Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 08:26 AM

72 posts, read 331,530 times

Advertisements

Howdy folks!

I am looking to upgrade an aging 2000 Echo to something a bit larger and a bit more luxury. This is going to be a secondary family car.

I am looking at used cars, willing to go as old as 2003 and spend up to 15K for a good used Lexus. Finding something with less than 60-70K would probably be ideal

I am looking at used Lexus ES300 & IS 300 (and GS 300 <-- gonna be tough to find with low millage for that price)

If you own one - would you buy it again? If you use it as a family car - would you recommend it for a family of three?

Anything else I should look into with these cars?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 08:57 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,416,797 times
They are very good cars. The ES will be more a family car. The IS has a very tight backseat. Very tight.

See if you can find a Certified Pre-Owned one. It's worth a little extra cash. Gets you a full, Lexus-backed warranty.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:34 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,081,029 times
I had a 1997 ES300 for 10 years. It was (and probably is) a great car! I loved it! I purchased a 2008 Camry Hybrid instead. If the Camry Hybrid was not as roomy or as comfortable to drive, I would have purchased another ES in a heart beat. I convinced my friend to trade in his Jaguar X-Type for a new ES350 and he has loved his new ride.

There was barely any maintenance on the car. I faithfully changed the oil so the only unexpected cost/surprise was when the original battery died when after 6 years of ownership. My ES was, a family sedan. You would not be taking corners like a BMW, but I was not looking for a sports sedan.

It is a great reliable car for anyone.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:57 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
The ES is a Camry with make up on, wrong wheel drive and all.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:02 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
For driving experience, I'd pound the paevement to find a GS that would work, then an IS. The ES is fine, but reminds me of a traditional American sedan interpreted by Toyota, sort of a Buick of a Toyota. It's relaiable and has many nice features, but I prefer a better handling vehicle.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-11-2009, 11:33 AM

72 posts, read 331,530 times
The more I look at it, the more GS looks quite appealing.

I need the back room for a carseat, so as much room as possible needed.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:01 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,328,631 times
03 and up ES's are great. Like someone mentioned, get a Lexus certified one.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:25 PM

Why get a ES when you are paying more for the Lexus badge while basically driving a Camry? It's based on the same platform, same drive train and front wheel drive layout without offering a ton of features that make it worth while over a well equipped Camry. I would go no lower than an IS when it comes to Lexus. The ES is for the person that likes to brag about the Lexus badge without being able to afford the real stars of the Lexus line up (IS, GS, LS).

Old 08-11-2009, 01:32 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,416,797 times
Actually, the ES may share some basic mechanicals with a Camry, but it's a very different car.

Especially as far as quality control goes. Things that slide through in a Toyota plant wouldn't make it past the first QC inspector at the Tahara plant.

It's not just a badge that goes into a Lexus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I would go no lower than an IS when it comes to Lexus. The ES is for the person that likes to brag about the Lexus badge without being able to afford the real stars of the Lexus line up (IS, GS, LS).

The IS is the lowest you can go in the Lexus line-up. It's the entry-level car.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Actually, the ES may share some basic mechanicals with a Camry, but it's a very different car.

Especially as far as quality control goes. Things that slide through in a Toyota plant wouldn't make it past the first QC inspector at the Tahara plant.

It's not just a badge that goes into a Lexus.

The IS is the lowest you can go in the Lexus line-up. It's the entry-level car.
Kind of. The IS250 has an MSRP that is a few thousand dollars less than the ES350 but a better comparison would be the IS350 which is actually more expensive. But I see what you’re saying and I wouldn’t drive the anemic IS250 either. I'm more oriented towards sports sedans so I'm sure the ES offers some things that I just can't appreciate but the entire Lexus range is centered more towards people who like to be driven than those who like to drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion