Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 10:45 AM

276 posts, read 575,942 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I live in Los Angeles. I am in the market for a brand new 2015 Scion xB and I was trying to find a good deal on a 2015 xB during the various year end sales clearances going on. I also had heard that 2015 is the last year that the xB will be manufactured.

As I was shopping online to check out the exteriors and interiors of various 2015 xBs up for sale at various car dealers, I came across what appears to be a brand new 2015 xB listed as having 4 miles on it, however the online photos show that the mileage is actually 15 miles . . . so I’ll give them that, figuring somebody test drove it a few times before the dealer posted the ad online, however the vehicle has a Carfax report, which shows that there has not been anything reported wrong with the vehicle . . . however it marketed as $1,500 below the MSRP . . . which it “truly” is, since I had been researching this particular vehicle for 3 months now, and my visits to 3 various dealers in the past confirmed that the MSRP of $19,025 is accurate (for exact model and options I want).

I really would like to get this vehicle at the $1,500 below MSRP, since my local dealers are still only selling this vehicle at the MSRP. It may be normal for a brand new car to have a Carfax report, but I thought Carfax reports were only for used cars . . . yet I am just skeptical if I should buy this "particular" vehicle below the MSRP or if I should just pay the MSRP at my local dealer without having reservations that my nearby dealer's vehicle is brand new. Though I tried to buy this vehicle 2 months ago at a local dealer, however they would not go below the MSRP at that time.

I am just wondering about the xB with the $1,500 below MSRP. . . if something is wrong with it. Looking at the online photos of it, it looks brand new and it looks like there is no missing equipment. Yet rather than drive the 30 miles to look at the vehicle in person, I though I would ask the group FIRST to see what would you do and or what inspections would you make on the vehicle with the $1,500 below MSRP to see if it might be worth taking a chance on. Or maybe as long as this vehicle comes with a standard manufacturer's warranty, maybe that will be enough and I should not worry, and just be happy I saved $1,500 on my 2015 xB with 15 miles on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 11:08 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,101,008 times
I concur with your trepidations.

I don't claim to know everything but I've never heard of a Carfax report being associated with anything other than a preowned/used vehicle either.

My initial instincts are to walk away because it seems that all is not what it appears to be.

As the old saying goes, if it seems to be too good to be true........

The way I see it is you have two choices:

a) walk away and don't pursue it, or

b) do more research into whether or not the existence of a Carfax report on a new vehicle is normal and if it is then take advantage of the deal. If not, walk away.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:20 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,987,107 times
I'm wondering if the vehicle arrived at the dealership with something broke and the dealership fixed the issue which could have been reported to Carfax.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:06 PM

13,706 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user9430961 View Post
Hello,

I live in Los Angeles. I am in the market for a brand new 2015 Scion xB and I was trying to find a good deal on a 2015 xB during the various year end sales clearances going on. I also had heard that 2015 is the last year that the xB will be manufactured.

As I was shopping online to check out the exteriors and interiors of various 2015 xBs up for sale at various car dealers, I came across what appears to be a brand new 2015 xB listed as having 4 miles on it, however the online photos show that the mileage is actually 15 miles . . . so I’ll give them that, figuring somebody test drove it a few times before the dealer posted the ad online, however the vehicle has a Carfax report, which shows that there has not been anything reported wrong with the vehicle . . . however it marketed as $1,500 below the MSRP . . . which it “truly” is, since I had been researching this particular vehicle for 3 months now, and my visits to 3 various dealers in the past confirmed that the MSRP of $19,025 is accurate (for exact model and options I want).

I really would like to get this vehicle at the $1,500 below MSRP, since my local dealers are still only selling this vehicle at the MSRP. It may be normal for a brand new car to have a Carfax report, but I thought Carfax reports were only for used cars . . . yet I am just skeptical if I should buy this "particular" vehicle below the MSRP or if I should just pay the MSRP at my local dealer without having reservations that my nearby dealer's vehicle is brand new. Though I tried to buy this vehicle 2 months ago at a local dealer, however they would not go below the MSRP at that time.

I am just wondering about the xB with the $1,500 below MSRP. . . if something is wrong with it. Looking at the online photos of it, it looks brand new and it looks like there is no missing equipment. Yet rather than drive the 30 miles to look at the vehicle in person, I though I would ask the group FIRST to see what would you do and or what inspections would you make on the vehicle with the $1,500 below MSRP to see if it might be worth taking a chance on. Or maybe as long as this vehicle comes with a standard manufacturer's warranty, maybe that will be enough and I should not worry, and just be happy I saved $1,500 on my 2015 xB with 15 miles on it?
All Carfax does is farm data from a number of sources, collate it and report it. In many cases, the first entry on a car is "Listed in dealer inventory with 4 miles. (They come off the truck with 4 miles often as not.) You can run a Carfax on a brand new car, but people don't really bother because the car isn't going to have any demons. Some dealers might have the carfax for all of the vehicles on their lot as a favor to the dealer.

As to the price: Scion practices "True Pricing." Toyota Motor Company will not allow the stores to reduce the price, and they only make a concession if the car hasn't sold for a long time, at which time they dictate how much they can reduce the price. That might be why the price is lower, or it can be that Scion is offering a rebate.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:31 PM

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for the great feedback. Here is the information from the Carfax report (minus the vin. information and the direct dealer address and contact phone number).

Vehicle Information:
2015 TOYOTA SCION XB
VIN: XXXXXXXXXXXXX
4 DOOR WAGON/SPORT UTILITY
2.4L L4 FI DOHC 16V
FRONT WHEEL DRIVE
Standard Equipment | Safety Options

CARFAX Report Provided By:
Northridge Toyota
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Northridge, CA XXXXX

This is a new car. To help keep it well maintained, follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule.
No accident/damage reported
No accident / damage reported to CARFAX
Service information available
1 Service record available
Last reported odometer reading/mileage
4 Last reported odometer reading

Salvage | Junk | Rebuilt | Fire | Flood | Hail | Lemon Guaranteed
No Problem

Not Actual Mileage | Exceeds Mechanical Limits Guaranteed
No Problem

Total Loss
No total loss reported to CARFAX.

No Issues Reported
Structural Damage
No structural damage reported to CARFAX.

No Issues Reported
Airbag Deployment
No airbag deployment reported to CARFAX.

No Issues Reported
Odometer Check
No indication of an odometer rollback.

No Issues Indicated
Accident / Damage
No accidents or damage reported to CARFAX.

No Issues Reported
Manufacturer Recall
No open recalls reported to CARFAX. Check with an authorized Toyota dealer for any open recalls.

No Recalls Reported
Basic Warranty
Original warranty estimated to have 29 months or 35,996 miles remaining.

Warranty Active

07/28/2015 4 Northridge Toyota
Northridge, CA
XXX-XXX-XXXX
northridgetoyota . com Pre-delivery inspection completed
Door edge guards installed
07/28/2015 Northridge Toyota
Northridge, CA
XXX-XXX-XXXX
northridge toyota Vehicle offered for sale
08/03/2015 Dealer Inventory Vehicle offered for sale
08/27/2015 myCARFAX Manufacturer Recommended Maintenance Schedules

Old 08-27-2015, 03:29 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,869,623 times
Looks like all 10 of the xBs in stock at that dealership are discounted $1,500, so there is probably some Toyota rebate or incentive they are passing on to the customer to help move these vehicles. If it was just one car, I might question if it was damaged in transit or something, but there are probably not issues on all 10 of them.

Good luck on it!

Old 08-31-2015, 01:05 PM

Hello Everyone,

I had a very busy weekend this past weekend, thus is why I could not reply back right away. I live in Los Angeles and I spent the weekend showing some of my family visiting from the Midwest (that had never been to California before), some of the main sights of the greater Los Angeles area.

Thank you all for all of the great feedback, ideas, and very useful information. I greatly appreciate all of the awesome information that you all have shared with me.

Based on the homework that you did Trbstang, I am going to try to make it down to the dealer this week, to at least take a closer look at the xB that I have my eye on. I never thought to look at the dealer’s inventory to see what the pricing was on their other xBs. Yet I feel so much better that there are at least 10 xBs that are $1,500 below the MSRP. Especially when that one dealer (a few months ago) told me all about the Scion "True Pricing" mode of selling Scions.

Thanks a MILLION Everyone for your help.

Old 09-11-2015, 08:38 PM

UPDATE: I went to the dealer that was 30 miles away last Saturday. I inspected the car thoroughly (the tires, the engine, the interior), and I took it for a test drive. The car was in tip-top shape and looks brand new. So after my test drive, the car had 22 miles on it. Since the dealer stated that I am getting the standard Toyota warranty + Toyota Care for 2 years or 25K miles, I was sold! So I purchased the car in cash right on the spot! With that $1,500 below MSRP, I was able to make the entire purchase total (including taxes and license/registration) for less than 20K out the door! WOO! HOO!

I have now had my xB for 6 days and I love it . . . but since it has been over 19 years since I last brought a new car, I do miss that “new car smell” that seems to be the norm for most brand new automobiles nowadays, NOT to have that “new car smell”. Yet I do recall that the majority of the brand new cars that I looked at (when at an auto show) for the past few years, do not have that “new car smell”.

I know that it will take some driving my new xB to get used to it, however my only complaints are so far is, I wish that it got a little better gas mileage (which I knew it did not get the best gas mileage for such a small car, before I bought it), and there seems to be a bad blind spot (due to the side/roof spot between the back passenger windows and the tailgate . . . which is very noticeable whenever I have to parallel park, and at times while changing lanes.

Yet thus far, I have no buyer’s remorse, and I am thrilled with my choice and have absolutely no regrets in purchasing a xB.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:34 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,869,623 times
Great that you got a good deal on it! My sister and nephew have owned 4 Scions over the years (two 1st gen xBs, a tC, and 2nd gen xB) and had great luck with them. Get some stick on blind spot mirrors and that should help some. I had them on my 2010 Pontiac Vibe GT (Toyota Matrix clone) and it did help. My Vibe (RIP ) had the same drive train as the xB, the 2.4l Camry motor and 5 speed auto, and I usually got 24-25 on my commute, and up to 29 on the highway. Several people on the genvibe.com website get better mileage than I did, but they probably drive a bit more conservatively!

Good luck with it and hope you enjoy it!

Old 09-14-2015, 07:08 PM

Thanks, Trbstang. I’ll look into those stick on blind spot mirrors.

During the early part of this year, I had looked at buying a used Toyota . . . I even considered a clean used Matrix with low mileage, however the prices in my area were so high, I figured I might as well buy a new car. Out of curiosity, why did you buy a Vibe GT over a Matrix, and why did you get rid of it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion