Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2010, 01:10 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,983,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
It never ceases to amaze me how people do not have the common sense to put their car in Neutral if the accelerator sticks.
I thought an issue is that because of the speed, the computer prevents it from being shifted out of drive, as though it was a mistake.

Granted, I could be mistaken myself, but nonetheless, with more and more aspects going "by wire", the mechanical control that one used to be able to do isn't there anymore. In some cars, even the parking brake is electronic ... because heaven forbid, pulling a lever or pushing on a foot pedal takes too much effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 02:51 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,424,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
You will still see those cars on the road in 15-20 years...unlike some home grown models with bowties and animal head logos.
Exactly. People can try to take cheap shots, but in the end, Toyota will still do well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
And todays American auto makers are not producing junk? Come on now With the exception of Ford and their fine products, the rest of the domestics are total and complete trash.
All those bashing Toyota know this. They're taking advantage at the moment. They'll shut up sooner or later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
Wrong. Newer GM's are quickly becoming as reliable as Toyotas and have higher quality interiors;
Complete rubbish. I don't know what autoshow you went to. It must have been somewhere in Europe, where you were looking at Vauxhalls, not shi-t-t-y Chevy...
With a screen name Mustang84, I can see where the bias comes from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
They should stop selling those models altogether.
Then start back up again by bringing back the MR2, give us a h/b, RWD car (ala AE86), and work on a new Celica GT-S.
Now you're talking. Toyota's mistake was making cars solely to please the boring, non car enthusiast masses. They need to bring the turbo AWD Celicas, MR2 turbos and Supras. They're taking too long, and losing enthusiasts in the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
What I see is a response like no other makers has done to a possible safety problem Certainly not any american manufacturer. They bascallly have sid they will stop sales until it is resolved and I congradulated them If only ford had done this with the explodig gas tanks and igniton fires.What they are shopwing is responsibilty that may set a presidence in the future for recall actions.This is what consumer groups have said for decades.
I respect them to owning up to it, and looking for solutions. Better than any American manufacturer. They'd find ways to hide it, deny it, play blame games...

Does anyone remember Ford Explorers constantly flipping, and tires blowing up? It was a battle between them and Firestone. You couldn't even rent a U-Haul trailer if you owned an Explorer for some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
Well, as to your AE86 comment:
and as for the MR2 and the Celica, you can't say they didn't try a few years ago. numbers just weren't there.
Mike
Again their mistake was too little, too late. Comparing the MR Spyder and the Celica GT-s to what they made before, (MR2 turbo and Celica AWD turbo) they were bound to fail. They were nothing compared to their predecessors. Honda had that market cornered by the mid 90s, and Toyota was playing catch up. Toyota's mistake.

Quote:
This is the greatest PR blunder since the Audi 5000, and will be a deep, if not permanent stain on Toyota's reputation in the US.
We'll just have to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
From many of these responses you'd think Toyota was the first company in the history of autodom to issue a safety recall. And it's kind of twisted how many people seem glad to see Toyota to get bumped down a notch, as if knocking them down will elevate anyone else.
Again, people taking advantage of a situation to bring up their Pintos, Tauruses, Buick Centuries and Chevys, as good cars..
What happened to Toyota does not make American cars better. They're still crap (Ford did improve though, still wont buy one).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas2010 View Post
That's what I thought. I'm a bit concerned driving mine, but mine isn't in the model years recalled.
Too bad, I am a recent LOVER of Toyota/Lexus, and would hate for this to be the demise of them.
Listen, I've owned so many Toyotas in my lifetime, and drive one everyday without fault. (I own 3 Toyotas: 05 Avalon Touring, an IS300, and a Corolla GTS ae86+ a Porsche 944 turbo) at the moment as a matter of fact, and would not have it any other way.

Enjoy yours, it will be on the road for a while. Take care of it, and it will do the same in return.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:35 AM

2,168 posts, read 3,388,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Complete rubbish. I don't know what autoshow you went to. It must have been somewhere in Europe, where you were looking at Vauxhalls, not shi-t-t-y Chevy...
With a screen name Mustang84, I can see where the bias comes from.
Bias? You sound like you haven't sat in a domestic car in 20 years. Stop allowing past prejudices to cloud your judgment. Consumer Reports, JD Powers, and every major auto reporting site agree with me.

Quote:
Based on a new study, Consumer Reports says both Ford and GM have made “real progress” in reliability ratings, although Chrysler did not receive similar good news.

According to the analysis, which drew upon both consumer surveys and vehicle testing, Ford offers several cars that match the ratings of foreign rivals like Toyota and Honda. Ford, the report said, is “in front of the class.” GM made gains as well, although several of its vehicles continue to have reliability problems.

Some of the winners include the Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan, Lincoln MKZ, Cadillac DTS, Ford Taurus, Ford Taurus X and Mercury Sable. The Ford Taurus is being redesigned for 2010, and the Mercury Sable and Taurus X are being discontinued.

GM has a big reason to be happy, too: The Chevrolet Malibu LTZ ranked as the best American car.

The study designates better designs and improved quality as the foremost reasons for the improvement over past years, but it also cites “forward-thinking leadership,” which may come as a surprise to some after watching Detroit’s leadership maligned by the press, government and consumers alike.
Ford and GM Make Strides in Reliability Ratings - KickingTires

This was back in January 2009...they have made even larger strides since then.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:44 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Bias? You sound like you haven't sat in a domestic car in 20 years. Stop allowing past prejudices to cloud your judgment. Consumer Reports, JD Powers, and every major auto reporting site agree with me.

Ford and GM Make Strides in Reliability Ratings - KickingTires

A Chevy more reliable than the Camry and Accord?? This was back in January '09...they have made even larger strides since then.
Yep. Pretty much every major study I've seen supports that the quality gap has disappeared.

What's with all the hyperbole and bashing? This is starting to become like politics. Every manufacturer makes some really good cars right now. If you are religiously brand loyal then that's your choice, vote with your money.

Personally, I just feel it's a great time to be a consumer.

P.S. People forget that when you are making bare-bones cars with few options, fewer things can go wrong. When you put in power everything, sunroofs and so on and so forth....more chances for trouble.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:49 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,175,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
I thought an issue is that because of the speed, the computer prevents it from being shifted out of drive, as though it was a mistake.
i've kinda wondered that myself. from the start of all this, a lot of us have said 'just throw it in neutral'. seems pretty obvious to me. but then on CNN this morning, i heard them say some have repoarted the car won't let them.

according to CNN, Toyota now recommends the following action:

1) two feet on the brakes with constant pressure. no pumping!

2) throw it into neutral.

3) shut off the car, leaving the key in so as to not lock the steering. if your car has a push-button start, you will need to hold the button for 3-5 seconds.

does anyone on here own one of these cars? if so, can you test the 'throw it in neutral' theory? i'm really curious as to whether the car will let you.

Mike

Last edited by whiteboyslo; 01-27-2010 at 07:14 AM..

Old 01-27-2010, 06:49 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
A question regarding " accelerator sticking"-----------If one was driving 60 mph and the accelerator " sticks", wouldn't that mean that you cpould not slow down?

Last night on Nightline, they were re-enacting an " accelerator stick" and showed what happens when one is driving 60 mph and suddenly the car is going over 100mph.

If one is going 60 mph, and the accelerator " sticks", what would be the reason the car would accelerate to over 100 mph? Wouldn't it stay about 60 mph ?

Old 01-27-2010, 06:54 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
I have a 2007 Camry that I bought new. ( 63,000 miles on it now)

I have never had the accelerator stick and am not worried if it did. I would just push the clutch in and let her rev til I was safely coasted off the road then turn the key off.

Glad I ordered my Camry with manual transmission.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:58 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,175,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
A question regarding " accelerator sticking"-----------If one was driving 60 mph and the accelerator " sticks", wouldn't that mean that you cpould not slow down?

Last night on Nightline, they were re-enacting an " accelerator stick" and showed what happens when one is driving 60 mph and suddenly the car is going over 100mph.

If one is going 60 mph, and the accelerator " sticks", what would be the reason the car would accelerate to over 100 mph? Wouldn't it stay about 60 mph ?
assuming the car was at a constant 60MPH, then yes. however, i'm not entirely sold on the concept that the pedal is physically 'sticking'. it sounds like the drive-by-wire system goes loopy and opens the throttle to WOT and then leaves it there, regardless of what the driver does with the pedal.

the way Toyota and the media are describing it (for now) makes it seem as though the pedal physically sticks. then again, these are the same people that said 'ditch the floormats and you'll be OK', then just yesterday morning told people 'the cars coming off the line right now are safe' then recanted later that same day. so trusting them right now would be like trusting a politician.

Mike

Last edited by whiteboyslo; 01-27-2010 at 07:13 AM..

Old 01-27-2010, 07:02 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,818,588 times
This recall will hurt Toyota, but Toyota will still be around. I see people talking about their "demise". They will get through this, and people will still buy their cars. They will still bad mouth American cars. You'll see. Airbus got through it with their planes, Toyota will do the same.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:47 AM

404 posts, read 1,557,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post

good point

i'm sure they are looking into it, but confusion seems dominant atm

i wonder if the cruise control is somehow to blame? if the cars are equipped. sounds weird, but thats the only thing on my car that increases acceleration without the foot being on the gas pedal

meh....just speculating. i don't own a Toy btw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion