Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2008, 12:03 PM

412 posts, read 1,229,416 times

Advertisements

My 01 Toyota Camry doesn't have cruise control. I really want to get it installed because it's a 15 hr drive to visit most of my family.

I called the dealership and was told that they don't sell the part anymore. I called a car shop that installs electronics and they said they could install one @ $300 ($199 part, $100 installation). Has anyone ever done this before and had any luck? I'm just curious to know as I don't want to waste $$ on something that doesn't work well.

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 03:40 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,861,291 times
Are you sure it's not there. When I got my 96 Camry, I had to look for it as it was different from my 86. Check your owners manual. I thought it was a standard feature.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:40 PM
kbg

223 posts, read 345,978 times
I would stay away from after market cruise controls. And its not all just electronics, cruise works off a vacuum pod under the hood to keep the speed level.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:42 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,909,084 times
I would say just forget about it. If it wasn't factory installed you are only looking for problems.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:11 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Actaully I can remember when this was a common thign has most cars didn't come with them unlesss order. They worked fine and work the same as those on cars you order.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:20 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
It's easy to do and works fine, it just looks really ugly.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:45 PM

Thanks for your answers! I think I'm going to at least call and verify the prices and check on their warranty.

My ex-husband is a mechanic at the Toyota dealership, and he seems to think getting the cruise control will be fine. I assumed he knew what he was talking about, but still wanted to hear from others.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:45 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
It may be possible to get the entire system from a junkyard, if you can get the factory system and maybe get your ex to install it, might be the best of both worlds.

Aftermarket system could be fine or could be an ugly add-on that never works really right, and the "zip-tie and scotch-lok bandits" may very well damage your wiring harness doing the install.

Consider trading for a car with the factory-installed system, *if* you are in the mood to trade cars. And you don't have to go to a newer model, could be same year, could even find a good specimen that's *older* than your current ride.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:07 PM

Default good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
It may be possible to get the entire system from a junkyard, if you can get the factory system and maybe get your ex to install it, might be the best of both worlds.

Aftermarket system could be fine or could be an ugly add-on that never works really right, and the "zip-tie and scotch-lok bandits" may very well damage your wiring harness doing the install.

Consider trading for a car with the factory-installed system, *if* you are in the mood to trade cars. And you don't have to go to a newer model, could be same year, could even find a good specimen that's *older* than your current ride.
I will try the junkyards. That's something I didn't think of.

I wish I could afford to trade it in, but I'm still trying to pay this one off LOL! I've only had it 2 yrs, and I know I would lose $$$ on a trade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion