Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 03:28 AM

292 posts, read 427,790 times

Advertisements

Starting with the 2017, Toyota Siennas and Highlanders got a new 8-speed shiftable transmission with overdrive, to replace the 6-speed electronic eCTI U660e transmission. This resulted in 3 more highway MPG supposedly and a significant increase in HP and torque.

So I was all set to accept the most terrific offer I have ever seen on a new 2017 Sienna LE FWD 8-passenger car. He offered it for $25,308, which is $8,460 off the $33,768 MSRP. The car was in my color and had only 3 miles on it. It was his last one in stock.

Then I read about the transmission problems for some people with this car, even after the software update. I backed out. Am I being stupid, or is this too risky? I want this car, but will settle for a 2016 or 2018 instead, or Honda Odyssey.

Here are the problems:

https://www.consumerreports.org/toyo...hift-smoother/

2017 transmission update? - Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TehCjKut5OQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 05:35 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,819,414 times
Have you driven the car? Does the problem exist with this particular vehicle? Is the build-date subject to the TSB and if so, has the dealer done the upgrade?

Old 01-27-2018, 06:42 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Hard to avoid 8 speeds or more nowadays. At least Toyota is good about correcting defects, unlike some other brands that just let them linger.

The only other minivan I know that still uses the 6 speed is the Kia Sedona, and it’s actually a pretty good transmission. It would be worth comparing the two.

Old 01-27-2018, 02:49 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,666,242 times
If you are really concerned then go with the earlier model. I'm confident Toyota is working diligently to get the bugs out as their popularity is exceedingly dependant on reliability, and trouble free operation. People generally don't buy Toyotas for really any other reason. It's what keeps people loyal to the brand.

My understanding is its more of an annoyance issue rather than some of the horrific trans issues some other makers models are dealing with. Still imho transmissions should function flawlessly on any brand new vehicle...unusual gear hunting ect isn't really acceptable. I'm not considering a new Tacoma for this reason.

Old 01-27-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
Have you driven the car? Does the problem exist with this particular vehicle? Is the build-date subject to the TSB and if so, has the dealer done the upgrade?
Yes, it is subject to TBS for models made before March 2017 I think. The problem is the problem still exists after, albeit to a lesser extent. Also in 2018's. Toyota service managers admit this is a known problem and have no way of fixing it.

I just turned down that fabulous offer for a new 2017 Sienna because of this and now have to focus on that 2016 XLE demo or the 2018 Honda Odyssey. I love Toyota, but this issue needs to be fixed first.

Old 01-27-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Hard to avoid 8 speeds or more nowadays. At least Toyota is good about correcting defects, unlike some other brands that just let them linger.

The only other minivan I know that still uses the 6 speed is the Kia Sedona, and it’s actually a pretty good transmission. It would be worth comparing the two.
They are only somewhat good in correcting defects. My 2007 Sienna has a known airbag issue where the airbag fails to activate (defective electrical connection), but the call was only issued up to 2006 model years. Even though 2007 has the same problem.

Old 01-27-2018, 03:03 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,819,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkit View Post
Yes, it is subject to TBS for models made before March 2017 I think. The problem is the problem still exists after, albeit to a lesser extent. Also in 2018's. Toyota service managers admit this is a known problem and have no way of fixing it.

I just turned down that fabulous offer for a new 2017 Sienna because of this and now have to focus on that 2016 XLE demo or the 2018 Honda Odyssey. I love Toyota, but this issue needs to be fixed first.
I'd go for the demo or the Odyssey. I agree with the previous post - Toyota is usually good about this stuff. But, I definitely see the reason to skip the 2017.

Old 01-27-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
If you are really concerned then go with the earlier model. I'm confident Toyota is working diligently to get the bugs out as their popularity is exceedingly dependant on reliability, and trouble free operation. People generally don't buy Toyotas for really any other reason. It's what keeps people loyal to the brand.

My understanding is its more of an annoyance issue rather than some of the horrific trans issues some other makers models are dealing with. Still imho transmissions should function flawlessly on any brand new vehicle...unusual gear hunting ect isn't really acceptable. I'm not considering a new Tacoma for this reason.
You are right SoHoVe! This is whty I turned a spectacular offer for new a 2017 LE. I hated too, but I will go with new 2016 Siennas or the Honda Odyssey.

Old 01-27-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
I'd go for the demo or the Odyssey. I agree with the previous post - Toyota is usually good about this stuff. But, I definitely see the reason to skip the 2017.

Agreed!

Old 10-09-2018, 11:04 AM

1 posts, read 11,818 times
After 3 months of putting up with this ridiculous 8 speed transmission in my 2018 Highlander, it started to develop harsh up/down-shifts between 1-2 and the identity crisis between gears as described. I traded it in on the weekend for another manufacturer/model because I just couldn't deal with it any longer. Toyota dealership is aware of the problem but has no fix for it. Drove me crazy how terrible it drove for such a new vehicle. Toyota got this one very wrong and I hope they come out with a fix for everyone else that hates it as much as I did. I lost total confidence in the longevity by the way it's acting and I wanted to post it for everyone to steer them away from this model and others that have this Direct Shift UA80 series 8 speed transmission like the Camry/Sienna until they have fixed it. SHAME ON YOU TOYOTA for charging such a premium for such a terrible product!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion