Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 10:24 AM

8 posts, read 17,170 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been to Mongolia in April? I am wondering about the temperature and if I can survive the cold even though I would take the correct gear.
I returned from Dubai a month ago and the heat was unbearable. I can normally cope with all weather but just wanted some advice,
Please dont tell me to stay at home !
P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 02:26 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,091,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatBee65 View Post
Please dont tell me to stay at home !
I think Mongolia sounds like a really cool place to see.
An online friend of mine visited Mongolia--I think it was May.
If you dress in layers I would think you would be okay.
Weather in Mongolia

Old 10-07-2007, 08:29 AM

Default Mongolia

Thanks for that. I live in the North East of England so am quite used to the cold ! Mongolia seems that little bit different so I hope to go there.
2 years ago I did a trek in Nepal which was Fabulous. I think everyone should go there at least once.
Pat

Old 10-23-2007, 09:40 PM

351 posts, read 1,876,391 times
If you haven't already seen it, look for the movie "Weeping Camel." It's a fascinating look at Mongolia (and will excite you even more!)

Old 04-17-2008, 12:09 PM

THankyou I will look out for that. I must apologise for the delay in replying but I had forgotten my password and tried so many times I gave up. I think its an age thing.I couldnt be bothered to renew it but have tried what I thought it was and BINGO !
Then i have looked everywhere for the replies.
As you will gather I am not a whizz on the PC but I get there ------Eventually !!!
Thanks again
Pat

Old 04-18-2008, 04:45 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,668,963 times
I went in May and it went from about 5 degrees Celsius to about minus 10 depending on where you were, which is fine really. Wear lots of layers. Natural fibres are much better.

You do get a lot of wind on the steppes so remember to pack either a balaclava or a long scarf to wrap you cheeks and head with. The sun can be incredibly strong and coupled with the wind you will find your skin can end up feeling like shredded leather at the end of the day especially if you are riding. Take plenty of emollient face cream and high sun-block.

The Terelj National park and and Bgod Khan NP are fantastic so be sure to visit. The Hustai NP ( ?) is also wonderful and the only place as far as I know where the wild Takhi ( Przewolksi) horses still roam anywhere in the world.

Central Mongolia is fascinating with some great historical sites such as the ruins of Karakorum ( Genghis Khan's Capital) and the Erdene zuu and Tuuvkun monasteries. Eastern Mongolia was the native place of Ghengis and it abounds in many historical and archaeological sites.

If you do decide to visit the Gobi desert make sure you have a very good local guide or "outfitters". They should be able to fix you with some camel herders for a suitable mount.

Western Mongolia is mainly Kazakh ethnically and you will notice the difference in culture, language , music etc...
It is home to Mongolia's largest lake ( if I remember correctly, it was over 20 years since my visit!), Lake Uuvs.

Be sure to enjoy the wildlife, try to spend a few nights in a Ger with some nomads in the steppes, try the mare's milk and horse meat but whatever you do , do not eat Marmot. It is vile, really, really vile. The meat that keeps on giving... It is incredibly gristly , tough and you will chew on it for hours. It is also still a potential carrier for the bubonic plague. I had it and it was awful. Really, really awful....

Mongolians are friendly and very hospitable and you will have a wonderful time.

Regarding the weather it depends on which part of Mongolia you go as obviously it's pretty huge with a huge variety of climates and landscapes.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:48 AM

Default Mongolia

Well if I never get to Mongolia at least I can say I have been to Whitney !
My son emigrated to Bicester but returned up North about 7 years ago.
THanks for all the very interesting information. Its just making the effort to go really.I did that before I went to Nepal but when my fellow ramblers kept on at me I booked up.
I fancied staying in a Ger but would avoid the food you mention like the plague!
Pat

Old 04-18-2008, 12:11 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,668,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatBee65 View Post
Well if I never get to Mongolia at least I can say I have been to Whitney !
My son emigrated to Bicester but returned up North about 7 years ago.
THanks for all the very interesting information. Its just making the effort to go really.I did that before I went to Nepal but when my fellow ramblers kept on at me I booked up.
I fancied staying in a Ger but would avoid the food you mention like the plague!
Pat
It's amazing how many people have lived in or near Witney. I am constantly amazed , I have now met so many people all over the world , as far as Russia, Kerala and Alaska . It's almost like the centre of the world.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:24 PM

Smile mongolia

Yes thats true. Once in Bicester this guy spoke and asked what part of Geordieland we were from.He was originally from about 2 miles from where we live AND it turned out he was my best friends cousin ! Then in 2002 I flew to Australia to join a tour. On that I met a young lad from about 8 miles away
and I still meet up fortnightly as he persuaded me to join his walking club
The saying goes "Wherever you gan youre sure to meet a Geordie"
Pat

Old 08-26-2008, 02:37 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,295,570 times
I will be flying there tomorrow, for two weeks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel