Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 12:59 PM

95 posts, read 289,926 times

Advertisements

Hi folks been doing a lot of research on all kinds of stuff
ok here it goes let us know if we missed something which we know we did, ty

We are looking at the Toyota Tundra 4.6 8cyl with the tow package (Price is the major consideration over the 5.7.) The curb weight is 5385# and we would add in 1315# for the tow package/hitch, 500# for us and cargo totaling 6450lbs.

We have our eye on a 29ft trailer dry weight is 4527 We have done calculations for other stuff e.g propane tanks, personal effects and the total comes to just under 5000lbs.

Our usage would be round trip towing from New Hampshire to Florida (1500 miles 1 way). The rest of time it would be parked in a camp ground (NH) or driveway (FL). We’re also planning 3 – 4 occasional short distance trips (600 miles roundtrip) per year from either location
Thanks in advance for your helpk
:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 01:02 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
Is there a question in there? or are those just statements?

The truck should handle the trailer no problem.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:31 PM

Default Just looking for some help on evaluating towing capacity numbers

I wanted to relay the information I discovered but this our first time buying a truck that will tow. The Tundra has good reviews. I was hoping that we could do it with the 4.6 instead of having to jump to 5.7 litre V8. I wanted to give others who might know about the Tundra the information and how we would use it to get feedback.
Getting tow capacity is not looking on the Toyota website it's a lot of calculations so was hoping someone with Tundra experience or towing capacity calculations would be able to help, ty

Old 05-06-2012, 01:36 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
2010 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4.6 Road Test

When equipped with that tow package, the 2010 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4.6 has a maximum tow rating of 8,300 pounds. That was well above our needs for this test, which consisted of lugging a 5,000-pound car trailer 1,200 miles. The 4.6 took it all in stride, with plenty of surplus power for passing and pulling grades thanks to ample torque, spread across a broad engine speed range. Indeed, it's very reminiscent of the colossally strong 5.7's power delivery, only dialed back a couple of notches. If your routine towing is in this five-grand range, we'd strongly consider saving some money and going with the 4.6.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:55 PM

Default Ty Me007 but I got more info for you

Hi Me007, I really liked your response..simple..do you know where you saw that, I have CR. ok so here's one for you ..I have to laugh these things are so nuts...but you seem to know vehicles well..ok I just got this response for a board on trailer questions...Are you ready Me007..after I read this I went and took a couple of Pepcids
"200 lbs for personal effects is really under estimating it. Most people tend to pack about 1000-1500 lbs into their trailer. Clothes, dishes, linens, chairs etc really do add up fast. So you are really looking at closer to at least 6000 lbs loaded. You then want to look at about 13-15% of the loaded weight for hitch weight (about 900 lbs if weight is 6000 lbs). Look at the sticker inside the door of the tundra you are looking at. What is the listed available payload (or weight cargo and occupants should not exceed)? You then subtract your 500 lbs for cargo and you plus the 900 lbs of tongue weight from the number in the door. Are you still in a positive #? Also, what is the GCWR of the tundra you are looking at? Subtract the loaded weight of the tundra from that and it will give you your adjusted towing capacity. (ie loaded weight of both tundra and trailer need to be less than GCWR and tongue weight needs to be less than available payload). Hope this helps you some. For what its worth, the newer tundras have a pretty good rep for towing but that is the larger engines

Old 05-06-2012, 03:52 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
I'll disagree with the crowd here. I disagree because you have stated all you are going to use it for is towing. You're going to learn to hate that 4.8. You're asking a lot from the drive train for a near 100% towing environment. The 4.8 comes with a 4.10 rear axle with the tow package, the 5.7 comes with the much needed 4.30 axle. I'll also disagree with your load calcs. If you think all you're going to put in that trailer is 450lbs, you've obviously never owned one. Just tools alone can make that much. Tools for things like the leveling jacks, wood blocks for the jacks, coolers, chains, electrical cords, hoses for water hookups, pressure regulator, etc. will eat all of your 450lbs. You'll be a lot closer to 6000lbs behind the truck. And that's loaded light. For a long haul in a primitive area, you can add another 1000lbs quick. I'd look at the max load the trailer can carry and expect to be on it or slightly over it. Most folks going down the hiway are over it....by a lot. The 5.7 is going to do the job much easier for it and you. It will most likely get better fuel mileage as it's not having to work as hard and will live a lot longer life.
Before buying that Tundra I'd suggest you check out the maintenance schedule and especially the requirements. The Tundra is expensive to maintain versus others. You won't get the oil changed for $19.95 for an example.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:58 PM

Default Very Good Feedback

Trapper ty, I'm glad you disagreed with the crowd you provide some very
valuable information. And you know I had hoped I could get by with the 4.6V8 and it is about the $$ but I know about penny wise and pound foolish. So thanks it's looking like you said and others have said this we need to go with the 5.6 V8 Tundra. I don't want to make a mistake....And you know and others that it's terrible but it's a reality that the Towing Capacity in Most Trucks is wrong, I hear in 2013 that Manufacts have to correct that... I did read on reliable eval that the 5.6 V8 Tundra wtow pkg is listed on the brochure as 10k towing capacity..mm it's bunk the real towing capacity is 8300 lbs so thank you for your honesty, Kevin

Old 05-06-2012, 06:00 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
5th wheels are scary to me, I would rather have a regular motorhome, more stable.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:46 PM

Default This Is not 5th Wheel

Ok I get you and I agree...however the Travel Trailer is a Slingshot travel trailer 29'11" lets call it 30ft...Yep not a 5th wheell but ty

Old 05-06-2012, 07:30 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Buy the 5.7... You will appreciate the extra power if you ever ungrade the trailer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion