Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 07:50 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,370,923 times

Advertisements

Hi! The auto shop says $375 to get this thing back up on the track, it has slipped down. Does that sound right? Too high? And, how hard to open up the door, and put it back on track? Special tools? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 07:58 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Unfortunately, that is the going rate to get it fixed at a shop.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:01 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,370,923 times
Thanks lvd. Is it a do it yourself type thing at all?

Old 08-30-2009, 08:07 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
Thats way to high but shops are ripoffs so im not surprised. If your husband can remove the door panel the rest is easy. Ask around if anyone knows how to do other then a shop. Im quite sure you could get someone to do it for $100.00 or less. Auto body & mechanic shops are too damn expensive. I avoid them (as much as i can) like the plague.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Thanks lvd. Is it a do it yourself type thing at all?
It depends on how mechanically inclined your husband is. I personally would not attempt it. However, I did look it up, and for a new regulator and motor, you are look at around $120 in parts. Hopefully someone else can chime in here with a little more knowledge on how hard the labor would be to do it yourself.

While we find your parts, please enter your ZIP Code at CSK Auto

Old 08-30-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
Thats way to high but shops are ripoffs so im not surprised. If your husband can remove the door panel the rest is easy. Ask around if anyone knows how to do other then a shop. Im quite sure you could get someone to do it for $100.00 or less. Auto body & mechanic shops are too damn expensive. I avoid them (as much as i can) like the plague.
Well, you know how it goes. They will get the parts at a wholesale place for under $100, then mark them up to $250. Then they charge over $100 an hour for labor, so this estimate does not surprise me. I personally find backyard mechanics to fix my car when it needs work.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:09 PM

773 posts, read 2,630,183 times
Door panel removal tools are relatively inexpensive. The one below is from Crutchfield. Google door panel removal tool.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:14 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Hi! The auto shop says $375 to get this thing back up on the track, it has slipped down. Does that sound right? Too high?
Let's put it this way, how much would a junkyard charge you for a complete door with a functioning window? Yes, $375 would be way too high.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:59 AM

281 posts, read 1,379,059 times
First search the internet for a 1994 Camry service/ repair manual... plenty of them around. The assembly drawings will show you the complexity of the repair, needed tools and parts. Then remove the door panel and have a look at the mess. (You don't need a door panel removal tool by the way - a roast fork will do the same job)

Now you can answer your own question - Do you feel comfortable to get the repair done yourself? If not... no problem, nothing damaged so far. Go and bring the car to the shop. At least you have learned something about your car and the limits of your DIY-capability then.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:47 AM

773 posts, read 2,630,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipZap View Post
First search the internet for a 1994 Camry service/ repair manual... plenty of them around.
You don't need to buy no stinkin' service manual. Pull the door panel and you'll see immediately what needs to be done. It's not rocket science.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipZap View Post
You don't need a door panel removal tool by the way - a roast fork will do the same job.
So will
or or even a roast fork.

BTW, the Swiss Army beer bottle opener (right) works better than the Swiss Army can opener (left), especially after a few beers.
I've never tried using a roast fork — its use probably requires more than a few beers, especially after you have scratched the paint on the door and put a few holes in the door panel.

Seriously, forget the repair manual and buy an inexpenxive door panel removal tool. They coat as little as $5 at auto shops and they make the job go faster and easier.

Following are some user comments from the Crutchfield site. The Crutchfield tool is $10 and probably overpriced, bit I'd still buy it in place of a roast fork.
S&G Tool Aid 87650 Door Trim and Panel Removal Tool at Crutchfield.com

Last edited by Zea mays; 08-31-2009 at 07:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion