Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 04:08 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,411,370 times

Advertisements

I'm kind of a dummy with this, but I want to make sure I'm not overpaying for airfare here. TPA-to-LAX for $540 round trip. Granted it is non-stop, but even with connections I'm finding the same price on other airlines. I'm looking at late-May but even when searching other dates for fun it's about the same.

I could have swore it was once cheaper than that. I fly to NYC pretty frequently, and that is always $200-250. I expect a minimum of $300 total for longer trips, but not much more than that.

I'm not opposed to paying this much as it is kind of within my budget, but I just want to make sure I am not paying too much. Maybe a year or two ago it was a lot cheaper? How come flying to Vegas or elsewhere on the West coast is much cheaper? Combination of it being LAX, fuel prices rising, etc.? Something I'm not thinking of?

It is a hell of a long flight, after all. Especially if I took the non-stop flight. Can someone assure me? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 04:27 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,995,583 times
Well Jet Fuel Prices are up, Capacity is down. Tampa is generally a higher cost city to go in/out of. Can you go out of Orlando? Can you go in to different LA area airport? Can you move your flight to other days?

Non-Stop get a higher prices, And delta Knows they can fill the plane at that price.

Look for connection, might add 90 min each way but can save your ~100-200$ ,,,

Also Check Southwest, they only sell thru there website, so it won't show up in the Online Sites like Orbitz.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:24 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,003,070 times
Buying about what 6-7 weeks in advance that is a very fair price. The cheapest flight I have ever had from Miami or DC to LAX was about $280 round trip. I've done Miami-La many times I usually book it a few months in advance and get around $350-$400 not even two months I think $540 is a decent price. Another thing is Tampa-la is only flown non-stop by one airline. You will find Miam/Ft. Lauderdale-La and even Orlando-la to be a bit cheaper because many more airlines are competing with each other on the route.

Sometimes connections are cheaper sometimes they are not. The flight is not that long, going there inset bound is a little bit longer but it's not bad at all. But I'm someone who has done multiple 12hr+ flights.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:49 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,411,370 times
Yes, only Delta does the non-stop. That I was aware of. I seem to be getting the same prices whether connecting or how far out I book.

Thanks for your help!

Old 04-05-2012, 09:31 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,615,441 times
I just checked Virgin America. You will get a steal of a deal for late May (on a Tuesday or Wednesday - the cheapest days) if you go through Orlando International Airport. Departure prices for a flight from Orlando to LAX is $189 and depending on the return date - $210 or $330. I would get your tickets now. Summer flights out of FL are always super expensive. Good luck. Virgin America is the one of the most advanced and fun airlines you could fly in this country. I'm still stunned by their high-tech planes, high quality interior, and low cost.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:52 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,003,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I just checked Virgin America. You will get a steal of a deal for late May (on a Tuesday or Wednesday - the cheapest days) if you go through Orlando International Airport. Departure prices for a flight from Orlando to LAX is $189 and depending on the return date - $210 or $330. I would get your tickets now. Summer flights out of FL are always super expensive. Good luck. Virgin America is the one of the most advanced and fun airlines you could fly in this country. I'm still stunned by their high-tech planes, high quality interior, and low cost.
I agree Virgin America is great. But I do not think saving $100 is worth going out to Orlando. Those Orlando prices are about the same as Miami-LA prices, they are pretty good right now but I would not call $189+210 or 310 a "steal".

Old 04-06-2012, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
I agree Virgin America is great. But I do not think saving $100 is worth going out to Orlando. Those Orlando prices are about the same as Miami-LA prices, they are pretty good right now but I would not call $189+210 or 310 a "steal".
Yes, true. However, under the circumstances, with high airline prices, and where he lives, I think it's a pretty good deal.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:49 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
I tend to agree. I live near JAX airport and only ever made the drive to Orlando airport once. Time is money.

OTOH, I've heard nothing but good things about Virgin America.

I flew to LAX last week for a long weekend. I bought the ticket about 6 weeks in advance.
It was on Delta and on the way home it was a redeye. The flight left at 1:40 in the morning. No that is not a typo.

Flying coast to coast is a long haul even when it is nonstop. My situation is somewhat assuaged by the fact that I only ever travel with a purse and one small carryon.

I had to make connections both ways, all four planes were packed, including the 1:40am flight. Service was especially dismal coming out of LAX, we were not even offered coffee.
Total cost was $400.

I am looking at flights to Colorado in mid-July this summer, and I am re-thinking my strategy. Maybe driving to Orlando would not be such a bad idea, too bad Virgin America does not fly there.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:29 AM

4,621 posts, read 4,888,677 times
Seems pricey to me, but I've never flown to LA and haven't been to FL in 25+ years. Last spring I did fly from SFO to DCA for ~$300 per person for 3 people.

Do you need to land at LAX? Long Beach or Ontario often are cheaper to fly to.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I am looking at flights to Colorado in mid-July this summer, and I am re-thinking my strategy. Maybe driving to Orlando would not be such a bad idea, too bad Virgin America does not fly there.
What the heck? Yes they do in fact fly to Orlando. I checked the website. Virgin America flys to and from Orlando and Fort Lauderdale airports. That's the only reason I brang it up in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel