Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 02:11 PM

1,649 posts, read 5,004,553 times

Advertisements

We are scheduled to fly to London from Dulles on July 5th. From there we have two weeks full of plans to travel around England, Scotland, and Ireland.

I have CNN on in the background. I'm conflicted.

If things are *really* critical, will the Brits stop incoming flights? It would have to get much worse than this. Right?

Any experienced travelers out there? Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 04:53 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,037,582 times
Tough call.
My very first solo trip abroad, I flew into London during the Troubles. Security was tight, and there was a bombing my first night. But the stiff upper lift prevailed, life went on. I understand how you must feel. If it was up to me, I'd probably continue with my plans, but that's just me. I realize that flights might be discontinued, but I tend to think this will not happen.

Old 07-01-2007, 08:17 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,027,266 times
We never canncelled flights when the IRA was busy, why should we now.

Old 07-01-2007, 08:48 AM

110 posts, read 573,013 times
I don't believe they will cancel flights, it will probably take you longer to get from airport to airport due to increased security but I would continue with your plans. I mean Glasgow was attacked and the airport was quickly re-opened. Unless something catastrophic happens, I believe flights will go on as normal as possible.

Old 07-01-2007, 02:28 PM

1,649 posts, read 5,004,553 times
Thanks for the input.

I wasn't really *concerned* about flights being cancelled. I was thinking along the lines of 'how dangerous will it get before or if they cancel flights from the US to the UK'.

The world has changed in the last six years. Methods to protect citizens may change even more than they already have. I dunno. Just thinking/rambling out loud.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:02 PM

715 posts, read 1,670,410 times
If you cancel your plans, the terrorists win.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:48 AM

2,408 posts, read 14,397,997 times
Weird. My brother left a few hours ago from Dulles for Munich with a three hour layover in London, and they're a little worried with the tightened security that it won't be enough time. If I were you, I'd just plan on getting to the airports as early as possible and expecting a looooong wait.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:59 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,300,520 times
I hope you enjoy your trip, the British are tough people, they aren't going to let something like this get in their way.

Old 07-02-2007, 03:56 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,636,683 times
Get to the airport in plenty of time to allow for extra security both ways and enjoy your holidays. Statistically you have way more chances of being killed crossing the road or falling over than from a terrorist attack. If we behave differently, start getting worried and alter our lifestyle then the murdering bastards will have won and that is exactly what they want. Cancelling your flights means that they win and we lose. Terrorism is about terrorising us and making life as difficult as possible for us. give in and the war is lost. Have a good time.

Old 07-02-2007, 06:11 AM

578 posts, read 3,063,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockky View Post
Thanks for the input.

I wasn't really *concerned* about flights being cancelled. I was thinking along the lines of 'how dangerous will it get before or if they cancel flights from the US to the UK'.

The world has changed in the last six years. Methods to protect citizens may change even more than they already have. I dunno. Just thinking/rambling out loud.
There is 5 levels of terror alert:
Critical
Severe
Substantial
Moderate
Low

The first two would result in flights being cancelled and airports shut. As many of the others have said its best to get there in plenty of time as security is tight and can take a while even more so in the holiday seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel