Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2010, 11:13 AM

15,438 posts, read 25,855,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
What was most frightening to me was she said she tried putting the car in every other gear, including neutral and reverse and it made no difference. (If so, this may be an explanation as to why a driving-trained state trooper could have been killed while driving one of these. Are these cars so "state-of-the-art" that there isn't direct linkage between the gear selector and the tranny any more?)
I believe the tranny shifts electronically and has no direct linkage, but I'm not sure about the model in question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 11:41 AM

6,125 posts, read 7,482,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
If they turn the key too much then it will lock the steering wheel. Then the steering will be much, much harder. Do they lock when using the push button to shut off the engine?
The only time the steering wheel will lock is if the transmission is put into Park. Slipping the gearshift into neutral and turning off the key, or killing the engine by holding in the pushbutton on newer cars, will not lock the steering wheel.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:44 AM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,170,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
If they turn the key too much then it will lock the steering wheel. Then the steering will be much, much harder. Do they lock when using the push button to shut off the engine?
Good point. I think most people in this situation would rather retain their steering capabilities and just wait until the unintended acceleration stopped (if it did). I'm not sure what I'd do if I was in this situation. If I was locked out of neutral, brakes were not working, could not shut the car off...I'd consider myself pretty much screwed.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
Good point. I think most people in this situation would rather retain their steering capabilities and just wait until the unintended acceleration stopped (if it did). I'm not sure what I'd do if I was in this situation. If I was locked out of neutral, brakes were not working, could not shut the car off...I'd consider myself pretty much screwed.
Can you imagine the odds of four different and isolated systems (ECU, transmission, brakes, parking brake) all failing simultaneously that all prevented you from stopping? No way!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-24-2010, 12:46 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,501,218 times
I'm sure the numbers are right under my nose, but I appear to be internet challenged today. How many deaths has this recall caused so far from 2009 on?

Old 02-24-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
I'm sure the numbers are right under my nose, but I appear to be internet challenged today. How many deaths has this recall caused so far from 2009 on?
19 fatalities are claimed over the past decade caused by the UA. I understand 13 of these claimed fatalities were just reported in just the last month or so.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:05 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,501,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
19 fatalities are claimed over the past decade caused by the UA. I understand 13 of these claimed fatalities were just reported in just the last month or so.
Thanks highcotton, can you link that for me? That would be most appreciated

Old 02-24-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Thanks highcotton, can you link that for me? That would be most appreciated
Click Here

Old 02-24-2010, 02:25 PM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,170,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
Can you imagine the odds of four different and isolated systems (ECU, transmission, brakes, parking brake) all failing simultaneously that all prevented you from stopping? No way!!!!!!!!!!
To say that all of the systems are "isolated" is not correct. Every single system that you mention is linked. Maybe in pre-1990 cars some were isolated, but not in today's cars. Definitely not in the defective Toyotas.

How come in a large number of the Toyota deaths, drivers were fully-braking but the vehicle kept accelerating? Under normal conditions, brakes will overpower the throttle every time. Have you ever tried pressing down both pedals simultaneously? The car will not move. Above a certain speed, certain cars will lock you out of a transmission selection. Another example of systems linked.

Unfortunately, a solution which would have worked in an older car would not have been possible in one of these Toyota death-traps. Lets make sure we focus the blame where it should go, Toyota, not the innocent victims.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
To say that all of the systems are "isolated" is not correct. Every single system that you mention is linked. Maybe in pre-1990 cars some were isolated, but not in today's cars. Definitely not in the defective Toyotas.

How come in a large number of the Toyota deaths, drivers were fully-braking but the vehicle kept accelerating? Under normal conditions, brakes will overpower the throttle every time. Have you ever tried pressing down both pedals simultaneously? The car will not move. Above a certain speed, certain cars will lock you out of a transmission selection. Another example of systems linked.

Unfortunately, a solution which would have worked in an older car would not have been possible in one of these Toyota death-traps. Lets make sure we focus the blame where it should go, Toyota, not the innocent victims.
Wrong! They are definitely isolated...and their mechanical operation is not linked. The only links to electronics is the brake's anti-brake feature and transmission's upshift/downshift control. There is no link whatsoever for the parking brake.

Have you not seen the brake test results from Car & Driver I posted? Apparently not. Have you ever done such a test yourself from 70mph or 100mph down to zero while under WOT? With a Toyota or Lexus V6 engine? Have you ever done a test with the transmission selector to slip it into neutral in a Toyota or Lexus while under WOT? Have you ever fully applied the parking brakes on a moving Toyota or Lexus vehicle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion