Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2011, 11:36 AM

65 posts, read 169,492 times

Advertisements

I was considering purchasing a truck bed camper. I have a daughter and my wife. And we're considering having 2 more rug rats. Can anyone compare and contrast having a truck bed camper vs. a travel trailer with the size of my family now and later? We also have a 12 ft. Jon Boat and usually take it when we go camping, and we go to various fairs and auctions and haul our cattle/trailer. *I have a long bed ext. cab chevy. Thank you.

Last edited by mossberg14; 04-10-2011 at 12:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 11:46 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Truck camper with a tent? If you are hauling boats and or trailers, the truck bed might be a better choice. With 5 people you will be close...

Old 04-10-2011, 11:59 AM

65 posts, read 169,492 times
I know it sounds like a no brainer but my wife insist we get a travel trailer, because of room space. I told her I'd be happy sleeping in a tent. And she would like to have a shower access. Is there much of a price difference in insurance? And are they easy to install and remove?

Old 04-10-2011, 05:44 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
I'd go with the truck camper for now, when more kids come along you can upgrade to the towed trailer,but you may have to leave the boat behind as most states dont allow towing trailer and boat trailer.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:22 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,592,603 times
There are advantages and disadvantages to each. You'll have to decide which one wins based on your needs.

The primary advantage to a truck camper is that you can still tow a trailer behind your truck and have the camper, too. For a family of five, though, it will be extremely crowded, though it can be made to work. As for taking the boat, you could take it on a trailer, or if you get a pop-up type camper, you could carry it on top. The biggest disadvantage to a truck camper (besides being crowded) is that it's attached to the truck, so if you are camping and want to head to town for supplies, you pretty much have to drive the rig as it is, or go through the process of removing the camper. When I had a truck camper, I towed my Suzuki Samurai behind so I'd have something to drive once I arrived in camp. You could pull a towed vehicle with the jon boat on top of it behind the truck camper if you chose to.

An obvious advantage to a travel trailer is that you can get more space, depending on the unit you choose. The other advantage to a travel trailer is that you can leave it in camp while you drive your truck to town. The biggest disadvantage I can see is that you wouldn't be able to pull your other trailer(s) at the same time, so you wouldn't be able to haul your cattle to the fair and take your travel trailer (at least not at the same time). You could take the jon boat, though, if you had your truck set up to carry it on top.

One possible option that you may not have considered would be a stock trailer that has living quarters in it. I've seen them for horses, but imagine they could also be used for cattle. You could then haul your cattle and living quarters at the same time. All the ones I've seen, though, are fifth wheel type trailers, and I don't know if that's something you would consider. You could also rig your truck to carry the jon boat when you tow the trailer, but it would have to be set up so the boat would go over the front half of the truck. What I don't know about this arrangement is how much living space the trailer would provide, and if it would be enough for a growing family such as yours.

As for insurance, I would check with your insurance carrier for pricing. I'm pretty sure both the trailer and truck camper would be covered on your vehicle policy as far as liability is concerned, but for comprehensive and collision coverage, they wouldn't be covered.

When your kids are a bit older, they may want to sleep in a tent. This could provide you with some extra room inside whatever type of rig you end up with.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:13 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
You need something roomy, with Horsepower to tow.

I say go with a Silver Eagle (these are each within the price range of quality new camping units (trailer (too wimpy, too much trouble, no RV access while driving down the road) or premo truck camper (too small for family))
2004 Silver Eagle 10, Bus Conversions RV For Sale in Olympia, Washington | RVT.com - 97782 (just right size )
RVs For Sale : Recreational Vehicles For Sale : Motorhomes For Sale

Old 04-11-2011, 01:22 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Right idea StealthRabbit however the bus conversions may be a bit over the top financially, a used class A rv might do the trick , something like this as an example..

National Surf Side d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel