Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2012, 09:20 PM

607 posts, read 2,367,642 times

Advertisements

Need help as I have to put new tires on soon. Who has experience on either of these tires and which way would you go? I am gertting about 65K miles on the current Michelins. Never tried the bridgestones. What price are people paying for these tires?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 05:59 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,413,404 times
I just pulled a set of Dueler A/Ts off my Toyota T100 (that I put on when I bought the truck). They were phenomenal tires when new, I couldn't find a road situation that phased them and they worked reasonably well in off-road work as well (I mean Real off-road). But the A/Ts took a chunk out of my fuel economy, were noisy, didn't last very long (45k), and became a challenge to drive with over the past 10~15k. Especially in the rain, they just wouldn't stay hooked up with the road.

I should mention, I'm nearly 40 and don't drive like a lunatic... I'm the guy you probably pass who's doing the speed limit.

No idea if the H/T tires have ANY of the same abilities as the A/Ts... but they were Expensive even when I bought them back in 2003 (I think I paid ~$800). I just put on Geolanders, but that was driven by price as they were absolutely the cheapest thing I could find that had positive reviews. Even those were ~$600 (mail order).

Have you checked reviews at Tire Rack? That's usually where I start looking when I need tires. Not the end-all, be-all site, but it's a good start.

Another tire to consider (in the same category) is the Rugged Terrain T/A by BFGoodrich. Substantially similar to the Michelins, ~$20/tire cheaper (which ought to Easily cover mounting and balancing).

Since you have a Toyota, you should take care to have the tires road-force balanced. Something about Toyota rims that are picky... this is the best tool for the job, you can see who has one locally:

Hunter GSP9700 Wheel vibration Control System solves wheel vibration and tire pull problems that balancers and aligners can't fix

Old 11-18-2012, 06:25 AM

707 posts, read 1,407,333 times
I've had Duelers /AT on my truck and they were ok at first but didn't really last that much, they were good in the rain and snow no complaints there. Michelins are great all around in the rain snow no problem but what I've experienced is they really last longer and I've never had any problem at all with the Michelins. Having bought both I would take Michelins even if they're more expensive.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:31 AM

17,280 posts, read 22,006,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elias9193 View Post
I've had Duelers /AT on my truck and they were ok at first but didn't really last that much, they were good in the rain and snow no complaints there. Michelins are great all around in the rain snow no problem but what I've experienced is they really last longer and I've never had any problem at all with the Michelins. Having bought both I would take Michelins even if they're more expensive.
+1..... Had both, will spend extra on the michelins

Old 11-18-2012, 09:48 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,886,868 times
I have the LTX M/S2 on my wife's Durango. Very happy with them. Hoping to get 70k out of them.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:41 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,218,555 times
Michelin. Always. No better tire for any application:

NASA

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion