Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 08:18 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,275,307 times

Advertisements

If I were any closer, Id offer to come by and replace the headbolts... Shouldnt take more than a days work. Ten bolts and some other stuff, very easy........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 08:59 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,902,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHavensFinest View Post
If I were any closer, Id offer to come by and replace the headbolts... Shouldnt take more than a days work. Ten bolts and some other stuff, very easy........
It's a minimum 24 hour job for the pros.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
It's not actually the bolts that go bad--it's the threads inside the head itself.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:14 PM

24 hours if the damage has been done. I thought you were talking preventive maintenance. Aside from re tapping/drilling bolt holes.... theres no reason it should take more than 8 hrs.

I read about the problem briefly. Its a small job if you dont need to redrill.

You would replace the bolts with studs. and never think about it again after that.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
24 hours if the damage has been done. I thought you were talking preventive maintenance. Aside from re tapping/drilling bolt holes.... theres no reason it should take more than 8 hrs.

I read about the problem briefly. Its a small job if you dont need to redrill.

You would replace the bolts with studs. and never think about it again after that.

Preventative maintenance for this problem does involve tapping/drilling bolt holes. That's where the problem is.

8 Hours to take everything apart.
8 Hours for tapping/drilling bolt holes the 10 head bolt threads inside the block
8 Hours to put everything back together.

+ Parts

Old 06-26-2013, 09:47 PM

No offense, but your timing just sounds wayyyy off.

Theres no way it will take ANY head that long to take off.

retapping will take some time.

reassembly should be quick and easy, the hard part would be torquing the head down in sequence.

Parts, you would need a re tapping set, I just spotted a specific Toyota kit designed for this purpose. A head gasket and head stubs or bolts.

Retapping isnt hard to do. It just takes time and you need to watch out for metal shavings.

You said yourself you arent mechanically inclined so I dont imagine you having a go at this. But if you know anyone that is involved with trade work, this is a simple process.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:22 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,225,391 times
Sorry to hear... however, I think 1st order of business would be to sell your current car.

I would get the car detailed. Not speaking from experience but I have heard of some extreme cases where people were able to get $2000 more on trade in due to a nice good detail. We all know that its the mechanical aspect of a car that should matter more, but the aesthetics of a car can also infer how the owner has maintained the car. Especially if you are going the private sales route, I like to think the exterior and interior condition of the car will have more of an influence on attracting buyers.

If you can invest about $150 and if you are a DIY'er, I would like to think at least 1 of 2 things would be possible... either more money and/or a quick sale.

If you would more info, feel free to PM me.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:41 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,593 times
Quote:
No offense, but your timing just sounds wayyyy off.
That's probably what a shop who wants to make money off of him told him.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
That's probably what a shop who wants to make money off of him told him.
No that's what people on Toyotanation are saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion