Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 01:45 PM

162 posts, read 304,230 times

Advertisements

I mean as a whole country. All states in US including Alaska. Every Provence in Canada. As q whole. What countries have "better" mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 01:54 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Define "better."

I've traveled extensively through both countries and think the Candian Rockies between Jasper and Banff are the most beautiful. That said, they've got nothing on the Alps.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:59 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
There's really nothing more majestic than Banff as far as the Rockies are concerned. The only things I can think of in the US that come close are the Maroon Bells near Aspen, Colorado, and the Grand Tetons in Wyoming.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:08 PM

I am going to have to hook up "Jasper and Baff". Really? I thought the San Juans in Colorado, Cascades and Sierras Nevada could compare. Mount Denali "McKinley", Mount Rainier, Mount Hood, Shasta. I understand the Tetons are great. I have been to the Alps and was very unimpressed. Well I guess neithier can compare to the great Himalayas.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:09 PM

Changing MY QUESTION NOW. What are the most beautiful "mountain rangers" in the world.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Define "better."

I've traveled extensively through both countries and think the Candian Rockies between Jasper and Banff are the most beautiful. That said, they've got nothing on the Alps.

Wow! Banff national park is now on my list. As for the Alps when I went I was very unimpressed. Thanks for the suggestion!

Old 08-26-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
There's really nothing more majestic than Banff as far as the Rockies are concerned. The only things I can think of in the US that come close are the Maroon Bells near Aspen, Colorado, and the Grand Tetons in Wyoming.

I just found out about Banff. I want to visit Grand Teton and just hooked up Maroon Bells. As I noticed your in Colorado, I am surprised you're not more impressed with the beauty of the Rockies and San Juan's like the million dollar highway.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:46 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,213,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I completely agree. Banff and Jasper are truly stunning and I have been a few places in the Alps which were beautiful but not quite as dramatic in my mind. Banff took my breath away. The contrast between the peaks and the lakes is incredible.

The Maroon Bells (especially in fall), the Tetons and the eastern Sierra Nevadas (the backside of Yosemite) are personal favorites.

(full disclosure; I used to live in CO.)

Old 08-26-2012, 02:57 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ny1964 View Post
I just found out about Banff. I want to visit Grand Teton and just hooked up Maroon Bells. As I noticed your in Colorado, I am surprised you're not more impressed with the beauty of the Rockies and San Juan's like the million dollar highway.
It's not that I'm unimpressed by them, it's the fact that the other places mentioned offer a striking contrast of scenery. Both the Maroon Bells and the Valley of the Ten Peaks in Banff are framed by mountains and lakes, and the Grand Tetons rise up dramatically from the surrounding terrain.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:37 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
The view of the mountains behind Lake Louise. That's something you'll keep in your head forever. If the weather permits, you MUST go to Moraine Lake. Absolutely worth the drive. And the Athabasca Glacier. Just amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel