Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2014, 11:14 AM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,202,971 times

Advertisements

Hard, noisy vibration at idle, comes thru bottom of driver's door. Stops when driver's door is opened all the way. Not damaged from a car accident. Door is in perfect, like new condition. Transmission performs beautifully while driving. At first, when stopped and shifted to neutral or park, vibration stopped. No longer helps to take it out of drive when at a full stop, vibrates in all gears, with brakes applied.

This vibration doesn't appear to be coming from the engine, per se. The engine runs very smoothly.

Having done some research, the only thing that's come up is engine mounts. Engine mounts can get expensive, so don't want to focus on that when it's likely something different. BTW, car does not leak, ck engine light not on, and the engine and tranny are very smooth.

Any ideas what the source of this vibration could be? I'm taking it to dealership this Thursday. Would like to have some ideas so I can have knowledgeable discussion with service rep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 12:05 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,873,875 times
You need to take the weight off the mounts to check.

Set the parking brake and chock a front wheel.

Put a floor jack under the oil pan with a 2x4 block between the jack and pan, start the engine, then lift it a half inch or so. If the noise goes away you've found your problem.

You may have to do the same with the transmission.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:30 PM
'M'

Gimme3steps....Thanks! If this is the case, could you use the name of the problem/type of repair you're speaking of? If it's the transmisson...it would be called this: ______ .

Old 11-17-2014, 02:06 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times
'You need to take the weight off the mounts to check.'

He means to check the motor mounts. You will have to jack the transmission to check it's mount.

Back in the old days, you could tell if a motor mount was broke by opening the hood and looking at the motor. While in park have the engine running and have someone hit the gas hard to bring up the RPMs very quickly. The entire engine will actually lift up if the motor mounts are broken and not securing the engine to the subframe.
One of the coolest things I ever saw.

It could be a lot of things. Bad hub bearing, brake disc warped, steel band in tire broken, worn ball joints, wheel not balanced.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khQJE7em6f0

Old 11-17-2014, 06:09 PM
'M'

Thanks, CCc girl, Gimme3steps!! I think for the issues of bad hub bearing, brake disc warped, steel band in tire broken, worn ball joints, wheel not balanced, the car would need to be in motion to create these problems. My vibration occurs when the car is at a full stop, and idling.

Any other ideas?

Old 11-18-2014, 06:37 AM

It could be a broken exhaust pipe or hanger, or some other suspension mounting point. Time for the garage. I hope you have an independent shop.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:20 AM
'M'

CCcgirl ...and anyone else ....why an independent shop? I actually have much better work done at the dealership....in my experience.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:28 AM

If you like them and they treat you fairly the by all means go there!

Most people fear the dealer and automatically think they will get screwed.

Old 11-18-2014, 02:48 PM
'M'

All - my experience with Toyota dealerships has been good. Colorado tends to have some very reputable ones - have used Stevinson East and Pedersen in Fort Collins. I feel more comfy at the dealership than a repair shop. Historically, the quality of work and workmanship has been better.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:11 PM
'M'

Forgot to post that the problem was resolved for $600. It was the engine mounts. Car runs perfect now and ran great for nearly two years until it was rear-ended and totaled a few weeks ago. IMO, that was a good price and I'm so glad to find a repair shop that is good at diagnosing....Hotchkiss Auto Repair, Colfax and Oneida, Denver, CO. They are simply the best and most professional car repair service I've ever used. They are able to think outside the box. These folks will not do any work on a car unless there is an indication that the work is needed. If it isn't on the schedule for that car, and there are no problems, they will not replace something that doesn't need it. My potential new car is there now being inspected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion