Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 11:03 AM

494 posts, read 1,917,460 times

Advertisements

It's official, I will be spending 3-4 full weeks in China starting mid September to mid Oct. So far I have identified a VERY rough itinerary that will go like this and would like some feedback...

Beijing -> (Great Wall) -> Pingyao-> Xi'an -> (Hua Shan day trip from Xi'an) -> Chongqing -> (Yangtze cruise maybe?) -> Yichang (Three Gorges dam) -> Luoyang -> Nanjing -> Shanghai

I think I would need 4 weeks at least otherwise it would be very tight since I am planning 4 full days in Beijing and at least 3 full days in Shanghai.

One concern that I have is that my trip will be over the Oct 1-7 holiday season... what can I expect during this time and how can I prepare for it? What exactly will be closed during this time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 11:38 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,924,409 times
I was once in China for their holiday season. (October is otherwise a great time to visit, because the weather is neither to hot nor too cold). I visited the Great Wall near Beijing. It was a Great Wall totally covered with people. I had imagined taking a long stroll along the wall. Not possible with all the people crowding the wall.

I had the impression that all of the attractions were open, but very crowded.

4 weeks should allow leisurely exploration. Another interesting city to consider, not too far from Shanghai, is Hangzhou.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:52 PM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
It's official, I will be spending 3-4 full weeks in China starting mid September to mid Oct. So far I have identified a VERY rough itinerary that will go like this and would like some feedback...

Beijing -> (Great Wall) -> Pingyao-> Xi'an -> (Hua Shan day trip from Xi'an) -> Chongqing -> (Yangtze cruise maybe?) -> Yichang (Three Gorges dam) -> Luoyang -> Nanjing -> Shanghai

I think I would need 4 weeks at least otherwise it would be very tight since I am planning 4 full days in Beijing and at least 3 full days in Shanghai.

One concern that I have is that my trip will be over the Oct 1-7 holiday season... what can I expect during this time and how can I prepare for it? What exactly will be closed during this time?
I assume that you plan to visit the Forbidden City while you are in Beijing. During the week of Oct. 1-7, the Forbidden City is overloaded with Chinese tourist groups and there is a daily quota of how many people are let into the Forbidden City area. So plan to be there early in the morning by 8:30AM and be prepared to be surrounded by crowds of people that one can only move as the crowd does in order to get to the ticket window to buy one's entrance tickets. This is from personal experience.

Also when one visits the Forbidden City be careful not to stand at the wrong ticket windows which are just to visit a smaller monument and are several feet away/before one reaches the ticket windows for the Forbidden City. The way you will be know this is because the ticket price listed is much lower than the entrance fee for the Forbidden City.

You also might want to consider visiting Jinan, the capital of Shandong Province (which is a major stop on the high speed rail between Beijing & Shanghai) for its 72 springs and lovely Daming Lake. Also in Shandong Province is Qufu which is the hometown & birth place of the famous Chinese scholar Confucius. Qufu is not too far from Jinan.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:10 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
Shanghai is not worth three full days. Spend 'em in nearby Suzhou instead.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:20 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
We found China to be a good trip, quite interesting, though it had crowded tourist areas and Bejing was extremely smoggy. Have fun, it's different and you'll enjoy it.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:18 PM

494 posts, read 1,917,460 times
thanks for all the replies Actually, only the very last week of my trip will be Oct 1-7 and I anticipate being somewhere between Yichang and Shanghai.

@Slackjaw, thanks I will look into cutting time in Shanghai, perhaps spend the extra day in Hangzhou as I plan to depart from that airport to KUL on Air Asia anyway.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:50 PM

385 posts, read 859,335 times
If you enjoy the old style China tha you would see in some old movies then check out the Hougong ( old city )areas of each major city, most are from the Qing and Ming dynasties.
Good luck in you travels, have fun, wish I were back there now

Old 06-18-2012, 04:58 PM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
thanks for all the replies Actually, only the very last week of my trip will be Oct 1-7 and I anticipate being somewhere between Yichang and Shanghai.

@Slackjaw, thanks I will look into cutting time in Shanghai, perhaps spend the extra day in Hangzhou as I plan to depart from that airport to KUL on Air Asia anyway.

In Shanghai, I highly recommend you take Dvir Bar-Gal's tour of Jewish Ghetto of Shanghai (even if you are not Jewish) as he gives an extremely good general background information about development of Shanghai (see Shanghai Jewish). The tour takes a few hours but it is flexible time-wise and worth every penny.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:57 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,924,409 times
> perhaps spend the extra day in Hangzhou as I plan to depart from that airport

Then a day in Hangzhou is a no-brainer. Walk around the lake, maybe take a boat out to one of the islands, spend some time at the temple.

I haven't been to Suzhou but have heard it is also nice. If possible you may want to find out how different Suzhou and Hangzhou are if you are thinking of visiting both.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:57 AM

304 posts, read 782,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Shanghai is not worth three full days. Spend 'em in nearby Suzhou instead.
While in Suzhou, check out the Suzhou Museum designed by American architect I.M. Pei.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel