Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 06:55 PM

22 posts, read 33,465 times

Advertisements

In the future I am thinking about taking my child to Italy. Hes a little young for it right now but when hes older I'd like to go. Does anyone know of a great tour guide service in Italy? Keeping in mind I do have a child. He'll be about 11.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 07:25 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,472,682 times
Italy is extremely child friendly. You won't have any trouble traveling with a child.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:36 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,283,943 times
The best guide is you. Do some reading and research and that way you can explain what you're seeing. May help you as well...

Old 10-09-2012, 10:13 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,426,428 times
It's quite telling how, to the textent of my knowledge, the concept of child-friendly only exist in English.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
It's quite telling how, to the textent of my knowledge, the concept of child-friendly only exist in English.
Mostly because it seems that North America has the unique distinction of being generally child unfriendly. That, due to poor parenting more than anything.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:59 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 58,004,579 times
My 8 an 10 yr olds had a pretty good time in Italy. Especially watching hundreds of 'Dresalia's' JET around on their sccoters in fur coats and dresses while smoking LONG cigarettes! and beeping their horns

Kids are really great opportunities for discussions / help from locals.

Determine interests, give the kid tasks to keep them engaged.

Our kids did budgeting, food buying, schedules, event planning, routes... We homeschooled so they were used to it (bossing us around, and NEVER being 'entertained' by parents, TV?... Video Games?, sorry not in our house).

They did all the currency calculations (pre-Euro). It was fun to go through a produce market and look things over, then turn them loose to come up with stuff for lunch, Kids had a GREAT repore with vendors, and MUCH easier (and fun) bridging language gap. + they became VERY resourceful... (good and bad)

You are very lucky to have the opportunity to travel for FUN with your kids, use it wisely, poof, their gone on their own adventures,,, (Ours went off to college at age 16, to escape 'Dairy-Farm-boarding-School' (where ALL teenagers should be ))

Old 10-09-2012, 04:17 PM

22 posts, read 33,465 times
Thanks for the advice. But since it will be my child and I (and maybe one more adult) I was looking for a tour guide or service other then Adventures by Disney. Just to help us get around and discover Italy. When I say child friendly Im refering to a tour that wont have us in a bus or down the fashion district all day. I would love to learn about Italy but I also want my child to understand the culture as well.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:42 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Instead of telling us, who are NOT tour guides, what you like,
how about telling the tour guide in Italy when you get there ?

Old 10-09-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motivation12 View Post
Thanks for the advice. But since it will be my child and I (and maybe one more adult) I was looking for a tour guide or service other then Adventures by Disney. Just to help us get around and discover Italy. When I say child friendly Im refering to a tour that wont have us in a bus or down the fashion district all day. I would love to learn about Italy but I also want my child to understand the culture as well.
No one does foreign culture like Disney... Why the obsession about having someone else lead you? If you know what you want, or more accurately don't want to see, do some research and find out what you do want to do, and do it. Italy is super easy to get around. The people are nice, the transportation is effective and cheap.

Additionally Italy is HUGE. Where are you going, or want to go? You could easily spend a week in Rome and barely scratch the surface. Do you want Pompeii, Venice, Florence? How long are you going? What's your budget?

The best adventures aren't found around a tour guide.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motivation12 View Post
Thanks for the advice. ... I would love to learn about Italy but I also want my child to understand the culture as well.
Thus why my kids helped plan and do ALL the logistics while traveling and living on 3 continents... They Taught ME (how to be creative, adaptable, fun, adventuresome, AND engaged with local culture.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
...Disney... .... do some research and find out what you do want to do, and do it. Italy is super easy to get around. The people are nice, the transportation is effective and cheap.
...The best adventures aren't found around a tour guide.
Yes, our kids would have never considered Disney while overseas, they had too much fun with locals (we travel via 'private guest homes' so are with new families every few nights.. tough to beat $10 for a bed and meal with a foriegn family). EXCEPT when we had to Hostel on occasion... The kids named those 'Foster-Care-for-college-kids".

Italy can be a great adventure if you allow your kid to EXPERIENCE it the way kids do best!

Tours... I certainly wouldn't consider that much fun, Tho there are places where a 4 hr mini tour can help you enjoy the town on your own for a few days following. Make sure to book a few Agritourismos. (or travel via guest home... same thing (but better) for 1/10th the price)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel