Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 06:31 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,712,103 times

Advertisements

New thread to post Debit Card info from the car rental companies- copied from thier site:

(anyone have personal experience to add- feel free)

Alamo: When renting in the U.S., with proof of a round trip travel ticket (airline, cruise ship or train) at time of rental.§ For pick-ups in the United States, without proof of roundtrip ticket, debit or check cards are only accepted when returning the vehicle. A credit card in the name of the renter must be presented at the time of pick-up.

Avis: In most cases, U.S. locations will perform a credit check for debit card renters to determine credit worthiness at the time of rental

Budget: If you prefer to use a debit card rather than a credit card, be aware that some Budget locations will check your credit with a national credit verification bureau

Dollar: If the customer presents a debit card at the beginning of rental to qualify to rent, we will perform a debit card check and credit inquiry screening through Equifax Credit Information Services, Inc.

Enterprise: Airport locations that are able to accept debit cards will require return trip itineraries. Most local renters who would like to use a debit card for their deposit may need to complete a cash qualification process

Hertz: credit scoring process performed through the services of Equifax are very similar to the type of credit checks that are done when a person applies for credit. This credit check is done at the rental location when you arrive

National: When renting in the U.S., debit and check cards may only be used in conjunction with proof of a round trip travel ticket (airline, cruise ship or train) at time of rental

Payless: Debit cards are accepted only with round trip airline ticket

Thrifty: Some locations will perform a debit card check and credit inquiry screening on debit card holders. Please check our General Policies and the local policy of the location where you intend to rent for more specific information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 07:02 AM

1,639 posts, read 5,098,128 times
That is good info. I would say make sure to call individual offices to make sure of their requirements as they can vary from location to location.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:54 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,783,632 times
Those who have poor credit and no credit card should look into getting a secured credit card, where you deposit an amount of money that you leave in the account and that acts as collateral for a credit card. Since a secured credit card is an actual credit card, it works fine for renting a car. Essentially, you will be leaving a deposit with the rental car company one way or another, whether a cash deposit or a debit card "hold" on your funds. You may as well leave the deposit in an account for the secured credit card and not go through the hassle and uncertainty of a credit check at the rental car counter.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:15 AM

1,639 posts, read 5,098,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Those who have poor credit and no credit card should look into getting a secured credit card, where you deposit an amount of money that you leave in the account and that acts as collateral for a credit card. Since a secured credit card is an actual credit card, it works fine for renting a car. Essentially, you will be leaving a deposit with the rental car company one way or another, whether a cash deposit or a debit card "hold" on your funds. You may as well leave the deposit in an account for the secured credit card and not go through the hassle and uncertainty of a credit check at the rental car counter.
I think this is a great idea! I had fogotten about those secured credit cards!

Old 10-27-2009, 06:41 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,181,171 times
I have used a credit/debit card only. Too my knowledge no one ran my credit. It is only to my checking account. Now I am interested to see if they did. Either way no problems.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:49 AM

6 posts, read 39,077 times
I was thinking of 'editing' a past airline itinerary in order to use my debit card. Does anyone know if that would work, or do they actually check the computer/with the airline to determine that you actually were on the flight.....I prepaid for a car reservation on hotwire, not knowing the whole debit vs. credit deal......

Old 08-19-2010, 12:00 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
Keep in mind that credit cards give you more protection in the event of a dispute, A debit card they have your money and you have to get it back, Also They put 'hold' for the amount of the bill, that will limited the balance in your account until the hold clears. 5-7 days if the computer does not match up the charge againsts the hold.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:05 PM

At this point, thats fine. Like I said, I've already prepaid, I live here, and I can't get a new Credit card by the time of my reservation. So, despite the inconvenience, the debit card is my best shot. But, it would be easy to change a few characters on an old itinerary, so long as they don't actually verify it. Do you know if they do, or do they just glance at the itinerary?

Old 08-19-2010, 12:14 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
Not sure what you mean by change a 'old' itinerary? This for a trip you have already completed?

They will never look at. They will only look at you current one. (They make look at a old one in there scoring to calc overbooking there fleet so see what is the likehood of you showing up to pick up the car). But thats done on a High level and has no effect on your actual rental.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:23 PM

I think there might be some confusion. So, rental car companies take debit cards only if you have proof of round trip travel to make sure you come back to the airport. I pre paid for a rental on hotwire for a car in my home city, ie, i won't have that itinerary. So I'm wondering if I fake one by editing the dates of an old, real itinerary, does the rental car company just glance at it, or do they actually verify that I am a passenger on those dates with the computer/airlines?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel