Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 09:20 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,939,614 times

Advertisements

Hey, my friends and I are renting a Prius for a 2 week cross country trip, going from Baltimore to Los Angeles and then back again. We decided on the a Prius because we reckon it might same us some money on gas because of the fuel efficiency, and because since its a rental we won't be responsible for maintenance or whatever.

Its suddenly crossed my mind however about the Prius's very liberal reputation, that its a car driven mostly by typical East Coast yuppies and liberal Democrats, especially those into trends and fads (fads like Obama, etc). We're nothing like that, and we'll be going through a lot of Middle America and the southern states. Are we going to be mistakened for the typical arrogant, pretentious East Coast liberal? I hope not because I'm nowhere near that kind of person. I am a patriotic conservative American from a blue collar family who voted for George Bush twice and also for McCain. I despise liberals actually since my grandfather escaped from communist China. My dream car, once I finish grad school and have the money will be either a large SUV like the Expedition, a Hummer, and/or a large Chevy pickup truck.

Maybe we should see if there are any McCain-Palin bumper stickers to be bought on Amazon, or maybe a Christian or Confederate bumper sticker...hmmm....

Anyways is it true that most people see the Prius as a very liberal car that people buy to show their political motivations such as tree huggers, showing oppostion to the war, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 09:30 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,793,468 times
I see it as a liberal car but at the same time I also see it as evil.

The fact that Toyota supplies $$ to Burma does not sit well with me.
I also hate that their workers are not unionized.

I'm a leftist (someone who is further to the left than a liberal) and I wouldn't buy a Prius.

I think hybrids are great but I'd much rather have an electric car.

http://www.nlcnet.org/admin/reports/...TOYOTA_web.pdf

Old 06-16-2010, 09:55 PM

269 posts, read 911,242 times
Seriously, you are renting a car for a 2 week trip and worried about what people you have never met and most likely will never see again might say about you as you drive by?

To answer your question, yes the Prius has a reputation as being a liberal/yuppie car. Other people do buy them but it's often used as a symbol of green living, liberal thoughts, etc. But should that change your mind about renting it for a trip?

Old 06-16-2010, 10:01 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,901,725 times
Anyone else here think that the Prius is one of the most retarded looking ugliest cars in history? Everytime I see one I have to stare at it because it looks so freaking wrong.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:09 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,872,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Its suddenly crossed my mind however about the Prius's very liberal reputation, that its a car driven mostly by typical East Coast yuppies and liberal Democrats, especially those into trends and fads (fads like Obama, etc). We're nothing like that, and we'll be going through a lot of Middle America and the southern states. Are we going to be mistakened for the typical arrogant, pretentious East Coast liberal? I hope not because I'm nowhere near that kind of person. I am a patriotic conservative American from a blue collar family who voted for George Bush twice and also for McCain. I despise liberals actually since my grandfather escaped from communist China. My dream car, once I finish grad school and have the money will be either a large SUV like the Expedition, a Hummer, and/or a large Chevy pickup truck.
This is one of the most unpleasant, smug, passive-aggressive things I've read in quite some time.

You must have quite some time till you finish grad school if you think that Marxism and American Liberalism are the same thing.

I'd ask you if you're proud of yourself, but I'm pretty sure I already know the answer.

I'm most certainly liberal, and I don't "despise" conservatives. This would be a phenomenally stupid thing as "conservatives" is a blanket for millions of my countrymen who I probably have a fair deal in common with. Patriotism is founded in not just pride in your country, but a sense of oneness with your countrymen. I am VERY proud of my blue-collar, working class family. I am very proud of my (liberal) father, who is career military, and despite opposition to our involvement in Iraq, went there for a tour because his number came up and came back with a bronze star. I am also proud of my (apolitical) cousin Brandon, who was killed over there.

I also find pride in myself in that, while I certainly find your viewpoints sadly narrow and myopic, I am not driven to such ignorance and spite that I will tell you that I find you "despicable." I feel sorry for you.

Quote:
Anyways is it true that most people see the Prius as a very liberal car that people buy to show their political motivations such as tree huggers, showing oppostion to the war, etc.
See, that's the thing: you already know the answer to this, or you wouldn't be asking. YES, the general stereotype of a Prius owner is a liberal. You're just using this "question" as an excuse to be unpleasant.

It's quite easy to rent a Chevy Silverado or a Ford Explorer, and I'm sure you could find a place that rents Expeditions or H2's as well. Why don't you go do that, and brag about how much money you've spent on gas, supporting big oil companies? I'm sure that people will really care a lot!

Old 06-16-2010, 10:10 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,872,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
Anyone else here think that the Prius is one of the most retarded looking ugliest cars in history? Everytime I see one I have to stare at it because it looks so freaking wrong.
It's no Pontiac Aztek, but it won't win any beauty contests.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:12 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,939,614 times
Honestly I do happen to be image conscious, especially about certain things. Another is that I will never be caught dead in a North Face jacket or in Abercrombie clothes. I personally just don't like being mistakened for being a liberal or a yuppie as I have negative associations with these terms. Also since I'm of Asian descent, in a time where so many immigrants and kids of immigrants embarass themselves like those illegal Mexican kids who were upset by the American flag shirts in California I kinda want to give out the image of the minority who is also very "American".

Its also about just being out of place, like sticking out like a sore thumb visitng a small town where we're trying to have an authentic American experience. Like I imagine a Prius will be VERY out of place in Checotah, Oklahoma or Ellsworth, Kansas or Johnson City, Tennessee. I live in Baltimore and there are very few of those here. I've also personally always disliked liberal yuppie types so I don't want people to think I'm one of them. Again maybe we can spend a few bucks on a McCain bumper sticker. I actaully have one on my real car (though its a decal) that I refuse to take down since I don't accept Obama as my president and have no respect for him.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:17 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,705,265 times
I feel it's a typical liberal vehicle but I wouldn't worry about driving it for two weeks, it isn't the prettiest vehicle but will save you some cash when you have to fill it up. Nothing I'd ever want to own though.

Stereotypical Liberal vehicles:
Toyota Corolla
Toyota Prius
SmartCar
Honda Civic
Mini Cooper
Volkswagen Jetta

Stereotypical Conservative vehicles:
Cadillac Escalade
Ford F Series
Chevy Silverado
Dodge Ram
Ford Expedition
Chevy Suburban
Cadillac DTS
Hummer H2

Obviously there are exceptions to the rule but I don't think many hard-core Liberals will be driving a Hummer anytime soon nor will any diehard Conservatives be in a Prius.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:26 PM

20,349 posts, read 19,941,445 times
The only one I know personally who has a Prius is somewhat conservative.

He bought it to save on gas (long commute) and take advatage of the income tax credit that was available.

To him, like many others, a car is just an appliance, a means of conveyance.

Not to me, however.

Last edited by doc1; 06-16-2010 at 10:55 PM..

Old 06-16-2010, 10:28 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,625,566 times
Nevermind the car you're renting. just from the fact that you are Asian you're going to stick out like a sore thumb in small towns in the Midwest or the South, especially if the friends you're traveling cross-country with are too. That's just reality, but lots of smiles & thank-you's will open doors no matter where you are. Have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion