and Eglinton West and Lawrence West. But there is no King West; it is St. Andrew (named after a large church on King Street), or Osgoode (for Osgoode Hall on Queen Street), or Queen's Park (at College Street), and Museum (for the ROM, just a little ways north of Wellesley). St. Patrick for Dundas is inexplicable, except perhaps as a reminder of the very old city's five wards (St. Patrick, St. George, St. Andrew, St. Clair, and St. Lawrence; for more on Toronto's five wards, see here). The link tells me that an old "St. Patrick Street" was incorporated into today's Dundas Street, but no longer exists. Regardless, the subway station is indeed located in the old St. Patrick ward.

This could be a fun thread for us Toronto historians!
Very true. When roaming around downtown I never really thought about it.. but the whole university bloor south seems oddly names ex I sort of want to know where I am vs. what possible landmark is in the area. The Young Line is a lot more straight forward.

In fact that whole area around Univeristy near all the hospital and the University of Toronto Main Campus confuses the heck out of me... I just walk until I seem a street I know and continue on.

On another note Toronto could never be as confusing as London England... I was in tears trying to find places when looking for jobs there... it took me a long while to realize it is pretty common there for the same straight street to change names every block or so.

There are so many street in the city I walk pass on a regular basis and don't know the name of. I almost wish I did live down town... but I can't afford a big lot and don't wont to sacrifice the land space.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:48 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,571,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Very true. When roaming around downtown I never really thought about it.. but the whole university bloor south seems oddly names ex I sort of want to know where I am vs. what possible landmark is in the area. The Young Line is a lot more straight forward.

In fact that whole area around Univeristy near all the hospital and the University of Toronto Main Campus confuses the heck out of me... I just walk until I seem a street I know and continue on.

On another note Toronto could never be as confusing as London England... I was in tears trying to find places when looking for jobs there... it took me a long while to realize it is pretty common there for the same straight street to change names every block or so.

There are so many street in the city I walk pass on a regular basis and don't know the name of. I almost wish I did live down town... but I can't afford a big lot and don't wont to sacrifice the land space.
Not just street name changes, but being very careful you've looked up the right one.

For instance if I wanted klmrocks road, I'd better realize there is going to be a klmrocks mews, a klmrocks street, a klkmrocks avenue, a klmrocks walk, a klmrocks place, a klmrocks square and on and on.

Not too mention that there could be 3 klmrocks road in various surroundings of London.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto